• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Wiring changed for whole car?

Guest E200

Sigh... been having multiple breakdowns in the lighting system. First it was headlight (one side got light sometimes, other times no light). Then it was the driver seat dashboard speaker - sometimes got sound, sometimes no sound). Now the latest - my dashboard dials: one side got light, one side no light... Frustrating!!

Anybody can advise should I need to overhaul the entire car's wiring system (ie change new wires for the whole car)? Anybody done it before - How long will such a job take, and how much is it?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks, bro. But the frustrating thing is that it seems all the electrical stuff seem to be breaking down... don't know coincidence or not. so since going to change bulbs, thought might as well do an overhaul of the wires..

But never heard of anyone doing it before. do you know if any workshop does such things, and if so how complex is it?

Sigh... been having multiple breakdowns in the lighting system. First it was headlight (one side got light sometimes, other times no light). Then it was the driver seat dashboard speaker - sometimes got sound, sometimes no sound). Now the latest - my dashboard dials: one side got light, one side no light... Frustrating!!

Anybody can advise should I need to overhaul the entire car's wiring system (ie change new wires for the whole car)? Anybody done it before - How long will such a job take, and how much is it?

What's the age of your car and do you park it in the open / undercover ? Have you checked your fuses lately ? Mmm..

Trying to think of what else could cause this... Rewiring can be done but the cost of the loom will be around the $1k plus mark excluding labour. Should take about a day or two for a W124/W140/W210.

--------------------------

Just occured to me if you own a W124 mfr'd btwn 94-95 and haven't swapped out the loom previously, you might suffer from the well documented loom disintegration ?

i am not sure if what i am going to say holds any element of truth

but my relative had a W210 4sp (first batch from C&C) in 97

all the bulbs take their turn to blow every couple of months.

same for another uncle with a W140 MY92.

subsequently the former changed to a W210 Kompressor in 2001 and there were not other problems anymore.

What's the age of your car and do you park it in the open / undercover ? Have you checked your fuses lately ? Mmm..

Trying to think of what else could cause this... Rewiring can be done but the cost of the loom will be around the $1k plus mark excluding labour. Should take about a day or two for a W124/W140/W210.

Just occured to me if you own a W124 mfr'd btwn 94-95 and haven't swapped out the loom previously, you might suffer from the well documented loom disintegration ?

Thanks for the suggestions, bro. I'm driving a Oct 92 W124. Haven't parked under the sun for a long long long long ..... time already. For fuses, don't know how to check them leh... :surrender:

Do you know if the "loom integration" also applies to 92 models?

Think of having to spend $1K+ and still got to go without car for 2 days... sigh... now getting cold feet liao. Maybe I just take bro Kel's advice - just change accordingly when the problem happens...

:punk1:

Thanks for the suggestions, bro. I'm driving a Oct 92 W124. Haven't parked under the sun for a long long long long ..... time already. For fuses, don't know how to check them leh... :surrender:

Do you know if the "loom integration" also applies to 92 models?

Think of having to spend $1K+ and still got to go without car for 2 days... sigh... now getting cold feet liao. Maybe I just take bro Kel's advice - just change accordingly when the problem happens...

:punk1:

bro, come for gtg,

will try help u check