• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Tough choice: 10 year old E200 or brand new Renault convertible ???

Guest angela

Guest angela

I'm thinking of replacing my upcoming 10 year old E200 (W210). I'm quite fond of a convertible, but cannot afford the SLK.

How do you guys compare a 10 year old E220 (with COE renewed) with a brand new Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet in term of prestige and statue?

Will I be losing all the respect and prestige that I have been so used to get over the last 10 years by changing to a Renault?

BTW, do you guys think a renault convertible is a good buy? If not, anything else to recommend?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prestige wise - Mercedes for sure hands down. Even my old W124 gets a fairly healthy sign of respect from valets with comments like "wah still in such good condition, runs like clockwork etc etc"

I am not particularly fond of Renaults. I tend to think their engines run a little harsh after awhile. I don't think the resale market is that healthy for Renaults too.

Ever considered a new 10yr COE SLK R170 ? I think they are available for about 70+ - 80k range.

If you are after the convertible driving experience, perhaps you may want to consider an MX-5. Bog standard straight out of the showroom, it handles like a dream. Confidence inspiring handling really.

Sorry for replying in spurts..... or you could renew your COE like Redbell mentioned and bling out your Merc with a new bodykit, respray and rims.

Heheheheheh. ;D

Guest angela

Wow...so many people suggest me to renew the COE for my Mercs. This is very interesting.

So driving a renault convertible is really so much lower?

BTW, what about comparing a 10 year E200 with a brand new BMW 320? How would this compare in term of prestige and statue?

So driving a renault convertible is really so much lower?

BTW, what about comparing a 10 year E200 with a brand new BMW 320? How would this compare in term of prestige and statue?

Wouldn't say it's very much lower in status as it's still a continental built vehicle but I guess the design of the car being more understated than most other convertibles isn't really giving it a huge wow factor. Also Renault's brand perception is not seen as "trustable + dependable" but more as an alternative to other continental brands available here.

Mmm.. I guess it wouldn't be fair comparing an E class with the 3 series. C class vs 3 series is more level a playing field. The E should be compared with 5 series.

Not really a big fan of the whole Chris Bangle design thing so in my biased opinion, the 10 year old E200 commands more prestige as a "proper" mid sized luxury vehicle as opposed to a more yuppie-youngish appeal of the 320.

Guest angela

Mmm.. I guess it wouldn't be fair comparing an E class with the 3 series. C class vs 3 series is more level a playing field. The E should be compared with 5 series.

Not really a big fan of the whole Chris Bangle design thing so in my biased opinion, the 10 year old E200 commands more prestige as a "proper" mid sized luxury vehicle as opposed to a more yuppie-youngish appeal of the 320.

Yes, you are right. A brand new E should compare with a brand new 5 series, and a brand new C should compare with a brand new 3 series.

However, my question was, how is a 10 year old W210 E200 compares to a brand new C320 in term of status? I know this is not a material thing because the $ of a 10 year old E200 < $ of a brand new C320.

Sorry for my ignorance.....who is Chris Bangle?

However, my question was, how is a 10 year old W210 E200 compares to a brand new C320 in term of status? I know this is not a material thing because the $ of a 10 year old E200

Orrr.... your earlier post put BMW 320 instead of C320 bro hehehe.. Chris Bangle is head designer at BMW.

Guest angela

HI there guys,

I have to agree everyone's input is undeniable. But to me U comparing 10 yr old SEDAN car & a brand new CABRIO. Its really 2 world apart. {Just like a choice of a lady in the 40s and a 20s ah gua. Which one u prefer! Hahaha.... rubbish irrelevant comparison.} Anyway, Most important is what car u looking for? Your profession, lifestyle maybe factors in choosing a right car. To me, Sedan is more for people indicating stability, safe, family oriented, pratical. Cabrio, 2nd car?(mine is the 1st car) have fun as much as possible. When age comes there will be a time to drive Sedan cars(so no worries about that). Something like that... cant think more at this moment.

Whats yours? Lao chio or Ah gua? Both has the assets still. Haha....

Saltydog, I realise you use prestige n status as a comparison. To me, if thats the factor i think it shouldn't be a tough choice. The answer is right infront of you. Lao chio.

Guest kepiting1sg

HI there guys,

I have to agree everyone's input is undeniable. But to me U comparing 10 yr old SEDAN car & a brand new CABRIO. Its really 2 world apart. {Just like a choice of a lady in the 40s and a 20s ah gua. Which one u prefer! Hahaha.... rubbish irrelevant comparison.} Anyway, Most important is what car u looking for? Your profession, lifestyle maybe factors in choosing a right car. To me, Sedan is more for people indicating stability, safe, family oriented, pratical. Cabrio, 2nd car?(mine is the 1st car) have fun as much as possible. When age comes there will be a time to drive Sedan cars(so no worries about that). Something like that... cant think more at this moment.

Whats yours? Lao chio or Ah gua? Both has the assets still. Haha....

Saltydog, I realise you use prestige n status as a comparison. To me, if thats the factor i think it shouldn't be a tough choice. The answer is right infront of you. Lao chio.

Fully agreeable with your opinion! ;)

Speaking as a Lau Hum Ku...heheheh....old enough and hamsup too....but I dun do guys.....wahahahah!!! ;D ;D ;D

When I was young, I drove 2 cabrios & lots of coupe.

6 years back, when I returned to SG often, I thought I was still young at heart and wanted an MX5, even test drive

a Lotus Elan and nearly wanted to restore an old Lotus Espirit.

Finally thoughts of getting remarried(divorced >8 years) and starting a family again, lan lan settled for a "BUY A new 10 YRS. OLD COE" for a 9 years old W124......."back to earth".... ;D ;D ;D

Guest angela

I'm a new W124 owner, and I am still in the midst of slowly fixing all the niggles my 16yr old Merc has. there aren't many to fix really.

Driving it, i feel less in a hurry to get somewhere partly 'cos the car body is heavy and it's more of a cruiser than a zippy, sporty coupe crabirolet.

I'll be 31 in sept, and i don't feel like the car is too old for me. I like the look of the car, and I think if you still like your car, there's no harm renewing the COE. Going for another E-class would be nice too but if your heart lies with the Renault, buy what you like. before i bought my W124, I was asking around about the car, and one friend whose dad drives a merc said he would not buy one. My friend drives an Altis and he feels the Altis is a much better car, and he is of the opinion that Merc drivers buy Mercs only for prestige and image. ::)

While the car does put forward a certain image, i bought the merc for the solid body despite the FC, and I used to drive a corolla G9, and i don't think the corolla is better in every way by far. Pros and cons.

i would very much like to try the BMW 5 series as an alternative, but Renaults never appealed to me much. how about an older 3 series coupe? They have nice proportions...

Guest oneoneeight (avalanche)

Renault Cabrio is nice and nothing beats a new car but you'd be losing a lot on the Renault Cabrio.

Why not a used R129 or a 80's 911? Definitely more stylish than the Renault. But old cars will always be old cars - Higher maintenance.

Guest et209

It also depends on whether ur merc has been giving problems or not and also can u find a reliable mechanic to help maintain ur car.. lastly.. be prepared for some wear and tear repairs.. i have a R170 and i m keeping it.. just spent $400 on replacing a MAS. At least an old R170 and enjoy driving to work everyday than a new Madza3 and feeling sian to work!! my 2 cents comments.. :laugh: