• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W203 : Aircon Gremlins

g8crasher

Anyone here experienced the following ?

. Aircon refuses to work but may decide to come on every once in awhile

. Engine check light is on (may or may not be related to the aircon since servicing is due in 1000km)

Assuming there is no issue with a lack of refrigerant & the temperature sensor is working.. what the hell could it be ?

Sent the car back to C&C but their lovely answer was to replace the entire aircon system at $5k.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Merc-C

My aircon gave in on me sometime back, was blowing normal air so as good as no air con. Checked with C&C and was quoted few thousand for replacement. :banghead:

So I went to one of the shops in Sin Ming to get it replaced and the cost? One thousand. :punk1:

Not orignal parts though but till now still working fine. :bboyspin:

My aircon gave in on me sometime back, was blowing normal air so as good as no air con. Checked with C&C and was quoted few thousand for replacement. :banghead:

So I went to one of the shops in Sin Ming to get it replaced and the cost? One thousand. :punk1:

Thanks for the info dude. I just came back from a short drive. The aircon has decided to function properly each time I restarted (4 times in total). Checking the air intake manifold hose tmrw to see if it needs replacement.

@g8crasher

may i know how old is your ride? just trying to prepare myself when the aircon decide to go kapoo...

Car in question belongs to fudder in law. It's my interim ride while I look for a small runabout.

Approx 4 years old now.

Parking under the sun has done alot of damage in 4 years. I'm almost ashamed of the condition. Aircon vent plastic/rubber/vinyl dials are "melting".. some bits feel sticky. Gonna rid the glass of hard water stains tomorrow. The stains are very pronounced when looking at the rear windscreen through the rear view mirror at night.

Guest Cklasse

My W203 is always under sun in my work place. However, the air con is still running problem free (now at 150 000 km, >5 years). The rubber coated air con button melted under long exposure to the sun. However, this sticky mess can be removed by wiping it off with industrial grade alcohol. I think thinner should work too.

g8crasher, just turn the buttons to the minimum, remember the position and plug out the button to clean it. My sticky buttons are now as good as new after cleaning.

btw, the hottest part of the car under the hot sun is the bonnet, followed by the dashboard. I had measured the temp with a handheld IR instrument and it can goes as high as >50 C for bonnet.

Guest RedDevils

Hi Bro,

Care to share your contacts thru PM?

Thanks!

Jacked in diagnosis just now at my regular mech and 5 error codes reported. Looks like it's a case of the intake manifold rubber hose disintegration. This is characterized by a hissing noise and a rather shaky looking and feeling M271 engine. Should be fixed by the end of the day. :)

So much for lazy !@#%$%@#!@$&^* Eunos C&C Service Centre personnel who can't even be bothered to hook up the car to the diagnostics machine. Have the cheek to say there is nothing wrong with the engine check light appearing + suggest to change the aircon system for $5k + dare to charge money for doing F**K ALL. :1mfinger:

Nothing personal against the sales side :yumyum:

Guest ehwwong

i think its always smart to seek 2nd opinion.. looks like plenty of brudders manage to save some $$$ after sending the car to a 2nd place.. not necessarily C&C .. even outside workshop also like dat

Picked up the car this evening. 6 hoses were changed. In addition to this, cam cover leaking engine oil, shock absorbers completely worn (freaking dangerous at high speed), battery unchanged since the car was bought (WTF !?), aircon compressor or activating piston needs replacement, tyres need replacement.

Like bro ehwwong has mentioned, PLEASE SEEK 2ND OPINION.

Makes one wonder if they deserve to be called mechanics at all. Incompetent.