• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W205 concerns

Hi

I just started driving a W205 (2015 model). I noticed some concerns and seek some of the experts' opinions.

1) Start/stop

Several occasions when the car stopped at red traffic lights, the start/stop worked but restarted before I stepped accelerator. It lasted for a short while. I'm using a Varta 80mAh battery though. Not sure it's start/stop or battery issue?

2) 225/45/17 tires

I'm using 225/45/17 tires though I know the official recommended is 225/50/17. When I drive over hump, I notice the suspension quite poor and hit the hump a few times. Is it I use the wrong tires size or suspension or control arms problems? Now I must drive quite slowly over the hump to avoid hitting it. When I drive with my family, I have to drive even more slowly.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Start/stop - alot of calculations come into it. The aircon setting, road traffic, distance travelled and car battery lifespan. Would recommend to turn it off as sg traffic not much benefit compared to overseas conditions. 

2. official is 225/50/17? Have u checked if the tyres pressure is correct for all? U can check the reading on the fuel cap label. Age of the car? Maybe need to check the suspension if more than 5 years. 
if urs not amg line model the suspension should not be too hard. 

Thank you. On my previous W204, I found out it's the battery that affected the eco start/stop functions. After I changed to a new battery the eco start/stop worked fine. But the battery is about 10 months old so I hope if it's not as battery on my new W205.

Car is about 7 years old. Yes 225/50/17 is the recommended tire size. Mine is 225/45/17 as it's transferred from my old ride as the current tires seem botak. A bit pity I may need to change as it make the car a bit lower. And mine is Avantgarde, not AMG Line model.

Are you also driving W205? It's because I exchanged my Varta 80 mAH battery which I changed last May. But the previous battery was actually 70 mAH and dated late 2020. I was surprised as I had been using 80 mAH for my W204 and not sure why previous owner used 70 mAH for W205. W205 supposedly has more electronic features, start/stop etc but the battery is smaller in size?

Yes it's Varta 80 mAh AGM battery that I got last May. I was surprised that 70 mAH was the default for W205. Thanks for sharing as being an used car owner, I had to rely on what was the previous setup. It's always hard to believe the shop as they always have different opinions and advices.

Exactly. If 70 mAH is sufficient then I may change as it's cheaper. I only surprised that W205 has some many electronics features and with start/stop function, it should require a bigger capacity. But if 70 mAH is ok then I think not necessary to use a bigger battery.