• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

need help with headunit

Guest eokh

Howdy !!

have a semi-new HU from one of my prev cars sitting on the shelves doing nothing

recently having a bit more time on my hands

had been trying to rip out my old single disc HU and replacing it with this semi-new one

somehow i simply cannot pull out the old HU

why ??

is there any other mounting screws at the back that i need to remove ??

i had been looking around the foot well area but could not find any access points to access the back of the HU

does any folks have any kind advise for this poor sob ?

many thanks in adv !!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried the usual methods ?

Method 1

Cut 2 strips of wire (can be made from wire type clothes hangers) and insert on either side of the head unit approx somewhere in the middle in between the metal sleeve and the head unit. Push the wire till you hear a click or observe that the head unit is "ejecting" out of the metal sleeve surrounding it.

Method 2

Involves prying the carpet and trim tucked under the side of center console panel. You will see an air vent located just below the right side of the glove compartment. Pry the carpet away followed by the trim board from underneath the side of the center console panel.

If you carefully squeeze your hand through that gap created by prying the carpet and trim panel, you will be able to feel the rear end of the head unit. If you're lucky enough, a little push may be able to get your head unit to eject from the metal sleeve, allowing you to pull the unit out.

Do it slowly in case the wires behind are not soldered/crimped properly.

Have fun.

Have you tried the usual methods ?

Method 1

Cut 2 strips of wire (can be made from wire type clothes hangers) and insert on either side of the head unit approx somewhere in the middle in between the metal sleeve and the head unit. Push the wire till you hear a click or observe that the head unit is "ejecting" out of the metal sleeve surrounding it.

Method 2

Involves prying the carpet and trim tucked under the side of center console panel. You will see an air vent located just below the right side of the glove compartment. Pry the carpet away followed by the trim board from underneath the side of the center console panel.

If you carefully squeeze your hand through that gap created by prying the carpet and trim panel, you will be able to feel the rear end of the head unit. If you're lucky enough, a little push may be able to get your head unit to eject from the metal sleeve, allowing you to pull the unit out.

Do it slowly in case the wires behind are not soldered/crimped properly.

Have fun.

already tried method 1

no luck

apparently the HU is so old that the spring clips dont bounce anymore

HU jus simply stagnates in position

my worst fears has just come true

looks like method 2 is inevitable liao

Thanks very much G8 bro !!!