• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Trust your GPS/SATNAV system ? Think twice!! SL500 gone swimming....

g8crasher

2yttkd1.jpg

£96,000 Merc written off as satnav leads woman astray

by ANDY DOLAN - More by this author » Last updated at 20:27pm on 16th March 2007

This is what happened to a driver who put her faith in her satellite navigation system – she ended up in deep water. The £96,000 Mercedes sports car was swept away in a swollen river and the motorist had to be rescued as it sank.

Sometimes it is good to question modern technology

The driver, the latest of many to be led astray by satnavs, was on her way to a christening party in Leicestershire when she was sent down a winding track usually used only by farmers in their 4x4s.

Although the track is signposted as ‘unsuitable for motor vehicles’, the driver carried on and found herself at a ford in the village of Sheepy Magna.

Still accepting what the satnav told her, she set out to cross the ford, but it was swollen after days of heavy rain.

The Mercedes SL500 was swept 600 yards downstream, bouncing fromone bank of the River Sense to the other as the woman, in her late 20s and from London, frantically tried to escape.

She was finally rescued by villager Alice Clark when the car ran aground.

Miss Clark, a 24-year-old stables owner, said: ‘She was screaming “help me, help me” as she struggled to get the door open.

‘I waded in to the chest-deep water using a log as a buoyancy aid.

‘Just as I reached her the electrics went, causing the windows to open and even more water started gushing in.

‘Had I not held on to some barbed wire attached to the bank and the log I would have been swept away.

‘Luckily she was not a big girl so I desperately hauled her through the window into the river.

‘Seconds later, the car became completely submerged as it filled with water.’

Miss Clark’s boyfriend then took the woman, who gave her name only as Hayley, to a motorway service station where a chauffeur-driven Bentley collected her.

Miss Clark said: ‘Afterwards she sent me a big bouquet of flowers to say “thank you”.’

The car remained stuck in the river for a week after the incident on March 3 until it was recovered by a tow-truck. It is believed to be a write-off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=442730&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

I still believe in a GPS. The advantages outweighs any reason.

We just have to understand technology and whatever engineering that goes into any equipment and know its limitation. GPS instruction is as good as the map that the equipment is using to navigate. An old map not updated will still get you lost, we need to learn how to effectively use a GPS map and not follow the instructions blindly.

Guest tlow728

I still believe in a GPS. The advantages outweighs any reason.

We just have to understand technology and whatever engineering that goes into any equipment and know its limitation. GPS instruction is as good as the map that the equipment is using to navigate. An old map not updated will still get you lost, we need to learn how to effectively use a GPS map and not follow the instructions blindly.

Fully agree with your statement "not (to) follow the instructions blindly".

Money can buy you great cars and latest equipment but may be not the brains and common sense to use them correctly ;D ;D.

Guest kepiting1sg

With a tua neh neh....slurp!

One wan tua neh neh, another one wan tua kar chng!

Walan! U two will make a good threesome......wakakakakakak! ;D ;D ;D

Gimme a five and say yes to SAFE SEX!

safesex.gif

My sincere apologies to the moderators if U feel this picture is offensive.

U have all the rights to delete this post! ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

I think you have just given a very honest interpretation of safe sex. The picture is funny. :laugh:

Have to keep up my reputation as a respectful Lam HumKu & Hamsup Unker....wakakaka! ;D

Guest pipn8ez

U have all the rights to delete this post!

unker your promotion of safe sex meets everyone's approval.. ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

U have all the rights to delete this post!

unker your promotion of safe sex meets everyone's approval.. ;D ;D

Wa!!!! Where have U been hiding?

This wan your virgin post.....hehehhee!!!!....must gip U ang pow or not????? ;D ;D ;D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest angela

£96,000 Merc written off as satnav leads woman astray

by ANDY DOLAN - More by this author » Last updated at 20:27pm on 16th March 2007

This is what happened to a driver who put her faith in her satellite navigation system – she ended up in deep water. The £96,000 Mercedes sports car was swept away in a swollen river and the motorist had to be rescued as it sank.

Sometimes it is good to question modern technology

The driver, the latest of many to be led astray by satnavs, was on her way to a christening party in Leicestershire when she was sent down a winding track usually used only by farmers in their 4x4s.

Although the track is signposted as ‘unsuitable for motor vehicles’, the driver carried on and found herself at a ford in the village of Sheepy Magna.

Still accepting what the satnav told her, she set out to cross the ford, but it was swollen after days of heavy rain.

The Mercedes SL500 was swept 600 yards downstream, bouncing fromone bank of the River Sense to the other as the woman, in her late 20s and from London, frantically tried to escape.

She was finally rescued by villager Alice Clark when the car ran aground.

Miss Clark, a 24-year-old stables owner, said: ‘She was screaming “help me, help me” as she struggled to get the door open.

‘I waded in to the chest-deep water using a log as a buoyancy aid.

‘Just as I reached her the electrics went, causing the windows to open and even more water started gushing in.

‘Had I not held on to some barbed wire attached to the bank and the log I would have been swept away.

‘Luckily she was not a big girl so I desperately hauled her through the window into the river.

‘Seconds later, the car became completely submerged as it filled with water.’

Miss Clark’s boyfriend then took the woman, who gave her name only as Hayley, to a motorway service station where a chauffeur-driven Bentley collected her.

Miss Clark said: ‘Afterwards she sent me a big bouquet of flowers to say “thank you”.’

The car remained stuck in the river for a week after the incident on March 3 until it was recovered by a tow-truck. It is believed to be a write-off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=442730&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments

well.. a very similar incident happened to me once. i was using my new map king which came incl. with my hp ipaq hw6965.

from adam road i was heading towards toapayoh via lornie road. listening to the gps was fine all along, until i came to thomson road. instead of directing me towards the pie to use jalan toa payoh exit, it told me to turn left into toa payoh rise. i was wondering, is this a short cut? after travelling 1/2 way thru, i reached a no entry sign, and a taxi was headed in my direction. i was stunned for a moment as the gps unit told me to proceed forward.

note the green circle signifying the 1 way route which was just after the no entry sign. pls also note that i had updated the map just 2 days before taking that route. therefore it was no mistake due to outdated maps.

4txjrrk4-th.jpg