• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

SLK down SLK down!!!

Guest SgLaKsa

Guest SgLaKsa

Hello eveyone,

Here's a really paiseh experience of mine, my SLK ran out of petrol last week and i rolled it to a stop by the road shoulder along PIE (towards Tuas) just before the Eunos exit :-[ :-[ :-[. Called my brother for help and he bought a tin of petrol for me and we did a really messy filling-up right there.

My tank went totally empty and that was when i found out that we can actually do a one touch starting with our ignition key, just ignite and let go of the key and it'll crank until the engine starts. Since my tank was empty, it kept cranking after i released the key, but of course the engine did not start running.

The question is, will there be any problem to my ride if the tank runs out of petrol??? Any problem at all??? Hope someone knows something about this and can advice me. ;D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is, will there be any problem to my ride if the tank runs out of petrol??? Any problem at all??? Hope someone knows something about this and can advice me. ;D

did the gas indicator not lit up ? I think it is quite bad for auto trans ...

Guest SgLaKsa

Raskie ]

The question is, will there be any problem to my ride if the tank runs out of petrol??? Any problem at all??? Hope someone knows something about this and can advice me. wrote:

did the gas indicator not lit up ? I think it is quite bad for auto trans ...

It did lit up to inform that its on reserve tank, i was trying to use up the petrol and try other brand of petrol but ended up on empty hahaha :P :-[ How bad is bad? Are you able to mention some possible threats???

well you can also see your total mileage clocked for this tank? hehehe

I did that on all my rides only once but with a spare jerry can of petrol in the boot

yup best dun think often! its really not good for fuel pump and the engine it self!!

if i remember correctly once the reserve lights are on, you got only 20Km more to go.

SG so small, sure can find petrol station within that radius!

Guest SgLaKsa

well you can also see your total mileage clocked for this tank? hehehe

I did that on all my rides only once but with a spare jerry can of petrol in the boot

yup best dun think often! its really not good for fuel pump and the engine it self!!

if i remember correctly once the reserve lights are on, you got only 20Km more to go.

SG so small, sure can find petrol station within that radius!

i read that the reserve is 9L for SLK200, so should be able to travel at least 60KM after reserve light is on. can let me know why is it bad for the fuel pump? Or engine?

Guest SgLaKsa

Hi thanks for all your responses,

can anyone help to briefly describe the consequences, i really like to know what i might have possibly caused and get it checked before it too late. There's really nothing much i can do now except to understand what might be affected ??? ??? ??? pls help. Thanks.

Guest millionmilebenz

Ok I did some googling as I'm also interested to know the reasons behind all the advises I've heard (i.e. don't run out of gas!) Here are some I found:

From "Professional Mechanics Online" http://www.2carpros.com/topics/injector.htm

Question: 2005 Volvo V70 mileage: 20,000. If a fuel injected car runs out of gas, will the engine be damaged?

Answer: Running out of gas should not damage the engine, however, if one were to keep trying to start the engine with no gas, the fuel pump may be damaged.

From "My Honest Mechanic" http://www.myhonestmechanic.com/articles/water-in-fuel-tank.shtml

It’s fairly common for the bottom of the fuel tank to contain dirt, rust, and some water droplets. The best way to prevent damage to the electric fuel pumps (which is located inside the fuel tank) is to refill the tank when you are at 1/4 of a tank or slightly less...don’t wait until tank is on E.

When the tank is empty the fuel pump starts to suck up all that junk and send it to the engine. That junk damages the pump, restricts the fuel filter, clogs the fuel injectors etc. etc so the engine runs bad and eventually the pump blows up and dies.

From a Yahoo forum http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080109212345AAWBxiQ

Which basically says the same thing - picking up debris at the bottom of the tank, etc.

HOWEVER, in your case, since your SLK is probably still relatively low on mileage, I would guess your fuel tank would not have too much debris in it. Those things get accumulated as little bits get pumped/dropped in over the years.

Guest SgLaKsa

millionmilebenz ]

Ok I did some googling as I' wrote:

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/injector.htm[/url]

Question: 2005 Volvo V70 mileage: 20,000. If a fuel injected car runs out of gas, will the engine be damaged?

Answer: Running out of gas should not damage the engine, however, if one were to keep trying to start the engine with no gas, the fuel pump may be damaged.

From "My Honest Mechanic" http://www.myhonestmechanic.com/articles/water-in-fuel-tank.shtml

It’s fairly common for the bottom of the fuel tank to contain dirt, rust, and some water droplets. The best way to prevent damage to the electric fuel pumps (which is located inside the fuel tank) is to refill the tank when you are at 1/4 of a tank or slightly less...don’t wait until tank is on E.

When the tank is empty the fuel pump starts to suck up all that junk and send it to the engine. That junk damages the pump, restricts the fuel filter, clogs the fuel injectors etc. etc so the engine runs bad and eventually the pump blows up and dies.

From a Yahoo forum http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080109212345AAWBxiQ

Which basically says the same thing - picking up debris at the bottom of the tank, etc.

HOWEVER, in your case, since your SLK is probably still relatively low on mileage, I would guess your fuel tank would not have too much debris in it. Those things get accumulated as little bits get pumped/dropped in over the years.

Brother MMB,

From your effort and kindness to search and provide the above info, i really feel that a simple 'thanks' is really not enough ah ;D Ok lah, KFC kopi on me during this month's la kopi session ok? You want fried chicken also can lah ;) kekeke

Guest millionmilebenz

Brother MMB,

From your effort and kindness to search and provide the above info, i really feel that a simple 'thanks' is really not enough ah ;D Ok lah, KFC kopi on me during this month's la kopi session ok? You want fried chicken also can lah ;) kekeke

You're most welcomed, Bro! And many thanks for the kind offer! Just come to our next meet-up and you'll be doing a favour back for SGMerc already! We need more members, more Mercs, our goal is to have a bigger presence than BMW.SG!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest SgLaKsa

Thats 600 Spartans VS 10600 Warriors leh. Very ambitious indeed but at least we'll try hor. But sometimes a smaller group also has its own goodness... Like having a much friendlier environment for example. Its like a Kampong and a Country, which do you think has a friendlier environment where everyone knows everyone else? keke...

Guest millionmilebenz

Very good point, SgLaKsa! Wise words indeed...

Yes, it's a very tough objective to meet due to the inherent demographics of Merc drivers vs BMW drivers. However, that demographics is changing with the refreshing styling and performance in the new Merc's (e.g. W204), so we have hope!

I also agree that the friendly kampong feel is a wonderful thing that we have going for us. A good testiment to that is our fellow members who have defected to the "Dark Side" and the "Animal Kingdom" (hint hint ;) ;) ) but still stay very very active with us.

Cheers!