• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Speakers for W124

Guest mr w124

Hi guys, my sound system is terrible. the speakers vibrate whenever the volume is turned up to slightly loud. and only one back and 1 front speaker is permanently working. the other 2 just come n go. the shop i went to said that my head unit old already (it can play tapes) he even pulled it out n showed me how the wires were stuck in at all angles. there were many loose wires hanging out as well.

My question is, do i just need to change the head unit or the speakers as well? i like bassy music. any idea how much 4 new speakers and subwoofer would cost? and a new head unit too. Thanks. Hope a new sound system would improve my 124 n take away the ah pek car stigma attached to it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, looks like you need..

1. A CD tuner

2. Replacement set of 4" speakers up front if you want to keep them in the stock location

3. Replacement set of rear speakers

I think the most important thing you need to do now is to ask yourself how much you'd like to spend on the new system then the audio gurus here will be able to suggest some a random setup to suit your listening pleasure.

It can get really, really expensive depending on how far you are prepared to venture into this resource draining excercise. IMHO, spending about 2+k should be able to get you something decent. Snooping around in www.sgsoundsystem.com's for sale section could yield some decent used equipment at a substantial discount off the original price.

BEST SUGGESTION : Attend this Sunday's meetup and audition cars that belong to ICE freaks such as kepiting1sg & Phatboy to get a feel of a well setup & tuned system.

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi guys, my sound system is terrible. the speakers vibrate whenever the volume is turned up to slightly loud. and only one back and 1 front speaker is permanently working. the other 2 just come n go. the shop i went to said that my head unit old already (it can play tapes) he even pulled it out n showed me how the wires were stuck in at all angles. there were many loose wires hanging out as well.

My question is, do i just need to change the head unit or the speakers as well? i like bassy music. any idea how much 4 new speakers and subwoofer would cost? and a new head unit too. Thanks. Hope a new sound system would improve my 124 n take away the ah pek car stigma attached to it.

Dial is rite! It's depend what "kind" of system U want and your budget.

U can buy an used CD Tuner for last than $100 or a new one with state of art processor that can set U back at more than S$10K.

I am selfish on ICE therefore I do not use rear speakers for my ICE, so myb rear passengers has to listen to just my front speakers. ;D

Come to the meetup this Sunday and we can talk more about your ICE needs.

Please remember I have nothing to sell you! ;)

I used to own a 1991 W124 and I did cut it all up for the sake of ICE.

U can take a look at my ICE page at Sounddomain!

Please click on the link below

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/160357

Guest Winningeleven

Hi uncle kepiting,

which HU cost up to 10K ?

I'm thinking of getting the alpine F1, what other HU u recommend which is value for $ budget not more than 5K ?

Must be able to run active.

BTW do u know is there any new F1 coming out soon ?

Sorry to mr w124 for using your tread.

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi uncle kepiting,

which HU cost up to 10K ?

I'm thinking of getting the alpine F1, what other HU u recommend which is value for $ budget not more than 5K ?

Must be able to run active.

BTW do u know is there any new F1 coming out soon ?

Sorry to mr w124 for using your tread.

IMHO,

Knowing your earlier Qs on ICE, I think you would probably like to have DVD audio and Video at the same time and F1 will suit U fine. New F1 cumming....dunno! ;D ;D ;D

http://www.alpinef1status.com/e/index.html

Another competent competitor to the F1 will the the Pioneer ODR.

For ODR, New Generation Cartoon will be very competent installing it for being a "Pioneer guy" all along.

http://www.pioneer-odr.ch/start_en.htm

Below 5K & Pure Audio

Pioneer DEX-P90RS + DEQ-P90

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=297&CatId=2,25,86

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=298&CatId=2,25,90

All will go well with your focal speakers....wahahahha ;D ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

Nice to see you @ the meetup. ;D

For ICE buy visit this SG ICE sites

http://forums.delphiforums.com/CarsSoundSystem/messages/start

http://forums.delphiforums.com/diy4fun/start

Good Luck!

Guest kepiting1sg

Wow Unker Kepiting! That is the most impressive W124 I have ever seen...

I hope you sold it to someone who knew how to appreciate all the work you'd put in it!

hehehehe!!!....I took out all the ICE from that car when I sold it. ;D ;D ;D

I had that car for 3 years and during that 3 years it had 4 changes of HUs

and 3 boot transformations. Each project took 6 to 9 months of complete

Part of that ICE is in my existing ride.