• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C200(W204) Radio system Stock upgrading

Guest 9339

Hi All , do any one already upgraded your original telephony/CD system? Care to share as i am planning to do so soon. My CD playing got no problem but FM reception are not that perfect. Any advise. TQ

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi All , do any one already upgraded your original telephony/CD system? Care to share as i am planning to do so soon. My CD playing got no problem but FM reception are not that perfect. Any advise. TQ

Mine is a W203, it does not have a telephone system but I've upgraded the stock I.C.E while I've a after market HU, I still keep the stock HU and the CD changer that came with it. This way, I still maintain some steering controls for the stock I.C.E. For my phone, I use my Garmin GPS Bluetooth for connections.

I am still using the FM tuner on the stock HU and it don't gip me any reception problem.

Anyway, I usually don't listen to the FM channels or the DAB channels available with my ICE.

What will you like to upgrade? ;)

Guest kepiting1sg

Was thinking to leave the Ori on. add on some amp and change the speakers or so on, was it advisable?

Yes! Adding amp/amps and changing the speakers are possible upgrades that you can do.

IMHO, changing of the speakers will give have "noticeable" improvements.

Alternative 1: Speaker output --> High-Low Adapter --> RCA Out --> Amp --> Component Speakers (Passive X-overs)

Alternative 2: Speaker output --> High-Low Adapter --> RCA Out --> Processor--> Amps --> Component Speakers (Active X-overs) + Sub/Subs

• 1 month later...
Was thinking to leave the Ori on. add on some amp and change the speakers or so on, was it advisable?

Of course advisable. We always welcome more kakis into installing ICE. The investment pays itself off (intangibly of course) when you're partner/wife notices you're happier listening to good music instead of focusing on lousy drivers and bad traffic.

I suggest you take guru kepiting1sg's recommendation of Alternative 2. You will save more money in the long run if you take this route as an excellent system to convey the signal is already in place and you just need to change the speakers if you don't like the sound.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angela

Can anyone out there advise if you have a W204 and have upgraded your ICE. I went to Pin Liang, Autobacs and Nam Huat, all of them have never done any job on W204, and all said that they rarely come across a Mercedes upgrading ICE, thus all of them do not come across as confident on the job.

I am very keen to upgrade my ICE, but really do not want any installer out there to use my car as trial and error.

BTW, I am thinking of executing:

Alternative 2: Speaker output --> High-Low Adapter --> RCA Out --> Processor--> Amps --> Component Speakers (Active X-overs) + Sub/Subs

and was quoted 4k plus.

Guest kepiting1sg

Can anyone out there advise if you have a W204 and have upgraded your ICE. I went to Pin Liang, Autobacs and Nam Huat, all of them have never done any job on W204, and all said that they rarely come across a Mercedes upgrading ICE, thus all of them do not come across as confident on the job.

I am very keen to upgrade my ICE, but really do not want any installer out there to use my car as trial and error.

and was quoted 4k plus.

What you spent eventually depends on your hardware and the installation & tuning skills of the installer.

You might wanna get a quote from 2 of my former installers without any obligations.

They are

1. Swift Motion in Kaki Bukit Road 1 - Sam Tan - Tel: 62966330

2. New Generation AutoSound Enterprise - Cartoon aka Elson - Tel : 63486220

Guest dunno

I have a W204 and just got the stock audio upgraded this week.

High quality and clean job. Installer was very careful.

Stock HU --> Speaker output --> High-Low Adapter --> RCA Out --> Amps --> Component Speakers (passive X-overs) + Sub

You may want to check them out. Since they just did my car, shouldn't be an trial and error.

You can mention the black C-class.

Dimension Audio - Roy - Tel 6254 4472

(Balestier area)

Guest angela

THANKS guys!! I was on the verge of giving up as I thought I have gone through all installers in this universe without finding one who has done it.

Just curious "dunno", what was your damage and do you feel that the SQ is worth the money you spent?

Guest angela

and was quoted 4k plus.

What you spent eventually depends on your hardware and the installation & tuning skills of the installer.

You might wanna get a quote from 2 of my former installers without any obligations.

They are

1. Swift Motion in Kaki Bukit Road 1 - Sam Tan - Tel: 62966330

2. New Generation AutoSound Enterprise - Cartoon aka Elson - Tel : 63486220

Thanks "kepiting1sg" for your recommendation, coming from you, they must be of certain standard. But I think they are truly the high-end installers for people with plenty of cash $$$. I can't go that far, gotta settle for something within small budget an dperhaps upgrade next year after winning the Hongbao Draw for 2009.

Nevertheless, I will check them out and perhaps size up what I can look forward to in my 2nd phase.

Guest dunno

I used my old amp and component speakers taken from my previous ride.

Paid about S$1,600 for high-low + sub + cables + installation.

As for if the SQ is worth it, well it definitely sounds better than stock.

But if the $$ is worth the SQ, then it depends on your ears....if you are really irritated by low quality sounds, then it would be money well spent.

Guest angela

I used my old amp and component speakers taken from my previous ride.

Paid about S$1,600 for high-low + sub + cables + installation.

As for if the SQ is worth it, well it definitely sounds better than stock.

But if the $$ is worth the SQ, then it depends on your ears....if you are really irritated by low quality sounds, then it would be money well spent.

Thanks.

This is comforting for me. At least I know that the HU is still usable to achieve great sound if we invest in the rest of the equipment. I was a bit worried that the HU is so bad that the money spent on amps and speakers will go to waste.

I assume you did not install a processor like the Alpine H701..? Do you have any idea how much diference it's gonna make, and by foregoing it, will I be losing out a lot?

The sub u got must be pretty high-end, $1,600 for those stuff sounds like high quality stuff.

Guest dunno

The SQ is better than stock, but not so sure if it is great. ;D

Not too familiar with the 701. I always have a limited budget, so prefer to spend it on higher quality stuff.

If I get the 701 and compromise on the other components, then there is only that much a 701 can do.

You could check with the installer I mentioned, I knows he tunes 701 as well.

Actually, the high-low, sub and cables were about the same price.

Guest lsk005

and was quoted 4k plus.

I did mine at this shop called Chop Yong Moh in East Coast rd. All my previous ride r done by them. They tuned the system manually.Price wise,quite reasonable.Look for the boss,Frankie.

Chop Yong Moh

Address: 386 East Coast Rd Singapore 428989

Telephone: (65)-63441854

Guest kepiting1sg

I did mine at this shop called Chop Yong Moh in East Coast rd. All my previous ride r done by them. They tuned the system manually.Price wise,quite reasonable.Look for the boss,Frankie.

Chop Yong Moh

Address: 386 East Coast Rd Singapore 428989

Telephone: (65)-63441854

Yong Moh brothers Richard & Franky.

They used to do my ICE back in the early 80s to early 90s. OMIGOD!...that's >20 years ago...hehehe... ;D

I shifted when I went for competitive ICE. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest angela

Just got my "ICE" upgraded".

Simple, but effective for now.

A simple 4 -channel amp to drive front component and sub. The sound is a world of difference already.

I know that it is still a bit "messy" cos I am not running active with a processor...this will come in phase 2.

I'm glad I did the little upgrade for now, definitely worth it.

Guest kepiting1sg

Just got my "ICE" upgraded".

Simple, but effective for now.

A simple 4 -channel amp to drive front component and sub. The sound is a world of difference already.

I know that it is still a bit "messy" cos I am not running active with a processor...this will come in phase 2.

I'm glad I did the little upgrade for now, definitely worth it.

Congratulations!

IMHO, the front component speakers will have brought out the big. diff. ...ENJOY!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest angela

Thanks kepiting1sg.

I was also recommended (for my upgrade later) the "new" Alpine PXE-H650 as a processor instead of the standard H701. Do you happen to know which whould be a better option? The 650 is supposedly very much more technologically advanced, but you do not have the controller to "play" around with and set various presets, you only tune it once and that's it.

I was also told that 650 will cost more than the 701 (just the processor), but I found that in US, it is cheaper than the 701. Do you happen to have any insight? Many thanks in advance.

PXE-H650 is designed for OEM integration and it uses only RCA inputs. If you want to keep your existing headunit and equipment at factory levels then the PXE-H650 would be the way to go.

The PXE runs an algorithm to flatten the frequency response in your vehicle by calculating sound data it reads at several locations (using a mic) in your vehicle. It provides 500 EQ points for adjustment.

PXA-H701 requires the RUX-C701 controller fitted in your console area to ensure you can have access to all functions as not all Alpine head units are able to gain full control of the H701.

Guest Kermit

My humble opinion is that one should not got for those limited "automatic" sound adjustments types of processors that only uses a mic to "tune". A totally flat response sound is rarely musical, and it hardly has any characteristics/dynamics. As of now, the most important aspect will be getting the most out of the speaker output signals from the HU. Those common Hi-Lo converters usually have quite a bit of "signal loss" and will degrade your SQ to a significant extent. So far, I got to know that Genesis has a 4-ch Hi-Lo converter which is quite good in SQ. Alternatively, one may consider the Rockford 3Sixty.2 (which accepts Hi-level signals, and flattens it!) which presents more options for tuning (EQ and TA). I'm going to try out the RF soon. Will let you guys know of the results...

• 3 months later...
Guest 9339

Had just did a ICE upgrade on my W204.

Stock HU, added 1x 4way, 1x 2way amp, Change all speaker to to rainbow(forget what model), Kickers 8" Sub.

SQ better than i can think of. Did it @ Autotrend Toa payoh Ind Park. :thumbsup:

Guest kepiting1sg

Had just did a ICE upgrade on my W204.

Stock HU, added 1x 4way, 1x 2way amp, Change all speaker to to rainbow(forget what model), Kickers 8" Sub.

SQ better than i can think of. Did it @ Autotrend Toa payoh Ind Park. :thumbsup:

Congratulations to your ICE upgrades! :thumbsup:

Now sit back & enjoy your music! :rockon: