• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

D.I.Y. Upgrade your Audio 20 to Comand APS w/Navigation

Guest ricric_lo

Guest ricric_lo

Believe a lot of W204/W212/W207 owners want to get their Audio 20 upgrade to a Comand APS (w/DVD playback & navigation feature). However, C&C offering such option at SG$14K really scare a lot of owners away.

I've been doing the retrofitting such with W169, W203, W211, R171, W204, W212 & W207 . In fact, retrofitting Comand on W204, W212 & W207 is not a complicated things. You can also D.I.Y. for the retrofitting which can let you save a lot. With my humble pass working experience at MB's official dealer, I'm pleased and confident of providing Comand retrofit service in person or offer a D.I.Y. kit for you at a very reasonable price as well.

It's 100% Plug-and-Play in 40 Min, just 10 steps. Interested party, please email to [email protected]

N O W - The Promotional Price for the D.I.Y. Kit just at SG$2.5K for Single / SG$3.2K for 6 Disc Changer

**ree Gift - Backup Camera & Cable 100% fit for your W204/W207/W212 for first 5 bros**

Hopefully you can enjoy using Comand APS soon on your ride!

Guest ricric_lo

The post coding not recommended to be done by the user, as it's quite risky if you have no knowledge about how to operation MB DAS software but the Comand head unit shipped will be pre-coded to fit your ride. Thus, I can arrange coding on monthly basis.

I'm compiling a D.I.Y. kit which roughly at around SG$2.5K for W204/W212/W207 with all parts, tool required and instruction. if anyone interested, please push.

Cheers

Guest blackmercs

ricric_lo wrote:

The post coding not recommended to be done by the user, as it's quite risky if you have no knowledge about how to operation MB DAS software but the Comand head unit shipped will be pre-coded to fit your ride. Thus, I can arrange coding on monthly basis.

I'm compiling a D.I.Y. kit which roughly at around SG$2.5K for W204/W212/W207 with all parts, tool required and instruction. if anyone interested, please push.

Cheers

Question time :-

1) Define yr DIY. After installation, any issue who to look for?

2)What's the charges if full installation done by you instead?

3) The price that you quoted is it single or 6 disk player with GPS function?

4)Also why coding needs to be done on monthly basis?

Guest ricric_lo

Hopefully, the following FAQ unleash everyone queries about "Comand Retrofitting APS".

The D.I.Y. kit not suitable for anyone wants to get service in Roll Royce class service but may fit for who interested in getting Comamd APS Retrofit on their ride at a very reasonable price.

Hopefully, I can answer your questions while what I earn just coordinate all the purchasing at the prices at SG$2.5K, verifying the functions of each parts with my humble pass working experience at MB's official dealer, ensuring parts provided correctly as well as provide support to help you to get the installation done correctly!

**Free Gift** will be offered to first 5 bros want to place order.

**Free Gift** are Backup Camera (100% fit the pre-cut hold for W204) with cable fit for connecting the Comand APS, just bring the camera/cable to any workshop they can help you to install**

FAQ:

Q1: Do I need to read a lengthy manual to kick start the retrofit operation?

A1: The whole installation would not be more than 20 steps, roughly it's about 4-5 pages.

Q2: Do I need to dissemble a lot of parts to get the installation done?

A2: There would not be more than 4 parts you need to disassemble from your ride.

Q3: Will it cause problem to other parts if I'm doing something wrong?

A3: Before the installation start, we suggest disconnecting the related fuses inside the fuse box for the Comand & its display whereas it's no chance to cause any problem to other part of your ride.

Q4: Do I need any special tools to get it done?

A4: We'll supply all the tools required together with the D.I.Y. kit.

Q5: Do I need to cut any electric cable/cord to during the course of the installation.

A5: No, we'll prepare and supply the retrofit cable inside the D.I.Y. kit, simply plug-and-play with the instruction given.

Q6: How can you ensure the Comand you supply will fit my ride?

A6: We'll get your VIN number to check your's car configuration shipped ex. factory and pre-coding all the necessary information into the Comand to fit your car.

Q7: What's the condition of the Comand you ship?

A7: The Comand we ship is used but refurbished in mint condition, we can guarantee the cosmetic condition is 95% new and there is no color wipe off on the front panel.

Q8: Why you don't ship 100% new Comand?

A8: It would be very expensive if we buy this kind of 100% new parts from the factory and therefore we could not bring you the Comand at a reasonable price. In addition, only dealer's DAS (Diagnosis Assistant System) is able to code a new Comand. Don't be fooled by someone told you they can do the SCN Coding at Singapore for new parts like Comand. Used parts don't need to be initialized by SCN Coding. No one can do it without dearler's DAS at Singapore as Mercedes not leasing any DAS to the user/workshop in Asian countries.

Q9: Does it affect dealer's warranty for my ride.

A9: To be very honest, surely C&C not happy with such retrofit regardless of who does it but they have no right to void your warranty as all parts we're using are genuine Mercedes Benz parts.

Q10: Can you code my Instrument Cluster to display the navigation instruction and street name at the speed dial?

A10: Yes, we can get this thing done without any problem but subject to an reasonable additional charges at US$150 per coding.

Q11: Will you update my VeDoc (Data Card) to show the SA Code of the Comand?

A11: No, no one can change your VeDoc data in Singapore despite what kind of coding they claimed they can except the dealer. Or one might take the risk of their DAS leasing contract being suspended by Mercedes, bascially no leasing DAS officially and legally allowed by Mercedes to be operated by third party in Asian countries.

Q12: Can I get the Map Update in the future.

A12: The Map Update will be included if any new version released within one year.

Q13: Any warranty offer?

A13: We're offering 1 year 1 to 1 warranty.

Q14: If finally I could not get the installation done, what supposedly I should do.

A14: We can offer on-site installation service but subject to the schedule and additional charges at SG$500 per installation inclusive of coding your IC.

Q15: How can you guarantee you'll ship the D.I.Y. kit after I paid.

A15: You can choose Paypal to settle the payment and Paypal will provide dispute attribute service as long as I do not ship out the goods or the goods condition doesn't fit what we have claimed. However, payment made by Paypal subject to 6% additional surcharges.

Q16: Is there any Money Back guarantee?

A16: Yes, we offer 14 days Money Back guarantee for any reasons but the buyer has to be responsible for the freight charges and so on if the cause of the goods return not raised from us.

Q17: Can I reverse the retrofitting to the original Audio 20?

A17: That's really the core part of D.I.Y.. If it's been done by any installer, probably you may or may not. However, you can reverse it anytime you like without any additional charges if the installation done by yourself.

Guest ricric_lo

Sorry to everyone,

Above quote is for Comand with Single DVD Drive. 6 Disc subject will be at SG$3.2K covering W204/W212/W207.

Before I can find someone qualified to operate MB DAS programming, I will come to Singapore on monthly basis for coding your instrument cluster to display the navigation information. Thus, the Comand has been pre-coded and configured with your ride and it works except IC show no navigation info before coding done.

Cheers

Guest blackmercs

ricric_lo wrote:

Sorry to everyone,

Above quote is for Comand with Single DVD Drive. 6 Disc subject will be at SG$3.2K covering W204/W212/W207.

Before I can find someone qualified to operate MB DAS programming, I will come to Singapore on monthly basis for coding your instrument cluster to display the navigation information. Thus, the Comand has been pre-coded and configured with your ride and it works except IC show no navigation info before coding done.

Cheers

Thanks for the humble replies. I m not expecting Roll Royce services either but just want to make sure not another guy comes from overseas after installation leaves us high & dry when needs advise to rectify any problem. Before you starts a group buy here, are u willingly come over to Singapore to install just a set or requires 5 set or more?

Guest ricric_lo

To be very honest, Comand is not a complicated stuff compared against other parts inside car. It's just something called Telematics things running on a WinCE OS. Software setting basically no need to change anything inside the Engineering Mode as it's been pre-configured according to your ride configuration found from VIN. If problem found, email and telephone support basically can easily overcome the problem.

When hardware problem found, dealer also would not open your Comand and repair the electronic stuff inside, as the user will know how to uninstall the Comand head unit (never found any problem on the display) and we're offering 1 to 1 swapping within 1 year on the condition that the warranty label on the Comand not broken and simply the user can swap the original Audio 20 as a spare until the another head unit shipped as an interim measure. Thus, you have to wait even your Comand fitted by dealer if no parts available while if your ride still can run, the dealer would not offer a spare ride for you in such kind of circumstance.

I just need to take 3 hours flight to SG, I don't think it's a big issue to visit SG very often.

Surely there is nothing 100% prefect in this world and I think the local installers and the dealer also cannot serve their customer on 7x24x365 basis.

Cheers

Guest blackmercs

ricric_lo wrote:

To be very honest, Comand is not a complicated stuff compared against other parts inside car. It's just something called Telematics things running on a WinCE OS. Software setting basically no need to change anything inside the Engineering Mode as it's been pre-configured according to your ride configuration found from VIN. If problem found, email and telephone support basically can easily overcome the problem.

When hardware problem found, dealer also would not open your Comand and repair the electronic stuff inside, as the user will know how to uninstall the Comand head unit (never found any problem on the display) and we're offering 1 to 1 swapping within 1 year on the condition that the warranty label on the Comand not broken and simply the user can swap the original Audio 20 as a spare until the another head unit shipped as an interim measure. Thus, you have to wait even your Comand fitted by dealer if no parts available while if your ride still can run, the dealer would not offer a spare ride for you in such kind of circumstance.

I just need to take 3 hours flight to SG, I don't think it's a big issue to visit SG very often.

Surely there is nothing 100% prefect in this world and I think the local installers and the dealer also cannot serve their customer on 7x24x365 basis.

Cheers

Of course is no big deal if u knows yr stuffs inside out. Even if the local can't serve 24/7 but at least they are local and contactable. I m sure u don't mind flying down as & when we needs yr service but the question can you?? Btw you have not answer my last question do you needs 5 sets before you can fly down?? I have asked this question on other threads again u didn't reply me, is there any particular reason?

Guest ricric_lo

Bros Blackmercs, regret that I haven't answered your questions straightly but the main point now on this thread is D.I.Y.

Question time :-

1) Define yr DIY. After installation, any issue who to look for?

As I said this D.I.Y. kit not fit for someone who not compliant with the following requirement.

1. Not get use to read instruction in Englsih

2. Not able to operate screwdriver and simply tool

3. Not able to unplug cable plug from the socket

4. Not familiar with the operation of AV equipment

If you're not able to fit above conditions, full installation will be more suitable for you. If you can do above mentioned without too much troubles, you can uninstall the Comand head unit and ship it back to us to swap another one if problem there. Software configuration will be assisted via email and phone support. Simply you take a photo of the problem happen and we will advise the solution on software side.

I've been retrofit more than 30 pcs Comand APS on W204/W207/W212 at Hong Kong/China/Singapore/Malaysia/Taiwan. Only 1 unit reported problem (only the fuse broken) till now.

2)What's the charges if full installation done by you instead?

Full installation will be SG$2.5K Single / SG$3.2K for D.I.Y. Kit + SG$500 for installation service

3) The price that you quoted is it single or 6 disk player with GPS function?

As my previous post stated Comand APS w/ 6 disc changer will be at SG$3.2K for W204/W212/W207

APS = Advance Postitioning System (Navigation)

4)Also why coding needs to be done on monthly basis?

Coding part will be done by me and I will visit SG on monthly basis.

How many set I will come to SG for the installation will not be important soon. I'm discussing with a car audio shop for the installation matters while remote coding via Internet is under testing and basically it works but just doing some software configuration to ensure it's 100% error fee before rolling out to the user.

If a local store to help you for the installation and arrange the remote coding together at their store, probably it's better than waiting for my visit. However, something has to be resolved before further proceed ahead.

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi Ricky,

Thk U for bringing this retrofit service to the forum.

Hope our members can benefit from it.

A few Qs!

Command APS is basically Command NTG4 rite?

1. Do members deal directly with U or thru your appointed "agent" in Singapore?

2. If they dun deal directly with U & they encounter problem, do they contact U directly or agent or installer if they decide to go to your appointed installer?

3. When U mentioned the Command units are "refurbished". May we know who did the "refurbishing" & what the refurbishing work entails?

Is the refurbishing done by factory for units returned to the factory for exchange due to warranty or repairs? How can we be assured these units origin are known & not stolen units from elsewhere in the world?

4. I guess it comes with LVC?

5. Is VIM inclusive?

6. Your free reverse camera for early birds is oem with parking distance line display or just after mkt reverse cam?

Here's a summary of charges for the benefit of members.

DIY Kit for

a. Single DVD - S$2.5k

b. 6 DVD Changer - $3.2k

add S$500 for your install charges if not DIY

add US$150 for Instrument Cluster Coding for Navi Display

Any VIM or misc. charges!

TIA! Have a good day Rick!

Guest ricric_lo

Thank you for your greeting! Hopefully every W204/W207/W212 owner can enjoy the features of Comand APS at a reasonable price very soon.

Command APS is basically Command NTG4 rite?

Comand APS fit for W204 is NTG4 and fit for W212/W207 are NTG4.5 and both are running on WinCE OS (a lot of aftermakret GPS headunit also running on WinCE OS or simply running on a Linux kernel as it's free) with a harddisk 40G which reserved 34G for map and grace note database storage and 6G for MP3 music storage. They're OEM produced by Mitsubishi (probably because MB owns 30% Fuso).

1. Do members deal directly with U or thru your appointed "agent" in Singapore?

As it's the D.I.Y. kit, members will place the order to me directly. I'm negotiating with a local audio store to take up the installation whenever user need and also they may assist to preform the coding for the IC (I'm doing the testing, the local audio store just need to plug the connector to your ODBII slot and everything indeed are being done by me via remote network).

However, assuming everything is on D.I.Y. basis until the deal has been done and I willing arrange coding later on when I visit SG. Your ride can have all kind of functions provided by the Comand except IC "Navi" function.

2. If they dun deal directly with U & they encounter problem, do they contact U directly or agent or installer if they decide to go to your appointed installer?

Whenever user encouter problem, they have to come to me for the solution. Indeed, those problems are quite similar and I've extensive knowledge on how to resolve them via the engineering mode. If it's the hardware problem as I explain the D.I.Y. user supposedly know how to uninstall the Comand head unit and ship them back.

3. When U mentioned the Command units are "refurbished". May we know who did the "refurbishing" & what the refurbishing work entails? Is the refurbishing done by factory for units returned to the factory for exchange due to warranty or repairs? How can we be assured these units origin are known & not stolen units from elsewhere in the world?

The refurbished Comand we will carry out the following procedure.

A. Diagnosis the Comand to ensure all functions work prefectly before ship it out

B. Chang the internal fans whenever it needs

C. Carry out repairing and changing parts whenever required.

D. Clean the Comand inside out.

E. Change the front panel if comestic condition not up to the standard

F. Upgrading the Telematics software whenever it needs

G. Carry out pre-coding to ensure the Comand shipped will fit your ride configuration

H. Seal the Comand with our warranty label

The refurbishing being done by our team in China and the unit warranty also being provided by us not the factory. I know the way how the people get the unit out, claimed them to be a "Obsolete" Unit and sell then to the second hand market but I have to keep it as a commerical secret on what's of warranty the dealer has bought from MB.

Thus, no installer inclusive of oversea and local at SG can 100% assure the origin of those Comand. If they claimed that they can buy them from the previous car owner, probably they're telling lies. Who will sell you his Comand of his ride? What they're going to use to replace the Comand? An iPad :) . I don't want to comment how can other installer gets the Comand but we have stable source from Europe and China.

4. I guess it comes with LVC?

The original LVC can be used for W207/W212, using the original LVC for W204 need to install with a simple technique but it's everyone can do.

We have original LVC for Comand but change it just create trouble for user to get the installation done by themself. Only different it's the right angel of the connector, nothing more than that.

5. Is VIM inclusive?

VIM not inclusive but we can help you to order and supposedly install VIM at your own risk as seems it's not legal in SG and HK.

6. Your free reverse camera for early birds is oem with parking distance line display or just after mkt reverse cam?

The one supposedly there is no distance line display as the parking distance line is quite misleading indeed. It's a after market reverse cam but it's 100% fit the pre-cut hole on the lib of your trunk and an extension cable comes with the connector fit for the Comand and a RCA female connector at their other ends.

Confirm here is the price I have fixed for members here.

DIY Kit for

a. Single DVD - S$2.5k

b. 6 DVD Changer - $3.2k

Guest blackmercs

Once again thanks for yr humble reply. If the DIY are simple & straight forward it would be nice of you reduce the installation price of SIN $500 to half of the amount instead.

Glad that you have plan & put in effort to meet all our concern. Hope to meet you in person in sg ya!! You hv a nice weekend.

Guest ricric_lo

Bros, you're always welcome!

Thus, the installation fee just SG$350 not SG$500 as SG$150 out of SG$500 catered for the coding charges.

If someone choose not to code the IC, simply just pay SG$350.

I will further updating the FAQ if I have found any possible scenarios will be there.

Cheers

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi Rick,

Thank U for your enlightenment!

VIM aka Video In Motion is not explicitly mentioned in our local Traffic Regulation i.e ban or illegal.

I m quite sure almost all members want VIM.

Will U assist to instal VIM DIY or assisted by U or your appointed workshop.

What will be the respective charges for VIM "gadget" & instal charges if apply?

Guest ricric_lo

VIM is not a complicated thing, it's also plug-and-play, roughly estimated it costs about SG$350. If really everyone interested in it, I think the price may lower to SG$300.

Guest kepiting1sg

ricric_lo wrote:

VIM is not a complicated thing, it's also plug-and-play, roughly estimated it costs about SG$350. If really everyone interested in it, I think the price may lower to SG$300.

So I guess VIM is S$300 to S$350 if DIY!

If not DIY I guess installation is free if installed by U or your appointed workshop?

My apologies for asking many Qs!

This is to assist our forumers to have adequate information for them to make their decisions.

Last by not least, is the original MB Linguatronic Voice Control features included and working

or is it disabled or modified by U?

DIY Kit for Refurbished Command Unit

a. Single DVD - S$2.5k

b. 6 DVD Changer - $3.2k

Add S$300 to S$350 for VIM

Add VIM installation or misc. charges if apply!

Guest ricric_lo

Bros, as long as VIM is legal in SG we can help to get it here and do the installation, Linguatronic will be activated as long as your ride has pre-installed microphone (most of the dealer's car equipment with such thing).

Don't worry, I'm pleased to answer any question regarding the D.I.Y. Comand Retrofitting.

• 1 month later...
Guest Great_Cookie

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but was there anyone who actually took up the retrofit service?

Also was wondering whether Ric or anyone was providing a map upgrade service for a W204. Mine are still based on 2007 maps

Guest blackmercs

Great_Cookie wrote:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but was there anyone who actually took up the retrofit service?

Also was wondering whether Ric or anyone was providing a map upgrade service for a W204. Mine are still based on 2007 maps

Go to site sponsor thread look for Camber53.

• Like 1

Guest ricric_lo

Hi, I'm at Sinagpore till Monday! Send PM to you, please check it out! Map update Jan 2011 for W204/207/212 & 2010 NTG2.5 169/W245/R171/W211 update ready as well. Who wants to get the update please send me PM.

Great_Cookie wrote:

• 3 weeks later...