• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

COE SLK200 - Opinion?

Guest angela

Need some honest advice and input on this:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/info-2XYyffA-1000.html

I was asked by Cklasse to come to this forum from MCF.

I've been thinking of getting my CO a continental convertible. I'm considering either a Renault Megane CC or an Opel Astra Twintop. But because I'm quite sure she'll get past this phase in a few years' time, I'm therefore quite reluctant to get a brand-new one. Can't bear the depreciation.

So I chanced upon this specimen from sgcarmart. What do all you veterans think? All opinions and input are welcome! :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember enquiring about this model some 3 mths ago. I think the seller also had a white one avail. for sale back then. Didn't dare to touch the cars as both have had multiple owners.

There were some 3 other SLKs that went really quick. Mostly 1997 model cars with 1 owner and extremely low mileage as they were 2nd/3rd cars.

Do note that the SLK roof is expensive to repair if it does break down!

dial911 ]

I remember enquiring about this model some 3 mths ago. I think the seller also had a white one avail. for sale back then. Didn' wrote:

Do note that the SLK roof is expensive to repair if it does break down![/b]

Does it happen frequently?

If there has been no previous abuse then it should be fine. Not everybody follows procedure for rooftop deployment. I bore witness to a seized roof that cost $5k in repair to the roof mechanism some 6 years ago. Because of our climate, the electrics tend to get a little screwy after awhile so I would take that into consideration as well.

I don't think it happens all that often but I guess it's all about being prepared to foot the bill should it happen.

Would you consider a Z3 ? I'm still pretty clueless about the Z3 other than the fact it is built on an E36 chassis! ;D

If there has been no previous abuse then it should be fine. Not everybody follows procedure for rooftop deployment. I bore witness to a seized roof that cost $5k in repair to the roof mechanism some 6 years ago. Because of our climate, the electrics tend to get a little screwy after awhile so I would take that into consideration as well.

I don't think it happens all that often but I guess it's all about being prepared to foot the bill should it happen.

Would you consider a Z3 ? I'm still pretty clueless about the Z3 other than the fact it is built on an E36 chassis! ;D

James Bond's car?

I didn't really had a good impression of the Z3 when it first came out. I remember taking it out for a spin in Adelaide, along the Great Ocean Road. It was brilliant for getting the girls to look at you, but other than that, the performance and handling was nothing to shout about.

Guess that's why BMW retired the Z3 and developed the Z4 instead. Heard that it's leaps and bounds better than the Z3. And also, it's a soft-top. I had a couple of bad experiences with soft-tops, first with a Porsche, then a Suzuki Vitara. Both leaked when it rained heavily. So I have sworn off soft-tops. :(

Comments? hee. I renewed my COE liao for my 1997 SLK200. Honestly, the car has the usual car problems for any old car but other than that, you'll definitely a leather wrap for the interior coz the rubbery paint will definitely peel. some people had hood problems, most don't. if you do, it is generally the sensor; no problem. checkout the r170 forum at benzworld.org. you'll get lots of info and a large bunch of r170 drivers. if you do get one. well.. wttc!!! ;D

Comments? hee. I renewed my COE liao for my 1997 SLK200. Honestly, the car has the usual car problems for any old car but other than that, you'll definitely a leather wrap for the interior coz the rubbery paint will definitely peel. some people had hood problems, most don't. if you do, it is generally the sensor; no problem. checkout the r170 forum at benzworld.org. you'll get lots of info and a large bunch of r170 drivers. if you do get one. well.. wttc!!! ;D

Thanks! Do you get much chances to go "topless"?

opportunities are for you to create.. ;D you can drive topless from the evenings.. after 6pm afte work.. or before 9am in the mornings while you're on your way to work.. or during a cloudy day.. or if you plan for a long drive.. i've driven during the afternoons.. if you dun mind the heat.. u r fine.. me uncle liao.. don't go out and party that often anymore.. so i do go topless about 10% of the time.

opportunities are for you to create.. ;D you can drive topless from the evenings.. after 6pm afte work.. or before 9am in the mornings while you're on your way to work.. or during a cloudy day.. or if you plan for a long drive.. i've driven during the afternoons.. if you dun mind the heat.. u r fine.. me uncle liao.. don't go out and party that often anymore.. so i do go topless about 10% of the time.

Good stuff! Can you tell me what are some of the areas I should look out for if I were to view/test-drive a used SLK?

sgcarmart has 1. it is only a slk200 non compressor like mine. if you are looking for more mod, then u are better off with a compressor version. i think they are selling at $80k with wald body kit and 19" rims.

if you're going, tell me.. heehee.. i am also curious about the car.

sgcarmart has 1. it is only a slk200 non compressor like mine. if you are looking for more mod, then u are better off with a compressor version. i think they are selling at $80k with wald body kit and 19" rims.

if you're going, tell me.. heehee.. i am also curious about the car.

Yah I know there's one there. I just want to know what I should look out for if I were to test drive the car. ;)

I guess the usual. most importantly is the engine condition, mileage, drive the car.. also the auto gear... lastly, if you have the history of the car, that's the best. and of coz send it to a reliable mechanic for a through checkup.

With all due respect to Peugeot owners - the 206CC's roof mechanism is a little too unreliable for my liking. I rented the Pug whilst I was on holiday in Perth back in the summer of 2004 and had the roof mechanism jam twice during the week long rental. It was a brand new car with less than 3,000 kms on the clock. The top would fold itself nicely initially then jam about halfway through the process. We had to re-close the roof, wait abit and try it again b4 it would work properly. Other than that it's a pleasant car to zip around town with and it does have a very light accelerator pedal! The luggage racks mounted on the boot were a major pain in reducing visibility through the rear windshield.

8g4lik0.jpg