• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Benz or Bimmer?

Guest tomasulu

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi astrid,

C280, fast man.......231hp and 300nm V6......sure to eat the 325, cause 3L v6 vs 2.5 IL6 - can't compare.........

maybe C280 should try with E46 330 same hp and nm............

good and power ride you have there man..........

vroom vroom

cheers

astrid wrote:

This is my maiden post in sgmerc.com.

I owned a BMW previously.

At that time, I swore that BMWs drive and handle better than Mercs (on parity platforms) in any way you look at it. And of course the venerable IL6 BMW engines.

But with the W204 C-Class, I believe Merc has finally 'caught' up with BMW on the handling stakes. Especially the V6 models, when in 'Sport' mode.

I believe my current C280 can eat any of the 3-er models carried by PML, for all meals 24/7/52 ... with the exception of the 335i (cos TC, so no fight) and the M3.

0-100 in 7.2 secs ... Golf GTi territory. So yes, even the 325i is not spared.

And BTW, the V6-engined W204 models' sport suspensions are sprung 15mm lower than the Kompressor models. Its one helluva road hugger!

astrid wrote:

This is my maiden post in sgmerc.com.

I owned a BMW previously.

At that time, I swore that BMWs drive and handle better than Mercs (on parity platforms) in any way you look at it. And of course the venerable IL6 BMW engines.

But with the W204 C-Class, I believe Merc has finally 'caught' up with BMW on the handling stakes. Especially the V6 models, when in 'Sport' mode.

I believe my current C280 can eat any of the 3-er models carried by PML, for all meals 24/7/52 ... with the exception of the 335i (cos TC, so no fight) and the M3.

0-100 in 7.2 secs ... Golf GTi territory. So yes, even the 325i is not spared.

And BTW, the V6-engined W204 models' sport suspensions are sprung 15mm lower than the Kompressor models. Its one helluva road hugger!

Woah C280 0-100 in 7.2 secs?! I had no idea the new cars were that good! My old car, the SL350 did 0-100 in 7.2 secs :( So much for a 3.8 litre engine.

Sareve wrote:

Woah C280 0-100 in 7.2 secs?! I had no idea the new cars were that good! My old car, the SL350 did 0-100 in 7.2 secs :( So much for a 3.8 litre engine.

Get rid of your folding metal roof and you'll go sub 7. :whistle:

Sareve wrote:

The specific power (BHP/L) of MB engines have definitely been improved over the years, but I think the 7G-Tronic tranny also plays a significant part.

Looking at the W204 specs, I noticed an (apparent) anomaly:

For all car makes, for the same model, engine capacity / type, a manual tranny would normally always give a quicker 0-100 timing on paper, than an automatic one.

This 'rule' applies for the W204 1.6L BE, 1.8L Kompressor and C230 models, where the manual tranny's 0-100 specs are quicker than for the 5-speed automatic tranny.

HOWEVER,

For the C280 with 7G-Tronic, the automatic tranny specs shaves 0.1 sec from the 0-100 timing, compared to the manual one!!! i.e., Auto is quicker than a Manual :high5:

I have checked this from various MB websites and I can confirm that it is not a mis-print in the C-Class brochure.

Incredible isn't it? And 7G-Tronic is not even anywhere close to a DSG-equilvalent setup.

Hi Astrid,

i sold my SLK about 3 months ago (good ride) now driving the latest hard top z4......(not too bad)

i am a bimmer guy - Lol......

cheers

astrid wrote:

Thanks bro. Will get to enjoy it more, once 'broken in'.

You driving an SLK?

ACSLK wrote:

Hi Astrid,

i sold my SLK about 3 months ago (good ride) now driving the latest hard top z4......(not too bad)

cheers

The new Z4's :thumb::rockon:

I did consider it, but for now, I think I still need the 4 doors.

Guest kepiting1sg

ACSLK wrote:

Hi Astrid,

cheers

Gone to the Dark side liao!!!! :Cry:

g8crasher wrote:

The styling on this Z4 beats the previous one. ACSLK made a good switch - I'd get it over the SLK. :boink:

Thanks Thanks...........

both are good n nice Roadster..............

vroom vroom

cheers

Guest kepiting1sg

ACSLK wrote:

Dark and Poisonous man......................

cheers

Congrats on your new Zeeee4!!!!!! ....huat arh!!!!!!:music:

MOD! MOD! MOD!.....MTL!!!!!!!

Next Mth Unker mod Stage 1.....not MTL...but mTm....hehehehe!

Bring it to 275 horses & 390 Nm.......good enough for old Unker weak heart.....hehehehe!!!!:becky: