• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Do you switch off your aircon?

Guest ehwwong

Guest holmiumz

Thanx all bros..I have tried few ways and still monitoring...I guess last thing I wan to do is air freshener but if no choice then boh bian...I will try not to off air con see if it works...but confirm wont spoilt the car hor? :D :D :D :D

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Thanx all bros..I have tried few ways and still monitoring...I guess last thing I wan to do is air freshener but if no choice then boh bian...I will try not to off air con see if it works...but confirm wont spoilt the car hor? :D :D :D :D

No issue.... Just do not switch off the engine while the air con is at full blast. Bring it down to the lowest speed before you switch off the engine.

With regards to air-freshener, my advise is to not use it. In fact air-freshener after while will make the smell worse. Plus you run a risk of it leaking and damaging the panel. Let me tell you, CONFIRM will damage ah..... Seen it liao.... :o

Guest dashy

Hi guys,

The smell comes from the condensed water that is soaked with the surrounding sponge around the cooling fins. With the condensed water soaking everyday and night, bateria will grow and the smell will come.

I had this problem with my W203. I used the air con bateria spray some 1.5 years back and so far no smell. I got it from autobacs. If you decides to use it, read and follow the instruction carefully.

Hope this helps

Cheers :)

Guest blackmercs

Most of the new cars have this problem. Just put to auto mode for a month or so and full blast it a few times whenever u feel like it, this will solves the smell problem. But one of my fren loves this smell, he said reminds him of someone!!! hmmmm

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Most of the new cars have this problem. Just put to auto mode for a month or so and full blast it a few times whenever u feel like it, this will solves the smell problem. But one of my fren loves this smell, he said reminds him of someone!!! hmmmm

Huh?!?! Eeeuuu......

The actual term used in MB about this is called a tiger urine smell.... Like machiam they smell tiger urine before.... hahahaha

Guest mbc230avg

There's a Taiwanese product - bamboo charcoal filter which is sold in Giant for about $10. Just leave it under the driver's seat - really effective in removing any odour.

Guest Cerano

orh!! This is great info. Thanx bro. Wats the name of the spray?

Ok, managed to find the brand. It called comma Anti Bateria Air Con Cleaner.

Here is the link: http://www.cleanair.com.sg/products.htm.

My last used was 1.5 years ago, till now, no foul smell.

This is said in the site

We are a strong supporter of car clubs, so car club moderators are also welcome to contact us for discounts.

heh maybe 9339 can work some magic?

Guest ehwwong

ok.. today i finally got the smelly feet smell from the AC... not sure why, but even when i packet food, it is always in the boot area.. no food or drinks in the seating area..

does the anti-bateria affect any of the filter that is already existing in the merc AC?

Guest holmiumz

yo bro, finally u smell it (no offence ah) ...it is very irritating right? imagine ur frens in ur merc and has such smell? arggghhh pek chek...finding ways to kill it. lets solve the mystery together

Guest Cerano

ok.. today i finally got the smelly feet smell from the AC... not sure why, but even when i packet food, it is always in the boot area.. no food or drinks in the seating area..

does the anti-bateria affect any of the filter that is already existing in the merc AC?

Bro you so fast kena?

You SJQ leh i SJP i still havnt get... maybe cuz i weekend car only... :clap:

Guest toledosun

hey bro issit true to leave the aircon on always will kill the odor? my car always has the stinky smell everytime i on my air con leh..tried few methods mentioned by bro here but still the same..my SE ever says tat is bcoz of the 3m mat , issit true...the smell very embarrasing leh :(

Hi Holminumz,

I'm not sure how old your car is but if the smell is like that of rotten fish, it may well be that there is a leak in your evaporator. If so, and your car is still under warranty, better get it rectified. A leaking evaporator cannot be repaired, needs to be replaced and it's quite expensive so...

Guest ehwwong

ah wong, you so fast kana the smell? i haven't kana leh.

still monitoring the situation... i blast full air speed without turning on the aircon for 10mins while driving at night.. must do another round during afternoon when they are less moisture in the air.. hopefully it will clear the smelly feet..

PS: i don't have smelly feet, neither do my wife ... can smell if you want too.. hehe

Guest holmiumz

hey bro issit true to leave the aircon on always will kill the odor? my car always has the stinky smell everytime i on my air con leh..tried few methods mentioned by bro here but still the same..my SE ever says tat is bcoz of the 3m mat , issit true...the smell very embarrasing leh :(

Hi Holminumz,

I'm not sure how old your car is but if the smell is like that of rotten fish, it may well be that there is a leak in your evaporator. If so, and your car is still under warranty, better get it rectified. A leaking evaporator cannot be repaired, needs to be replaced and it's quite expensive so...

bro toledosun, mine was jus 3.5 months old...haiz, i really think it is the 3m mat, I will take it out this weekend and then see if the smell goes away. thanx bro

• 1 month later...
Guest angela

the aircon smell has got to a point where I had to send it in - unsurprisingly the car was returned with no work done and the comment "we cannot smell anything so please monitor".

Have tried setting the temp to high and then leaving it running for 20mins but still no improvement. So, trawled the net and found that the problem is quite common. Seems that there are possibly two issues; the cabin air filter and aircon filter.

For cabin air filter, see it is located at the right side of the engine bay above the battery - see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204-c-class/1441470-diy-changing-cleaning-air-filter-v6-2.html.

Look at Slugger's post on page 2 to see pix specific to W204s.

I checked and found nothing there and the fan looked clean.

For the aircon filter, it is located below the glove compartment - see http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_all/einbau/HBYyDKP4.pdf

Am going to check this out later today and hope that I can replace it.

if this still fails, I am going to send back the car and insist that it is solved

Guest blackmercs

firozk ]

the aircon smell has got to a point where I had to send it in - unsurprisingly the car was returned with no work done and the comment "we cannot smell anything so please monitor".

Have tried setting the temp to high and then leaving it running for 20mins but still no improvement. So, trawled the net and found that the problem is quite common. Seems that there are possibly two issues wrote:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204-c-class/1441470-diy-changing-cleaning-air-filter-v6-2.html[/url].

Look at Slugger's post on page 2 to see pix specific to W204s.

I checked and found nothing there and the fan looked clean.

For the aircon filter, it is located below the glove compartment - see http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_all/einbau/HBYyDKP4.pdf

Am going to check this out later today and hope that I can replace it.

if this still fails, I am going to send back the car and insist that it is solved

Errr you sure u have both of the filters in yr car? One of the bru here mentioned that its not a standard item. Hmm maybe due to the production batch problem.

Guest angela

i confirmed that there is no cabin air filter - easy to open and check.

have not got around to checking the aircon filter cos I dont have torx screwdrivers.

perhaps will just send it to pandan for a quick check with the service advisor

will update once I know

it is embarassing to have a 4month old car (8000km) with such a problem

Guest drift838

Had this problem in my w211 when it was less than 1 yr old. Changed evaporator under warranty. Problem gone.

But do note that to change it = full stripping of front dashboard. Best to let CnC check the car out.

Guest j888

You can go for air cond evaporator cleaning which cost $90-120. The air cond man claimed that it will get rid of the smell. But for me, i keep a can of Dettol Air freshener which claimed can kill 99.9% of all germs. It cost only $6 and can last me almost 1 year. Just spay on the aircond return duct and the smell is gone immediately, and can last for at least 1-2 months before it comes back again.