• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

My W124 lost power...

Guest Reinhold

Guest Reinhold

Gd day.....currently I am driving 1989 200E. Just earlier today I was driving and as I accelerate, the car just didnt change gear..and the exhaust is making lotsa noise. went to the wshop and changed the spark plug but the problem persist...Now if I want to accelerate for more speed, it will just rev at high rpm but the gear did not change..

Anyone can help???

BTW..... I have a set of W124 original seats that I wanna sell (driver & passenger seat). If anyone interested just send pm.

:swduel:

Reinhold

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gd day.....currently I am driving 1989 200E. Just earlier today I was driving and as I accelerate, the car just didnt change gear..and the exhaust is making lotsa noise. went to the wshop and changed the spark plug but the problem persist...Now if I want to accelerate for more speed, it will just rev at high rpm but the gear did not change..

Anyone can help???

BTW..... I have a set of W124 original seats that I wanna sell (driver & passenger seat). If anyone interested just send pm.

Reinhold

Can clarify if you can engage 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear but can't upshift into 4th ?

Sounds like a valve body problem. It is likely that a piston to engage the proper gear in your valve body is stuck or damaged hence it doesn't upshift.

This could also be due to lack of vacuum pressure somewhere in the system.

Suggest you send it to your mech for a checkup. Some of us have experienced this problem before. I personally was stuck in 3rd gear till I had the valve body replaced.

Used valve bodies start from $400 ++. Brand new is around $1500 if I am not mistaken.

Hope it helps.

Guest Reinhold

Can clarify if you can engage 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear but can't upshift into 4th ?

Sounds like a valve body problem. It is likely that a piston to engage the proper gear in your valve body is stuck or damaged hence it doesn't upshift.

This could also be due to lack of vacuum pressure somewhere in the system.

Suggest you send it to your mech for a checkup. Some of us have experienced this problem before. I personally was stuck in 3rd gear till I had the valve body replaced.

Used valve bodies start from $400 ++. Brand new is around $1500 if I am not mistaken.

Hope it helps.

if from stationery, i drove off casually, yes it can engage the gears....but if i encounter a slope...and to pick up speed and power...thats where the problem arise.. it will go a gear down (4th down to 3rd) and the engine will drag till i release the accelerator then the gear will change. While this things happened, the car didnt accelerate faster. do you think it is the fuel distributor??

Guest eokh

based on yr description .... if the engine rpm is rising

but the car speed is not accelerating correspondingly ... chances is that there is clutch slippage in the auto tranny.

Which means an expensive tranny rebuild.

BTW wat color are your seats ?? if grey I am interested. I pm you my tel number now

Guest qes78

Anyone can help???

Reinhold

u got pm on the seats man

if from stationery, i drove off casually, yes it can engage the gears....but if i encounter a slope...and to pick up speed and power...thats where the problem arise.. it will go a gear down (4th down to 3rd) and the engine will drag till i release the accelerator then the gear will change. While this things happened, the car didnt accelerate faster. do you think it is the fuel distributor??

check with your mech, see if its what g8crasher said, if not is your Fuel Distributor, which you will need a fuel injection cleaner and have to go burn carbon!! which i must go do it, but really can't find the time yet!! :banghead:

Guest Reinhold

I know whats the problem oredi....the other day I actually pump 92Ron from shell (usually I pump 5000 from mobil)...then after that the exhaust start to have explosion sound...haha thought I have transformed the exhaust to those WRX...but seems that the carbon build up is too much oredi...Guess I made a wrong petrol choice.

To those who pm me on the seats, its original birch color and still in good condition..(Im the second owner of the car) changed the seat in 2007 to the current electronic version. Im looking to let go both (driver and passenger side) at $450 (nego). Must self collect.

Thanks