• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

SLK questions

Guest lazyboy77

Guest lazyboy77

I hope some SLk drivers can shed some light on some of my doubts i have on the SLK

1) How is the reliability of the SLK for day to day use?

2) Any workshop other than C and C is capable to service the SLK? I dont like the idea of sending the car there for the whole day....How often is the interval for servicing?

3) Any recall so far for the SLk? If yes for what problems??

4) Is there any loading on Insurance for owning such a car? I have owned the Integra Type R and the Evo 9 , the insurance premium is quite high compared to other cars.....SO for SLk how much average u guys are paying for in regards to your age and NCD? I am currently 30 going 31 with 20% NCD......anyone can advise on the premium?

5) Any difference if i were to get from PI and C and C? i know there are some savings in price but what about the warrenty Issues? Thats why the reliability Issue comes in......I have some friends who got BMWs and they keep complaining over the reliability of the car, not in terms on the engine but minor issues like the engine check light comes on, rattling sound here and there even for a new car etc.....

6) A new SLk with AMG body kit from cycle is selling ard 200k which works out to be ard 17k plus depreciation, A used one in the market also is asking ard that price......whats a reasonable depreciation for a used one?? Anyone here bought a used one?

Thanks for the input

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Raskie

Comments from a non-SLK owner ...

PI vs C&C - if you get from a reliable PI, then no course for concern. MBM is a respected workshop with the relevant diagnostic tools for servicing inc tuning/comestic mod capabilities. Believe several members can attest to MBM's professionalism.

I owned a PI W211 and had it serviced at MBM. The car had no problem at all and the service cost was unbelievably low. Std servicing typically takes 1/2 day. ;D

Recall - again if u get from reliable PI, then recall shd not be an issue. My BIL got a WISH and during one recall, he had no problem going back to get the problem retified with no fuss.

Pre-owned vs brand new - very personal. I do mind good quality pre-owned and esp the higher end model which might be that little out of my reach. Also knowing the 1st owner bear the brunt of the depre helps. ::)

Insurance - depends on alot of factors, namely, age, profession, NCD, type of car etc. I believe turbo-charged cars will carry extra loading .. not sure if SLK belongs to that category but since it is a cabrio .. hmm maybe.

I guess at the end of the day, you must like the car (or the looks of the car) and have worked out the financials .. then go for it. I personally think it is a nice car to own and drive ... although it might not be suitable if it is expected to be a grocery carrying/pet moving apparatus ! :'(

Guest kepiting1sg

Insurance - depends on alot of factors, namely, age, profession, NCD, type of car etc. I believe turbo-charged cars will carry extra loading .. not sure if SLK belongs to that category but since it is a cabrio .. hmm maybe.

Each time I paid my annual car insurance premium, I smiled. :)

Even though the W203 is supercharged, I could be the one

paying the lowest car insurance premium around.

My car insurance is with AIG which was bundled by C & C with DBS car loan

and I pay only about S$520 a year since day 1. ;D ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

Unker, you special lah ... get the 'best rates' from Singapore, JB and also Batam ;D

Unker always drive slowly & hog the road.

Not everyone will endorse to that as steady pun pee pee!

Driving 90+ km/hr in Lane 1 on expressway is a road hog.

Everyone will shout "Overtaking lane mah!"

Try to drive 80+ km/hr in Lane 2, have to step the brakes so often

because the small goods vehicles drives @ about 75 to 80km/hr

when their speed limit is 60 km/hr.

Pleasure Island driving has taught me be to be patient whern driving especially

following a driver in front on the outer lane driving at <40 km/hr on a 2 lane carriage way. ;D ;D ;D

With >30 years of driving exp. in SG, other parts of the world and I can't remember when I had my last demerit point and with my age and chronic illnesses, the insurance people probably think that my car will more likely to outlive me. ....wakakakak!!! ;D ;D ;D

Guest lazyboy77

520 for insurance is dirt cheap......My Gf is driving a fit with 40% NCD pays 900 for insurance....

For the DBS bank loan , do u have to take max loan before u are entitled to such low insurance rates?? I dont plan to take max loan if u know what i mean

Each time I paid my annual car insurance premium, I smiled. :)

Even though the W203 is supercharged, I could be the one

paying the lowest car insurance premium around.

My car insurance is with AIG which was bundled by C & C with DBS car loan

and I pay only about S$520 a year since day 1. ;D ;D ;D

Guest kepiting1sg
520 for insurance is dirt cheap......My Gf is driving a fit with 40% NCD pays 900 for insurance....

For the DBS bank loan , do u have to take max loan before u are entitled to such low insurance rates?? I dont plan to take max loan if u know what i mean

No! I didn't took the max. loan and instalment payments over a 7 yrs. period @ 2.75% interest at that time of buying my car. If I remember correctly, I took only 70% loan on the purchase price.

I've the full 50% NCD, plus some small special discount + 5% more for a clean driving record.

Age, maritial status & job could be a factor.

I am 50+ yrs. old, married and have an office job. ;D

Guest kepiting1sg

I pay $625 for my C180 insurance...$100 more than the 50+ year old man because I am 40+.......so it is $10 for every year difference ;D

Very logical deduction.....wakakakka! ;D ;D ;D