• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W202 C-Class

g8crasher

Ok got a serious fetish on this car now.

I've read on a couple of other boards to avoid MY93-96 as the wiring harnesses on these cars uses recycled materials and tend to suffer from disintegration.

Please provide any knowledge you have on the following :

1. W202s sold here were all mfr'd in South London, SA ?

2. Any major maintenance problems ?

3. Were the C230Ks sold here ?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MY93-96 are non K. these yrs are the same as W124s' 16v wiring harnesses issues, that's why if looking for W124 or W202 must look for end 95 to 96. W124 - Masterpiece.

had seen a C230 on sale @ sgcarmart lei.., if remember its a white color.

i also looking @ W202, with mind @ Riger Bodykits!! 8)

have been looking ard lately.. hehe but think will only go for C180 lor..

also been checking ebay for interesting stuffs for W202. the latest projector headlights are great, grilles....

• 6 months later...
Guest damagecar

Apologise to make this topic alive again :) Any bros / sis still driving this model?

I'm rather interested in the abv, so need to know the fuel comsumption, and/or other known problems of maintaining this baby for the rest of 10yrs.

Thanks & Cheers, Ray

Tks for volunteering information khnglh.

On behalf of fellow member calper who is interested in purchasing a '95 example, any specifics to look out for other than the general areas ?

Guest khnglh

hmm..

its actually a very easy to maintain car.. nothing to hard to fix.. its very much like a w124.. some of the things to look out are:

the power steering unit is known to leak

make sure the automatic gear box shifts smoothly and if possible check for gearbox oil leak.. (quite an expensive fix)

make sure the car accelerates smoothly and quite fast... reason being .. i told of a couple cars out in the market for sale with a faulty ECU. (expensive to fix)

interior wood panels... try to find a car with panels in good condition as replacements are hard to find and expensive.

milage wise.. i get approx 10-11 KM per liter..

Guest calp

Dear Leon and khnglh (not your real name I guess :) )

thank you for all the feedbacks and comments on C180...

They will be of great help at the inspection stage once we go down to the dealer :)

Regarding the problems that are 'expensive to fix': Are they 'easy to spot' by a good mechanic or the computerized testing?

Faulty ECU? scary, man... :death:

What is the horse power for stock '95 W202 C180, btw?

Guest damagecar

hmm..

its actually a very easy to maintain car.. nothing to hard to fix.. its very much like a w124.. some of the things to look out are:

make sure the automatic gear box shifts smoothly and if possible check for gearbox oil leak.. (quite an expensive fix)

make sure the car accelerates smoothly and quite fast... reason being .. i told of a couple cars out in the market for sale with a faulty ECU. (expensive to fix)

interior wood panels... try to find a car with panels in good condition as replacements are hard to find and expensive.

I was wondering how come the ECU can be faulty? Heat related? Anyway to buy a 2nd hand ECU?

How expensive to fix the power steering leak or a gearbox leak?

I remember my w124 gear box was fix at @2400(lasted 6yrs) and $1600(b4 I sold it away) :)

Thx

Guest khnglh

from what i understand, the leak from the gearbox is not really very fixable without opening the gearbox.. might as well do a overhaul of the gear box. it should approx set u backapprox 1.5k to 2.5k.. depending on the workshop.. this includes changing of all the wear and tear bits in the gearbox.. it should last you the next couple of years 5-8 years...

power steering not not that ex.. the powersteering service kit is very affordable but the time and effort to do it is the costly bit.

not sure why the ECU breaks down, it might be heat or just wear and tear.. replacements of these will be approx 2-3k for a used part..

hmm..

I've been having w202 for about 3 months , but mileage is only about 8.5km +/- per ltr, yeah confirm the power steering is leaking, similar to my previous w124.

BTW, I bought it without the manual. Is it possible to lend me your manual for a few days?

there is a PDF version of a c280 manual avail for dl at benzworld.org forums. Post the link later today or you can google it. I can't copy the link w my PDA

Guest damagecar

from what i understand, the leak from the gearbox is not really very fixable without opening the gearbox.. might as well do a overhaul of the gear box. it should approx set u backapprox 1.5k to 2.5k.. depending on the workshop.. this includes changing of all the wear and tear bits in the gearbox.. it should last you the next couple of years 5-8 years...

power steering not not that ex.. the powersteering service kit is very affordable but the time and effort to do it is the costly bit.

not sure why the ECU breaks down, it might be heat or just wear and tear.. replacements of these will be approx 2-3k for a used part..

thanks for the details

• 2 weeks later...

there is a PDF version of a c280 manual avail for dl at benzworld.org forums. Post the link later today or you can google it. I can't copy the link w my PDA

Thanks g8crasher, I will google for it. ....