• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

GPS

Guest Cklasse

Guest Cklasse

Err....is GPS consider ICE ?

I am thinking to replace my current PDA GPS with a stand alone Garmin GPS.

This has bluetooth capability that will link your handphone (not all models) to serve as a handsfree kit. You will be able to talk and hear through the GPS unit and read sms on its screen, you can even choose to let the GPS read out the sms while you drive.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mekenics

ICE = In Car Entertainment.

If you think GPS can entertain you. By all means its an ICE. haha...

indirectly, it can cos u key in joo-chiat, duxton, paramount, lido...etc. it can bring u to the entertainment of ur desires! :o;):P :-*

wah sounds good man. for adventurers like you good value for money lah.. for me basket... GPS in Singapore not worth it lah. ;D

I'm ordering the GPS add on for my PSP see whether got any good or not. Mmm.. cheaper alternative at US$50. Kekeke. $1k need for new tyres very soon leow.

So....anyone wants to take this poison with me?

Damage is about S$1000 ;D

Wah your poison very expensive but sounds very cool. I m still trying to get my Nokia GPS system going...always gives me the "GPS signal currently not available" even when I am out in the open!

Sad

Guest angela

indirectly, it can cos u key in joo-chiat, duxton, paramount, lido...etc. it can bring u to the entertainment of ur desires! :o;):P :-*

I rather spend 1k on these destination! hahaa.....

Guest kepiting1sg

marky ]

indirectly, it can cos u key in joo-chiat, duxton, paramount, lido...etc. it can bring u to the entertainment of ur desires! :o wrote:

I rather spend 1k on these destination! hahaa.....

If you dun have too high expectations, your 1k will stretch much longer in Pleasure & Fantasy Island.....

and I will be too glad to be your part time turtle.......wakakakakka! :o :o :o

Your Luply Friendly Neighborhood Lau Hum Ku Hamsup Unker!!!!

Guest jenvid

This has bluetooth capability that will link your handphone (not all models) to serve as a handsfree kit. You will be able to talk and hear through the GPS unit and read sms on its screen, you can even choose to let the GPS read out the sms while you drive.

Used both PDA Phone [MobileXT] GPS & Standalone Nuvi, thinking the latter is better because of the hook up accessories.

The MobileXT is good for checking weather & route drive extrapolation in the event of loss of signal like in CTE tunnel & future Paya Lebar tunnel.

In fact I got both in my car right now. Frequent M'sia traveller, cant live without it.

You sure can read SMS on its screen ?

Guest Cklasse

Used both PDA Phone [MobileXT] GPS & Standalone Nuvi, thinking the latter is better because of the hook up accessories.

The MobileXT is good for checking weather & route drive extrapolation in the event of loss of signal like in CTE tunnel & future Paya Lebar tunnel.

In fact I got both in my car right now. Frequent M'sia traveller, cant live without it.

You sure can read SMS on its screen ?

Yep....which Nuvi are you using now? I was looking at the Nuvi 670 with US and Europe map at S$1200. However, I just went to Sim Lim Square and saw the smaller Nuvi 310 with Singapore/Malaysia map at S$890. Actually, the Nuvi 310 is good enough, so I will probably get that. Btw, if you are coming to the bbq, do bring it along to poison everyone.

Guest jenvid

Cklasse ]

In fact I got both in my car right now. Frequent M' wrote:

Yep....which Nuvi are you using now? I was looking at the Nuvi 670 with US and Europe map at S$1200. However, I just went to Sim Lim Square and saw the smaller Nuvi 310 with Singapore/Malaysia map at S$890. Actually, the Nuvi 310 is good enough, so I will probably get that. Btw, if you are coming to the bbq, do bring it along to poison everyone.

I have both the 350 & 360. 360 is good for overseas travel including M'sia cuz POI's tel num can link to HP & call. Else 350 will do most of the trick.

The downside of Nuvi is that battery life is short (2hrs) while on the go & non replaceable

The 670/660 is pointless. It is too big to fit into your pockets & lateral viewing estate is useless. U want more look ahead cuz we driving forward... hiaks.

That's why I still have my PDA GPS. Can toggle to 640x480 & see more.

Guest Cklasse

Ok, poison taken today....had checked a few places in Sim Lim Square, Sim Lim Tower, Textile Center and countless forum and discussion...I ordered online today for a Nuvi 370. Damage : S$960. Now waiting eagerly for my new toy to show up at the door step. ;D

Guest jenvid

Ok, poison taken today....had checked a few places in Sim Lim Square, Sim Lim Tower, Textile Center and countless forum and discussion...I ordered online today for a Nuvi 370. Damage : S$960. Now waiting eagerly for my new toy to show up at the door step. ;D

Now I feed you more poison. U can start d/l the Malsing maps, all the speed camera POIs (SG/Msia), Spd trap POIs(SG/Msia), Red Light Camera POIs. Custom sound files for each these type Custom POIs hehe...

Comes preloaded with both US & Europe maps ? If u have good solar film installed, u will need the external GPS antenna & stick it on the black area on the windscreen at the rearview mirror.

More poison, u actually need a PDA phone too with Garmin Que for tour...*grin*

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Cklasse

Finally! my Garmin is delivered by FEDEX.

Got the MalSing map installed with red light camera, speed cam and ERP gantry.

Will try out tomorrow when go for tim sum....I searched for Paramount hotel and I get 3 results as far away as Penang.

Guest Winningeleven

Hi Cklasse ,

I'm actually quite tempted to upgrade my PDA+GPS to a standalone like the nuvi series, but find it more or less the same thing, so pls write a review of your newtoy as i know you are previously using the same setup as me.

Still thinking if its better to upgrade my In-Car DVD or GPS?

So maybe ur review can help me made up my mind.

Thanks

Guest angela

Will try out tomorrow when go for tim sum....I searched for Paramount hotel and I get 3 results as far away as Penang.

Cool stuff man... looks really good. The route guidance for the garmins is better than the Tibo. You have tempted me....:-(

Guest jenvid

Cool stuff man... looks really good. The route guidance for the garmins is better than the Tibo. You have tempted me....:-(

CKlasse: U load in the custom sound files also ? Instead of beeps, it can say camera ahead etc etc... hehe....

Lincoln: Spoke to Cartoon abt ur setup, he admitted his guys did a booboo install the wireless receiver, u might want to go back n get it redone ? Anyway, I keep hearing that it is possible to pipe the satnav video/audio into the 6850... hehe more poison. U can also fit in the vehicle dynamics controller for Pioneer, the gyro is actually quite impt pc of eqpt for car satnav but may not necessary be the case in SG. M'sia definitely yes esp KL.

Both Chuan Sing & Cartoon says 3rd party satnav also no prob. But yet to see.... oh well more research...

poison, poison,poison.

The best part of a satnav is actually finding the nearest POI while driving like post office, ATM, Petrol kiosks, banks, supermkt, makan places etc,etc. Routing IMHO is only on need to basis.

I find in car solution the best else everytime fix/unfix Nuvi with external antenna for short drive very inconvenient..

Guest angela

CKlasse: U load in the custom sound files also ? Instead of beeps, it can say camera ahead etc etc... hehe....

Lincoln: Spoke to Cartoon abt ur setup, he admitted his guys did a booboo install the wireless receiver, u might want to go back n get it redone ? Anyway, I keep hearing that it is possible to pipe the satnav video/audio into the 6850... hehe more poison. U can also fit in the vehicle dynamics controller for Pioneer, the gyro is actually quite impt pc of eqpt for car satnav but may not necessary be the case in SG. M'sia definitely yes esp KL.

Both Chuan Sing & Cartoon says 3rd party satnav also no prob. But yet to see.... oh well more research...

poison, poison,poison.

The best part of a satnav is actually finding the nearest POI while driving like post office, ATM, Petrol kiosks, banks, supermkt, makan places etc,etc. Routing IMHO is only on need to basis.

I find in car solution the best else everytime fix/unfix Nuvi with external antenna for short drive very inconvenient..

Yup... I know of the wireless, I told him about it 2 weeks ago when we met at marina Sq. But.. Aiyaaa too busy to go and see him this month. I am off to KL and Chengdu so I'll be out for a while. The problem with the wireless is when I drop my roof the steering controls all die. And the digital tv reception is horrible + terrible... cartoon warned me about it but I backside itchy and still wanted it installed.

Guest jenvid

And the digital tv reception is horrible + terrible... cartoon warned me about it but I backside itchy and still wanted it installed.

Talk abt DVB, cant be that bad right. I mean the bus's one looks ok. Your DVB antenna installed behind solar film ? The films are the greatest culprit for reception.

My current Blaupunkt Bremen MP74 with its dual radio antenna also give me no good FM. Using Vkool. :(

Looks like i need to try it out on my laptop in my car... hehe... backside also itchy... :D.

• 1 month later...
Guest angela

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin. Is it good? Any feedback?

BTW, where do you download the singapore map, the custom sound, ERP and speed trap, etc?

Guest Cklasse

I'm thinking of getting a Garmin. Is it good? Any feedback?

BTW, where do you download the singapore map, the custom sound, ERP and speed trap, etc?

I just bought the Nuvi370 for S$1000. It has extensive support from Garmin fans, has free maps of many countries and areas with additional features like you have mentioned. I have downloaded a free map of the whole world (most countries with major roads) and the Singapore and Malaysia roads are good like road directory.

The Nuvi370 comes with full detail road of US and Europe. The good part of the Nuvi370 is the bluetooth function that doubles up as a hands free kit for hp. I can send and view sms from the Nuvi too.

If you want a fuss free, "start and go" GPS, the Garmin is a good one. The Nuvi 300 series is small enough to hand carry for navigation during holiday.

Guest angela

Hi Jenvid, Cklasse,

How much you paid for your Garmin nuvi 360, 370... any recommended place to get from??

Heard the model meant for China market can read both Chinese and English map, while the English model can't do so...???

Guest Cklasse

Hi Jenvid, Cklasse,

How much you paid for your Garmin nuvi 360, 370... any recommended place to get from??

Heard the model meant for China market can read both Chinese and English map, while the English model can't do so...???

See this link for Nuvi http://www.mycarforum.com/forum/Aftermarket_C5/I.C.E._F4/Garmin_NUVI_610_purchase/install_process_%2A%2AMANY_PICS%2A%2A_P1750661/

My Nuvi 370 cost S$960 w/o gst, include shipping.