• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Repair Cost for my W140 S280

Guest sunnytang7788

Guest sunnytang7788

Hi All,

I appreciate your advise on the followings:

1. What will be the repair cost for the front passenger head rest and rear seats head rest? My car only the driver head rest can be electronically controlled. I understand from my current mechanics that the vacuum pump needs to be changed and will cost me a fair bit. I am wondering if it is worth doing it.

2. Rear Aircon cannot be shutted down. My rear aircon cannot be adjusted to close the vents, my mechanics told be that probably the whole console needs to be taken out to check where goes wrong. Is it truth? Anyone can advise me.

**My car is 1994 S240 and current COE expired in 2019, thus I am thinking of making good of it so that I can drive at least another 5 years.

Thanks for your advise in advance.

Cheers

Sunny

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sunny,

Welcome to SGMERC.

If I am not mistaken, the W140 vacuum pump will depend on how many features your car is loaded with ie, suction doors, central locking, headrest adjustment etc. Better if you can check the model no. of the pump which is located below your rear passenger seat bench. ebay price range is anywhere from $150 - 300+ USD so it shouldn't be too expensive here. Also make sure the hoses connected to the pump are in place. It could be something as simple as disconnected hoses. :)

With regards to the non closure of your rear vents, it's possibly just a simple case of the cable connection coming loose.

Here's the fix for it from a benzworld thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1493453-rear-vents-wont-stop-blowing-cold.html#post3917561-

Is that adjustment to totally close the vents . I have had my car for 15 years and can never close the vents totally and people in the back seats in winter always complain.

Is the adjustment easy to do. If so help with how please

just lift the armrest cover and get access to the very bottom of it, like you want to take out something (CD or so). Then on the bottom there is a lining, just use your nails or small screwdriver to lift it. That's all, you are there. You will see the simple mechanism which has to be adjusted by bare hands, no tool needed if I recall corectly. The aim is to shorten the cable to the rear vent. You just need to unclip something, and clip it again at a different position to shorten the bowden cable.

g8crasher wrote:

Hi Sunny,

Welcome to SGMERC.

If I am not mistaken, the W140 vacuum pump will depend on how many features your car is loaded with ie, suction doors, central locking, headrest adjustment etc. Better if you can check the model no. of the pump which is located below your rear passenger seat bench. ebay price range is anywhere from $150 - 300+ USD so it shouldn't be too expensive here. Also make sure the hoses connected to the pump are in place. It could be something as simple as disconnected hoses. :)

With regards to the non closure of your rear vents, it's possibly just a simple case of the cable connection coming loose.

Here's the fix for it from a benzworld thread http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1493453-rear-vents-wont-stop-blowing-cold.html#post3917561-

Is that adjustment to totally close the vents . I have had my car for 15 years and can never close the vents totally and people in the back seats in winter always complain.

Is the adjustment easy to do. If so help with how please

just lift the armrest cover and get access to the very bottom of it, like you want to take out something (CD or so). Then on the bottom there is a lining, just use your nails or small screwdriver to lift it. That's all, you are there. You will see the simple mechanism which has to be adjusted by bare hands, no tool needed if I recall corectly. The aim is to shorten the cable to the rear vent. You just need to unclip something, and clip it again at a different position to shorten the bowden cable.

wah siaz so knowledgeable ..can open shop and charge $$$ leow.... or maybe consultant fee for people asking questions...heeehehhee.... then use the $$$ buy drinks when GTG... joking lah... Upz UPz UPPPP

jsiau wrote:

wah siaz so knowledgeable ..can open shop and charge $$$ leow.... or maybe consultant fee for people asking questions...heeehehhee.... then use the $$$ buy drinks when GTG... joking lah... Upz UPz UPPPP

Nonsense lah older cars I can try to answer but the generation from W211 onwards SIMI POON BUAY HEOW.

Maybe got chance to get W212 then can build some knowledge again hyak hyak :becky: