• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Considering a pre-owned w221 (01/07) over the new e

Guest notti

Guest notti

Hi folks,

thinking of getting the above from rebublic auto. can anyone share what are the major upgrade (s) to the 2010 model (besides the led lights at the front)

I am considering this S300L than a brand new E250 cgi both price range about $185-$190k.

Don't know any brudders think it is a good choice but i feel the new e has almost the same leg room space than the c class

Guest bbwannabe

Interior wise, I feel that the new W212 is just a scaled down version of the W221 you are looking at. After all, this W221 is the model that started the new age interior trim design for the Merc family. So if you're sitting inside W221 you will be hard pressed to find a reason why you want the W212. IMHO, it looks and feel so much luxourious in the W212 anyway.

Exterior wise, I think you will agree with me that the W212 does not really looking that outstanding. Somehow, IMO, it lost the uniqueness of a Merc. Time will really tell on that one. In any case, the W221 has this soverign and stately look that the W212 does not have.

Besides, save on the massive crazy depreciation! Three years is about right to get a S class. As long as the previous owner ain't reckless with it, you can really save a bundle and the get the best return for your buck.

Guest notti

I agree with you totally, going down to test drive later this week

guess what - only 36k mileage for this S300L with my fav cream beige interior. the only hesitant is the exterior is black green interior :P

btw, w221 comsume fuel at 9.9l/100km vs w212 is abt 7.5l/100km.

technically fuel economy is not a lot of difference right?

does the s300l comes with bluetooth and ipod connectivity?

dvd player means can watch movie on the 8" LCD right?

anything else to share before i sign on the dotted line will be great :)

bbwannabe wrote:

Interior wise, I feel that the new W212 is just a scaled down version of the W221 you are looking at. After all, this W221 is the model that started the new age interior trim design for the Merc family. So if you're sitting inside W221 you will be hard pressed to find a reason why you want the W212. IMHO, it looks and feel so much luxourious in the W212 anyway.

Exterior wise, I think you will agree with me that the W212 does not really looking that outstanding. Somehow, IMO, it lost the uniqueness of a Merc. Time will really tell on that one. In any case, the W221 has this soverign and stately look that the W212 does not have.

Besides, save on the massive crazy depreciation! Three years is about right to get a S class. As long as the previous owner ain't reck22less with it, you can really save a bundle and the get the best return for your buck.

Guest notti

BB

How do you calculate the depreciation of owning a new w212 versus a 3 yr old w221, assuming i drive either one for 3 years hence your theory of save a bundle?

bbwannabe wrote:

Besides, save on the massive crazy depreciation! Three years is about right to get a S class. As long as the previous owner ain't reckless with it, you can really save a bundle and the get the best return for your buck.

Guest bbwannabe

My apologies! I thought I saw that you wanted a E350 cause I saw someone posting a WTB: E350 in another thread. So the numbers quite skewed now, sorry!

By simple comparison right, a new E Class cost $190k, a 3 year old S Class also cost $190k, clearly the S Class will cost more per year. It is just MORE worth it to buy a used S Class than a new S Class.

In any case, here is a 'case study' of car depreciation. Hope it is useful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to LTA's Average OMV

I saw that the new E250 CGI is about $54,226. Meaning the cost price of the car to you is about:

$23,889 + 2.27* $54,226 + $140 = $147,122

(COE + [PARF + OMV + Custom Tax + GST] + Registration)

That is just a good gauge of how much extra you paying them. Compare that with the selling price of $198,888. Let say you managed to trim $8,888 off the price tag.

The minimal amount you can get back at the end of 10-years is about $27,113 (50% PARF) plus maybe $3,000 for body value. Your depreciation will be ($190,000 - $30,113) / 10 = $15,988 per year

This is EXCLUDING any loan that you want to take.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A used W221 cost about $193,000 (the one you like). You can easily shave $3,000 off, $5,000 even. I also noticed the OMV is $81,924. Meaning the minimal sum you can get back is $45058 (110% of 50% PARF) or $50058 if the body value at the end is $5,000.

Let say it is 3 years old now. That means depreciation per year is ($190,000 - $50058) / 7 = $19,991

In case you're curious... a new S Class costs $291,888, after discount maybe $282,000. OMV $85,293, minimal PARF return is $42,647, add $5,000 for body value, $47,647. Meaning depreciation per year will be ($282,000-$47,647) / 10 = a whooping $23,435 per year.

In other words, let say he lost an extra ($23,435-$19,991=$3,444) per year more than you! Or in that 3 years, $10332 for no reason.

Guest notti

now I got a pi saying sclass got a lot of air suspension problem. The last they sold to lky brother also same thing. Now phobia getting the 3 yr old s class. Any brudders can share their experience

bbwannabe wrote:

My apologies! I thought I saw that you wanted a E350 cause I saw someone posting a WTB: E350 in another thread. So the numbers quite skewed now, sorry!

By simple comparison right, a new E Class cost $190k, a 3 year old S Class also cost $190k, clearly the S Class will cost more per year. It is just MORE worth it to buy a used S Class than a new S Class.

In any case, here is a 'case study' of car depreciation. Hope it is useful!

Link to LTA's Average OMV

I saw that the new E250 CGI is about $54,226. Meaning the cost price of the car to you is about:

$23,889 + 2.27* $54,226 + $140 = $147,122

(COE + [PARF + OMV + Custom Tax + GST] + Registration)

That is just a good gauge of how much extra you paying them. Compare that with the selling price of $198,888. Let say you managed to trim $8,888 off the price tag.

The minimal amount you can get back at the end of 10-years is about $27,113 (50% PARF) plus maybe $3,000 for body value. Your depreciation will be ($190,000 - $30,113) / 10 = $15,988 per year

A used W221 cost about $193,000 (the one you like). You can easily shave $3,000 off, $5,000 even. I also noticed the OMV is $81,924. Meaning the minimal sum you can get back is $45058 (110% of 50% PARF) or $50058 if the body value at the end is $5,000.

Let say it is 3 years old now. That means depreciation per year is ($190,000 - $50058) / 7 = $19,991

In case you're curious... a new S Class costs $291,888, after discount maybe $282,000. OMV $85,293, minimal PARF return is $42,647, add $5,000 for body value, $47,647. Meaning depreciation per year will be ($282,000-$47,647) / 10 = a whooping $23,435 per year.

In other words, let say he lost an extra ($23,435-$19,991=$3,444) per year more than you! Or in that 3 years, $10332 for no reason.

Guest ACSLK

oscar1388 wrote:

Can anyone advise me on where to upgrade the s class to the new face lift ? Or it can't be done in Singapore ?

Thanks

notti wrote:

Hi folks,

thinking of getting the above from rebublic auto. can anyone share what are the major upgrade (s) to the 2010 model (besides the led lights at the front)

I am considering this S300L than a brand new E250 cgi both price range about $185-$190k.

Don't know any brudders think it is a good choice but i feel the new e has almost the same leg room space than the c class

How about 7 Series or the new F10 5 Series?

cheers

Guest notti

nah, i am a merc person, having drive bm for 6 years when i was a younger

besides, this is a merc forum, no?

chuckled :)

ACSLK wrote:

How about 7 Series or the new F10 5 Series?

cheers

Guest ivanchan

Hi Notti,

If I am u, I wld choose the W221 over the W212. Mercs r rock solid and unlikely to break down anytime at the 3rd year mark, assumin its a good condition unit. I hav a W211 June 2009 unit fully facelifted to current model. In this 10 months of owning it, i have nothing but praises, me coming fm the E65 bmw 7.

Depre wise, sugguest u buy a 3 year old S350L instead of the S300. reason being the OMV for the 350 is a lot higher, meanin the depre is usually lower. also, for export reasons sometime down the road, S350 should be easier as only Spore n certain countries uses the S300 due to rd tax reasons.

let me noe if u need more info....

Cheers

Guest notti

thanks ivan, you PI or friends of PI? :)

i will open my radar for s350l too after hearing you

probably drive for 2 -3 yrs and exit (like most brudders here), will it go to export market or resale mkt?

ivanchan wrote:

Hi Notti,

If I am u, I wld choose the W221 over the W212. Mercs r rock solid and unlikely to break down anytime at the 3rd year mark, assumin its a good condition unit. I hav a W211 June 2009 unit fully facelifted to current model. In this 10 months of owning it, i have nothing but praises, me coming fm the E65 bmw 7.

Depre wise, sugguest u buy a 3 year old S350L instead of the S300. reason being the OMV for the 350 is a lot higher, meanin the depre is usually lower. also, for export reasons sometime down the road, S350 should be easier as only Spore n certain countries uses the S300 due to rd tax reasons.

let me noe if u need more info....

Cheers

Guest bbwannabe

yeah man. buy it! so much more comfortable. if you're worried about airmatic, i think _if_ you're not so lucky, the problem will only come in at the 6th or 7th year mark. cost wise... if you get the parts from arnott or from overseas maybe about 6-8k to repair.

maybe you can set aside some sinking fund for it. hahaha... small price to pay for 3-4 years of luxourious motoring?

if you want to buy from RA, let me know. kinda know the director there. maybe can give you better price. in return you let me drive around the car maybe. haha...

*poison poison*

Guest notti

hi bb

i kinda offered this 3 yr 2 mth s300l unit for $175k and the RA's se said the best is $182k

Can you really work your magic?

I don't mind let you drive around :) thanks for the airmatic spare parts cost tip.

Any other cost that i need to be aware of like timing belt, engine mounting and gearbox overaul cost?

appreciate!

bbwannabe wrote:

yeah man. buy it! so much more comfortable. if you're worried about airmatic, i think _if_ you're not so lucky, the problem will only come in at the 6th or 7th year mark. cost wise... if you get the parts from arnott or from overseas maybe about 6-8k to repair.

maybe you can set aside some sinking fund for it. hahaha... small price to pay for 3-4 years of luxourious motoring?

if you want to buy from RA, let me know. kinda know the director there. maybe can give you better price. in return you let me drive around the car maybe. haha...

*poison poison*

Guest notti

BB,

I went to see a S350l reg Jan 2006 mileage about 89k letting go at $164k

You think it is a good deal?

Looks okay just test drive. If I get this unit and drive for 2-3 years, how much can I sell?

Export or Resale market price?

bbwannabe wrote:

replied via pm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ivanchan

notti wrote:

thanks ivan, you PI or friends of PI? :)

i will open my radar for s350l too after hearing you

probably drive for 2 -3 yrs and exit (like most brudders here), will it go to export market or resale mkt?

Hi Notti,

I m neither a PI or friend of a PI....haha. i tink u r already doin the right thing, doin yr sums n comparing. if at the 5th year mark, i may juz go to the export mkt, due to the high omv n relative snobbishness of tis segment whereby most pple rather drive new cars or "new-look' cars.....

good luck in yr search.....bt for export, i stil feel the S350L will b better buy as it has more resale overseas. S300 is meant more for Spore mkt.....

my 2 cents.

Cheers

Guest notti

Ivan

I am looking at this 4 yr old s350l for the price of $175k, but assuming i take your suggestion to export after i drive for 3 years, how much can i sell?

ivanchan wrote:

Hi Notti,

I m neither a PI or friend of a PI....haha. i tink u r already doin the right thing, doin yr sums n comparing. if at the 5th year mark, i may juz go to the export mkt, due to the high omv n relative snobbishness of tis segment whereby most pple rather drive new cars or "new-look' cars.....

good luck in yr search.....bt for export, i stil feel the S350L will b better buy as it has more resale overseas. S300 is meant more for Spore mkt.....

my 2 cents.

Cheers

Guest ivanchan

notti wrote:

Ivan

I am looking at this 4 yr old s350l for the price of $175k, but assuming i take your suggestion to export after i drive for 3 years, how much can i sell?

Tough answer bro....a lot depends on various overseas mkt that affect the body value. by then, the W221 model replacement shld be almost out.....n using the W220 as a benchmark, I tink roughly you can assume yr car will be worth stil abt 100K - 120K, with the higher end price achievable only if u can find a local buyer.

gd luck bro in yr search....its a great car.

Cheers

Guest notti

hi bb, ivan,

thanks for your advice on w221 for the past few days and i am a proud owner of s350l today.

give me a buzz and keep in touch

ivanchan wrote:

Tough answer bro....a lot depends on various overseas mkt that affect the body value. by then, the W221 model replacement shld be almost out.....n using the W220 as a benchmark, I tink roughly you can assume yr car will be worth stil abt 100K - 120K, with the higher end price achievable only if u can find a local buyer.

gd luck bro in yr search....its a great car.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest w221sclass

Nice one man, am owner of w221 s300L, great stuff, owned for about 2 years have 50,000km done, no problems at all. take it up to malaysia for a drive, always make you smile when you hit the 200km/h mark:D enjoy!

notti wrote:

hi bb, ivan,

thanks for your advice on w221 for the past few days and i am a proud owner of s350l today.

give me a buzz and keep in touch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest notti

hi,

been enjoying the ride and arriving to places like king of kings.

i have already have kakis to poison me to buy rolls rolls ghost and lambo but i am contented with this ride (for the time being)

glad to know another 221 owner in the forum. i have met up with ivan chan last week.

Let me know if you have time to catch up

w221sclass wrote:

Nice one man, am owner of w221 s300L, great stuff, owned for about 2 years have 50,000km done, no problems at all. take it up to malaysia for a drive, always make you smile when you hit the 200km/h mark:D enjoy!