• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Recommendation for component speakers

Guest angela

Guest angela

My MB-Quart component speakers uplorry already. Need to replace and my budget is around 300+.

Any good recommendation within this price range?

BTW, are component speakers at 500+ twice as good as the ones at 300+?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My MB-Quart component speakers uplorry already. Need to replace and my budget is around 300+.

For $300+, a popular choice would be the CDT CL61.

I'm thinking of selling my year old DLS R6 but only if I can find the crossovers - seem to have misplaced them.

Guest angela

Bro, can i ask r u really into ICE?? Because if yes, i would say save up and get a good one though its more expensive but at least u wun change it every now and then. I have did what u did before. In the end i pay more for trading my previous ok speakers to a much much better ones. No necessary that a 500 will be as good as the 300. Most important is what kind of music u listen to.... Music with more high which includes instruments and vocal. And Mid like mid vocal, bass, drum.

Just an advice. Buying is u.

i no pro... just from my knowledge.

Cheers....

Guest angela

Bro, choosing a pair of speakers is very subjective. if u were to hear too many recommendations, u will only confuse urself, trust your ears and work within your budget. There lots of speakers in the market , set ur budget and get the best out of it.

Guest kepiting1sg

Bro, choosing a pair of speakers is very subjective. if u were to hear too many recommendations, u will only confuse urself, trust your ears and work within your budget. There lots of speakers in the market , set ur budget and get the best out of it.

Well said!!! ;D

Guest angela

You guys will be laughing if I tell you what music I listen. Mostly the loud music, trance, dance, type of music. Occasionally I play jazz and instrumental. I find that the high pitch sound of guitar strings or the punch of earth shattering base makes me high. :)

I don't remember which model of MB-Quart I had, and I think I paid 500-800 for it 8 years ago. I was told by a recent installer that an equavalent model is around 300+ (price has come down). Is this true?

BTW, how do you trust your ears? I don't think any of the installer will be willing to install the speaker on to your car and let you decide.

Guest kepiting1sg

You guys will be laughing if I tell you what music I listen. Mostly the loud music, trance, dance, type of music. Occasionally I play jazz and instrumental. I find that the high pitch sound of guitar strings or the punch of earth shattering base makes me high. :)

I don't remember which model of MB-Quart I had, and I think I paid 500-800 for it 8 years ago. I was told by a recent installer that an equavalent model is around 300+ (price has come down). Is this true?

BTW, how do you trust your ears? I don't think any of the installer will be willing to install the speaker on to your car and let you decide.

There's nothing to laugh what music you listen too.

My favorites are female vocal, but even at my age I still listen to Techno, Trance & House. ;D ;D ;D (Wanna get high....come to Pleasure Island and pay me a visit.....wakakakaka ;D)

I used to have 2 pairs of MBQuarts QM218.61Q.

I found them to my liking while others find the tweeters bright. (to each it's own)

The local ICE forums do have meetups. It's the time and opportunity to get into each ride & listen to their sound system.

What the installer put in their showroom for sound demo will sound diff. from the accoustic in the car.

Guest angela

Seems like we have the same taste for music. ;D ;D ;D ;D

For the MB-Quart you have (QM218.61Q), how much was it? The model looks quite familiar, and may be what I have. Mine was installed by Cartoon too 8 years ago.

When is the next forum meeting? I would really like to listen to some of the high end system the folks here have.

When is the next forum meeting? I would really like to listen to some of the high end system the folks here have.

It's at Labrador Park 6pm. BBQ session. Not sure how many I/C/E masters will be turning up but you are more than welcome to join in!

I'm not too big a fan of the MB Quarts as I find them a tad bit too bright. Strangely enough, I do have some friends who have similar listening tastes and run MB Quart speakers in their systems! Also remember hearing some Focal Utopia 165W tweeters which were pretty bright as well.

Guest kepiting1sg

Seems like we have the same taste for music. ;D ;D ;D ;D

For the MB-Quart you have (QM218.61Q), how much was it? The model looks quite familiar, and may be what I have. Mine was installed by Cartoon too 8 years ago.

The MBQuart QM218.61Q used to sell around S$1200 per set.

At the lowest the price went down to S$800+

This is how it looks like in it's original box.

466031803_0827456d92.jpg?v=0

I used 2 pairs of the QM218.61Q for my blasting mounted on my old W124 bootlid.

I got them from Cartoon too.

I //ed the 2 pairs and put 2 x 700WRMS @ 2 ohm into them.

Who's talking about over powering speakers......wahahahahaha!

When blasting you can hear the speakers >100m away on that quiet stretch of Seletar Reservoir.

Here's a picture of them.

160357_33_full.jpg

Guest kepiting1sg

KP, with your kind of setup. I wonder wat kind of female vocal do you really listen to :)...A female vocal unplug heard 100m away...wow :laugh:.. *scratch head*

There were 2 systems in that ride.

One system for normal listening with the front 2 way speakers and a pair of subs in the boot playing while the rest of the speakers in the booy including the pair of 10" subs are shut off.

The other system is "for public entertainment" when the boot is open, alternator voltage cranked

up to 14.5V, engine speed @ 2000 rpm. ;D

So the female vocals can be listened as In Car Entertainment or Public Address broadcasting. ;D ;D ;D

Guest angela

Wow...you are really ICE crazy. Big Salute to you. :)

Put in 2 x MB-Quart system + sub for public entertainment...... BTW, the MB-Quart did look a little like mine...I forgot how the box look like anymore. hehehe

So do you think a 300+ rainbow can beat this pair of MB-Quart component?

Guest kepiting1sg

Put in 2 x MB-Quart system + sub for public entertainment...... BTW, the MB-Quart did look a little like mine...I forgot how the box look like anymore. hehehe

So do you think a 300+ rainbow can beat this pair of MB-Quart component?

IMHO, No! If it's a lower end MBQ, yes! ;D

Guest jenvid

unker kp aka unker batam

is an ICE Guru!!! hehehe :laugh:

Judging from his 'old pics' of ICE setup, I can only conclude that the poison is so deep that it no longer runs is his blood. He is fully infused... ;D ;D ;D

Personally I have yet to listen to one of these setups, really wonder how bad is the poison...

Guest kepiting1sg

Judging from his 'old pics' of ICE setup, I can only conclude that the poison is so deep that it no longer runs is his blood. He is fully infused... ;D ;D ;D

Personally I have yet to listen to one of these setups, really wonder how bad is the poison...

heheheheh!!!!!.....Went for ICE's posion detoxification program!!!!

There's no poison left in me anymore and I am back to normal! ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

His pics has his W203 with the ribbon tweeters[drool...] & Sony XES ::)lor...

XES Z50 old tech liao lah!

Nowadays people sinking their $$$ for Alpine F1 or Pioneer ODR.

BTW Sam still has his old set of XES-Z50, he can't fit it into his RX8.... ;D ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

Kepiting1sg,

Detoxification? I don't think so. It is in your DNA, not blood. ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW, any picture to show on the ICE of your W203?

Hope you like these pictures! :)

455038041_eb11ebf69b.jpg?v=0

455038005_22d7c26738.jpg?v=0

455030032_5297a0a160.jpg?v=0

455038037_67bcf0f00c.jpg?v=0

455038039_b3e5dde49f.jpg?v=0

Cheers!

Guest angela

Looks good bro. Thanks for sharing.

This is really a hobby of constant upgrade. Things that used to be the top of the line may become obselete in the future. Just like my obseleted Nakamichi headunit. ;D ;D ;D

I am using the 6 channel rockford that is 70w per channel, and was told recently that no one uses 70w anymore. Most of the amps are at least 100w per channel. So the technology is constantly evolving. Won't be surprise that 20 years from now, the amps are 1000w per channel. ;D ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

Looks good bro. Thanks for sharing.

This is really a hobby of constant upgrade. Things that used to be the top of the line may become obselete in the future. Just like my obseleted Nakamichi headunit. ;D ;D ;D

I am using the 6 channel rockford that is 70w per channel, and was told recently that no one uses 70w anymore. Most of the amps are at least 100w per channel. So the technology is constantly evolving. Won't be surprise that 20 years from now, the amps are 1000w per channel. ;D ;D ;D

I've not done any upgrade over the last 3 years.

My ICE set is about 10 years old and I am quite happy with it.

Likewise I have not dun anything to my cheapo home audio for the last 10 years. ;D

IMHO,

6 x 70WRMS from a RF amp which is an unregulated amp.

Meaning the specs. are rated at 6 x 70WRMS @ 14.3V.

Your car electrical system is running around 13V to 13.5V.

So what actually get pumped out is less than 6 x 70WRMS @ a lower voltage.

Furthermore being a Class AB amp, U have efficiency loss to heat which is

about 40%. Therefore what U get from your RF will be probably less 6 x than 35WRMS

going to your speakers.

Nowadays U do get amps that pump out >1KWRMS, but they are mainly Class D amps

used for driving subwoofers.

For a handful of Class AB amps that "really" pump out 1KWRMS, they really suck hell of a lot of current from the alternator.

It's quite common nowadays to pump something like 150W to 200W to a mid/woofer

driver and about 100W to a tweeter.

Cheers!

Guest jenvid

Sorry ah... really sotong to car ICE. But with that kind of wattage (1kWRMS) driving the speakers, what kind of sound level (dB) do you listen to in the car ?

Havent really look at car speaker specs, but are they really that difficult to drive ? We're not talking abt apogees and celestion seal box eh in car speakers eh ?

BTW what the decent wattage required for listening at say 80dB ? Will bring my SPL meter & see wat db I listen to in my car....hmm...

For all I know as one age, more wattage required cuz ear sensitivity does down the drain. also partly cause by blasting.

Guest kepiting1sg

jenvid ]

Sorry ah... really sotong to car ICE. But with that kind of wattage (1kWRMS) driving the speakers, what kind of sound level (dB) do you listen to in the car ?

Havent really look at car speaker specs, but are they really that difficult to drive ? We' wrote:

jenvid ]

Havent really look at car speaker specs, but are they really that difficult to drive ? We' wrote:

Please lah! U not sotong lah!

1KWRMS mainly for driving subwoofers lah!

I do see @ least 1 local car pumping 1 x 2KWRMS @ 1 ohm to his 12" IDMax to ensure

during the IASCA competition for the SPL portion, he wants to score the full marks for meeting =/> than 135dB.

Previously I did pumped 700WRMS per channel to 2 sets of component speakers;

not for SQ listening but for "blasting purpose" or public entertainment. ;D

There are guys out there who go for SPL contest too especially in the MY IASCA competitions.

And for ICE competition, the reference volume for the judges is @ 90dB(if I remember it correctly and I dun listen to that kind of volume too. ;D)

Like I said in my thread, pls read in more detail hor!

Nowadays U do get amps that pump out >1KWRMS, but they are mainly Class D amps used for driving subwoofers.

For a handful of Class AB amps that "really" pump out 1KWRMS, they really suck hell of a lot of current from the alternator.

It's quite common nowadays to pump something like 150W to 200W to a mid/woofer

driver and about 100W to a tweeter.

IMHO,

Those winners in the ICE competitions, I dun like U & me will like to listen to their "competition settings" ;D

BTW, My current ICE in my SG ride total only 580WRMS @ 4 ohms nia.

it's planned that if there's an IASCA competition, it will be classified below <600WRMS.

i.e Amp is rated at 2 x 50WRMS @ 4 ohm but it is driving my pair of 2 ohm mid/woofers @ 2 x 100WRMS @ 2 ohm.

Another similar amp rated at 2 x 50WRMS @ 4 ohm is driving 2 pairs of 4ohm tweeters wired in // to run at 2 x 100WRMS @ 2 ohm.

For my subwoofer, I am running them stereo with the amp rated @ 2 x 190WRMS @ 4 ohm, but I am running them to drive 2 pairs of DVC 3 ohm subwoofers i.e

2 x ??? WRMS @ 1.5 ohm.