• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

17" RIMS for W124

Guest Jazz_Saint

Guest Jazz_Saint

Dear Sifus again,

after running for 6 months on my 15" AMG Monoblock, I am looking into upgrading to a 225/45/R17 Rims. However, I have heard mixed opinion on this. I was advised to use the original 17" AMG rims at 112 ET35. This is because the holes in the rims those days allow the M12 size screws to fit snugly into them.

The newer Rims, even with the same offset and pcd, have larger holes that allows M14 size screws. If I get these Rims on the W124, these holes will be bigger and only a small area of the screw head is in contact with the Rims. My fear is that at high speed, this may cost wobbling.

I went to several Rims shops and they told me that it is ok and there is no problem. Of course the car workshop sifus will tell me differently.

Can any of you experts provide an opinion on this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazz_Saint wrote:

Dear Sifus again,

after running for 6 months on my 15" AMG Monoblock, I am looking into upgrading to a 225/45/R17 Rims. However, I have heard mixed opinion on this. I was advised to use the original 17" AMG rims at 112 ET35. This is because the holes in the rims those days allow the M12 size screws to fit snugly into them.

The newer Rims, even with the same offset and pcd, have larger holes that allows M14 size screws. If I get these Rims on the W124, these holes will be bigger and only a small area of the screw head is in contact with the Rims. My fear is that at high speed, this may cost wobbling.

I went to several Rims shops and they told me that it is ok and there is no problem. Of course the car workshop sifus will tell me differently.

Can any of you experts provide an opinion on this?

Firstly, if your car is lowered, expect rubbing with 225/45/17. I used to run that width on me old Monoblock IIs and downsized to 215s because of rubbing issues especially with the front fender.

In order to use newer wheels from W211 series cars, you will need a hybrid bolt that has the M12 x 1.5 shaft with an M14 head seat.

Pack No.4 is what you will need from the link below.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/option/bolt_packs

Guest Jazz_Saint

Thanks again for your advise.

I went to the website to view the bolts and it looks good. Don't they have the types that has a M12 diameter on the screw section of the bolt and a larger M14 diameter nearer to the bolt head? That would be perfect!

About the rim size, if you go on 215 tires, wouldn't the wheel diameter be smaller than stock?

• 1 month later...
Guest Countach

g8crasher wrote:

Firstly, if your car is lowered, expect rubbing with 225/45/17. I used to run that width on me old Monoblock IIs and downsized to 215s because of rubbing issues especially with the front fender.

In order to use newer wheels from W211 series cars, you will need a hybrid bolt that has the M12 x 1.5 shaft with an M14 head seat.

Pack No.4 is what you will need from the link below.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/option/bolt_packs

Hello G8,

This is one of my near future plan, to use 17" with 205 instead of 215 or 225. Original plan was to use 18" rims but heard from W124 owners than 17" max for W124. So...,!

I prefer those new 5 spokes or BMW/VW look-alike sports rims selling in Stamford or what else got better selection. I do not know if any are suitable for W124.

So, when I am ready to buy these rims. I just order a set of those M14 bolts from the UK and I am all set!?

Any advise anyone can share because I too, do not want wobbling issues. I also thought I ask this because I have NOT seen any W124 with crazier looking set of wheels on the road yet! Its always original, Lorinser or AMG.

• 1 year later...