• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

ICE Installer to recommend?

Guest angela

Guest angela

Any good ICE installer to recommend? I don't need the award winning type that charge a bomb.... but the ones who can do good workmanship, and are willing to listen and take time to do the work. Reasonable charges of course.

Also, I don't want to wait in line with long queue of people waiting.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mekenics

Any good ICE installer to recommend? I don't need the award winning type that charge a bomb.... but the ones who can do good workmanship, and are willing to listen and take time to do the work. Reasonable charges of course.

The charges more often are in accordance to ur level of customisation required. Have a look at the local "SPL" mag & u might locate a few of the premier / reknown installers in town. I suggest them as they might have more experience workin on MB's. Waiting time can be kept to min. if u can arrange a suitable timing to leave ur car with them. Nothing much to differ btwn them jus physical location maybe?

I always leave my ice jobs to be done during my o'seas trips. Hope this helps, cheers.

Guest kepiting1sg

Ph@tboy ]

Any good ICE installer to recommend? I don' wrote:

The charges more often are in accordance to ur level of customisation required. Have a look at the local "SPL" mag & u might locate a few of the premier / reknown installers in town. I suggest them as they might have more experience workin on MB's. Waiting time can be kept to min. if u can arrange a suitable timing to leave ur car with them. Nothing much to differ btwn them jus physical location maybe?

I always leave my ice jobs to be done during my o'seas trips. Hope this helps, cheers.

Hi Ph@tboy,

I tend to agree with you especially on the customisation part.

Hardware are "pretty standard".

Just like you buy an amp from an installer can be compared to buying say a packet of Malboro cigarettes.

If the Malboro in the market cost S$11.50 and if someone charged you say S$15.00, then it's overcharging.

When it comes to payment for services & skills, then it's difficult to measure what is call over-charging.

IMHO and a Rupiah 1 worth! ;D

It's something like renovating a house.

Spell out what you want & your expectations with the installer and comes to an agreement on the charges.

There's a saying about a 33 1/3% rule in setting up a decent ICE system.

1. 1/3 goes to the choosing the hardwares, i.e amps, speakers, processors, cables, etc.,

2. The next 1/3 goes to the ride environment i.e accoustics, sound proofing, speaker placements, sub-box size & type, etc.

3. The last 1/3 you need a good tuner to tune the system.

There is noise, when you cannot listen to the system for >5 mins. (2 weeks ago, I sat in a car and if I dun get out of it, I would have certainly viomitted inside that car)

There is sound, you can listen to the system but not for long before fatigue to your ears set in and you will want to lower down the volume or switch it off.

Then there's music, where you can listen to the system for hours and getting "entertain"

Last but not least, it doesn't have to cost an arm or leg to have "a decent sound system"

Disclaimer: I am not an installer but just another ICE enthusiast.

Guest angela

Kiamkau,

I tell u ah... these forum members really duno how to answer ur question. U asked for recommendation. They tell u this tell u that.... Haiz... My word of advice is heed their advice. Its useful. ;) hehe...

OK, to answer ur question you can try Hong Guan. 4696775. They have good workmanship. Nice stuffs also. Prices is reasonable. They have done for F430, E60 M5 & 550, C55 also. So can say they are familiar in our systems. http://hgautosound.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Check out their projects. U can try and asked for quotation. No harm anyway. Got to do some shopping before committing also.

Cheers...

Guest kepiting1sg

marky ]

saltydog ]

Any good ICE installer to recommend? I don' wrote:

Kiamkau,

I tell u ah... these forum members really duno how to answer ur question. U asked for recommendation. They tell u this tell u that.... Haiz... My word of advice is heed their advice. Its useful. wrote:

http://hgautosound.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3[/url]

Check out their projects. U can try and asked for quotation. No harm anyway. Got to do some shopping before committing also.

Cheers...

Not that dun wanna to gip recommendations cos sometimes you have to "pay" for what "you want"

and you may have to find some common ground with the installer about the price. ;)

Furthermore for serious ICE, relationship with the installer is another point to consider.

Thomas's Hong Guan is a good recommendation!

Though I have not used them before, I have heard many good feedbacks from fellow ICE kakies about their work and "reasonable prices"

So SaltyDog, you might want to drop by there for a quote.

I remembered the prata shop nearby is good! :P

Guest mekenics

could kpt be refering to the previous location near jurong kenchil?

well i go to Chu@n sing in serangoon gdn way. could ask for a quote on what u wanna install.

Guest kepiting1sg

HUH! Hearby got prata shop meh?? where is it??

Ph@tBoy is right!

I was referring to their shop @ Jurong Kechil.

Didn't know that they have moved.

That's the problem of getting old and out of touch!

Another Lau Wu Tu! ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

Oh Yes!

Whichever installer you go to,

you must be comfortable with the installer that he's familar with

your new Merc. electrical & electronics and dismantling it for installation works.

Guest angela

New Generation Auto Sound Enterprise

53 Ubi Ave 1

#01-44

Paya Ubi Industrial Park

Singapore 408934

Tel: 6348 6220

Look for "Cartoon"

He did my installation.... changed my head unit.. No cutting of wires. He has this interface for mercs to attach a 3rd party head unit to the existing wiring...

Guest angela

Where is the 3rd party headunit installed? Do you remove the exisitng panel and custom make a panel for it? Does your car come with the front loading 1 + 6 CD disc changer

Guest angela

Where is the 3rd party headunit installed? Do you remove the exisitng panel and custom make a panel for it? Does your car come with the front loading 1 + 6 CD disc changer

Well mine came with the audio 20 with the CD changer in the glove compartment.

He took out the audio 20, constructed a face plate to fit in the slot. I got the pioneer AVH6800 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069872_307671418,00.html

he then got a wiring harness from don't know where, attached the pioneer wiring and the car's audio wiring together. No cutting of wires. He had to take time because of the faceplate... But since I have found this company http://www.metraonline.com/ that makes face plates to fit double din audio sets. Unfortunately the bloody company doesn't really answer to emails... Oh well...

Guest jenvid

LincolnSLK ]

He took out the audio 20, constructed a face plate to fit in the slot. I got the pioneer AVH6800 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069872_307671418,00.html

he then got a wiring harness from don' wrote:

http://www.metraonline.com/[/url] that makes face plates to fit double din audio sets. Unfortunately the bloody company doesn't really answer to emails... Oh well...

Errmm got pic ? U retain the wheel controls ? your AVH6800 make me drool...practically everything also have...

Guest angela

Agree with Jenvid, the AVH6800 looks really great. Can you elaborate more on your equipment? What amps you use etc? Do you do 5.1? Do you mind to share how much did it cost? So did you remove the factory 6 disc changer from the glove compartment?

BTW, is it true that LTA would not allow the installation of LCD screen in front where the driver can see the screen?

In my case, the 6 disc is right in front at the console. It comes with motorized faceplate that moves up when you want to load the CD. It makes me heartache if I have to tear all these apart. Surprisingly the factory 6 disc changer can play mp3....and can display on your driving speedometer. Only thing is that it doesn't support CD text. so can only show track1, track2, etc.

Guest angela

jenvid ]

LincolnSLK ]

he then got a wiring harness from don' wrote:

http://www.metraonline.com/[/url] that makes face plates to fit double din audio sets. Unfortunately the bloody company doesn' wrote:

Errmm got pic ? U retain the wheel controls ? your AVH6800 make me drool...practically everything also have...

Well I did retained the wheel controls but, and this is a very big but..... it's a work around. The AVH6800 has a remote control receiver infront, so what he did was to capture the "track up" Track down" "volume up" "volume down" on the steering wheel, programmed another device to emit the remote control signals via a LED.... so... there is a small led facing the AVH6800 near my hand break. So when I press the "volume up" the steering device then sends the volume signal up via the led hence... it's a wireless solution. It's not a wired solution. I, of course want a wired solution because when I drop the roof the led isn't strong enough to reach the AVH6800.

Make sense ??

I guess I could drop by the meet up and you'll get the idea...

Other than that... it works pretty well.

Guest angela

Agree with Jenvid, the AVH6800 looks really great. Can you elaborate more on your equipment? What amps you use etc? Do you do 5.1? Do you mind to share how much did it cost? So did you remove the factory 6 disc changer from the glove compartment?

BTW, is it true that LTA would not allow the installation of LCD screen in front where the driver can see the screen?

In my case, the 6 disc is right in front at the console. It comes with motorized faceplate that moves up when you want to load the CD. It makes me heartache if I have to tear all these apart. Surprisingly the factory 6 disc changer can play mp3....and can display on your driving speedometer. Only thing is that it doesn't support CD text. so can only show track1, track2, etc.

I took out the 6 CD changer because the AVH6800 is a 6 disc changer... DVD, CD and so on... I have the Ipod hooked up and that sits in the glove compartment. AVH6800 is a touch screen so everything is neat.

I decided not to put any amps because there is hardly any space in the car... I have a couple of rockford fosgate on stand by if I ever need it. As for cost... can't remember man. Not much.. just paid for the head unit, odds and ends. that's about it. Some friends had play stations installed.

Guest jenvid

I decided not to put any amps because there is hardly any space in the car... I have a couple of rockford fosgate on stand by if I ever need it. As for cost... can't remember man. Not much.. just paid for the head unit, odds and ends. that's about it. Some friends had play stations installed.

I feel that the legwell is the best place to site the amps... it is very deep... an amp there wont loose you much space...loved the SLK.. too bad I had to let it go....

Guest jenvid

I took out the 6 CD changer because the AVH6800 is a 6 disc changer... DVD, CD and so on... I have the Ipod hooked up and that sits in the glove compartment. AVH6800 is a touch screen so everything is neat.

I gathered from my installer that the UI response time is pretty lagging in the AVH6850, is it true ? I cant believe that it is that bad. Saw the Alpine's equivalent, response quite instanteous however no Bluetooth for phone...

BTW is the satnav of any use ? Can u load in the garmin based maps ?

Thks.

Guest angela

keltanky ]

I guess I could drop by the meet up and you' wrote:

why not get your SLK group fellows to come down for meetup also??

Well most of them are quite busy, but i guess we should at least try to make it for some of the meet up.

Guest angela

I gathered from my installer that the UI response time is pretty lagging in the AVH6850, is it true ? I cant believe that it is that bad. Saw the Alpine's equivalent, response quite instanteous however no Bluetooth for phone...

BTW is the satnav of any use ? Can u load in the garmin based maps ?

Thks.

Response is pretty ok for me. No lag. The only thing I don't have is the satnav.