• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

retrofit paddle shift?

Guest xuexun

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest NewC180

This ebay item is just for the CF paddles without the steering.

I've done a 'research' on this before. If you car currently don't have paddleshift, you will need to buy a steering wheel with paddleshift (plus air bag also), and you will have to do EXTENSIVE (read messy) wiring job, cost of wiring should be $500 thereabout. Benzline can do it. MBM I ask before but they never give me a concrete answer.

I won't recommend this, might mess up your whole car's electronics! And steering is not something you wanna play play with.

Guest xuexun

Oh and if you still die die must have paddleshift and wanna take the risk, PM me, I give you a good lobang to buy a very cheap and nice steering wheel.

Ah... u researched before.. then save me time to research! haha.

I not die die want to have paddleshift, just that would be nice to have if its easy to retrofit. :)

Does the shifter paddle work on other models too? I die die want paddle shift on my car.

The AMG sport package paddle shift "Manual mode" works slightly different from the std gear shift D1,D2....D5. In gear shift, let say u stop your car at D4 ; apply brake to still. When u move yr car at this mode, it will auto up shift D1 to D4. But for "Manual" paddle mode, it will back to 1st gear again and u need to paddle up shift M1..M2...M3...total manual !

Guest NewC180

Does the shifter paddle work on other models too? I die die want paddle shift on my car.

What model are you driving?

My little research so far revolves around W204 only. But as far as I know, if your current car does not have paddleshift, then definitely a lot of wiring works have to be done. If die die want then I'm sure it can be done. First thing to do is to find a suitable steering wheel that comes with paddleshift (if it exists). Try ebay. Talk to Benzline also, price not cheap but I think they can do it.

Guest NewC180

The AMG sport package paddle shift "Manual mode" works slightly different from the std gear shift D1,D2....D5. In gear shift, let say u stop your car at D4 ; apply brake to still. When u move yr car at this mode, it will auto up shift D1 to D4. But for "Manual" paddle mode, it will back to 1st gear again and u need to paddle up shift M1..M2...M3...total manual !

It is normal to start off with 1st gear when the car has stopped. You can't expect the car to start off with the 4th gear right?

For my W204 without paddleshift, when you shift to manual mode while driving halfway, let say it shows D4. Then when you slow down to a complete stop, it will still show D4, though the actual gear engaged is maybe 1st or 2nd. Then when you move off, the car will change gear itself and go up to the 4th gear. Disadvantage of this is that you cannot select the exact gear that you want (say if you wanna take a bend at 3rd gear).

The steptronic in BMW works in a very different way. When the display shows D4 means you are definitely in 4th gear. Maybe the paddleshift in the AMG package works in this same way. So for guys without AMG package and retrofitting a paddleshift yourself, it might not work this way, and might just work in the same 'up to xx gear' way as I've stated above.

My ang moh not very good, hope I'm not confusing you guys.

PM me if anyone wanna meet up and know more about this. Can show you guys the difference.

What model are you driving?

My little research so far revolves around W204 only. But as far as I know, if your current car does not have paddleshift, then definitely a lot of wiring works have to be done. If die die want then I'm sure it can be done. First thing to do is to find a suitable steering wheel that comes with paddleshift (if it exists). Try ebay. Talk to Benzline also, price not cheap but I think they can do it.

Fully agree. Was reading up some threads in the US based forums and boy does it look like a right mess!!!! Saw some of them steering wheels which were badly modified and had horrible finishing standards. Not worth the trouble w/o the right people working on it!

NewC180 ]

The AMG sport package paddle shift "Manual mode" works slightly different from the std gear shift D1,D2....D5. In gear shift, let say u stop your car at D4 wrote:

It is normal to start off with 1st gear when the car has stopped. You can't expect the car to start off with the 4th gear right?

For my W204 without paddleshift, when you shift to manual mode while driving halfway, let say it shows D4. Then when you slow down to a complete stop, it will still show D4, though the actual gear engaged is maybe 1st or 2nd. Then when you move off, the car will change gear itself and go up to the 4th gear. Disadvantage of this is that you cannot select the exact gear that you want (say if you wanna take a bend at 3rd gear).

The steptronic in BMW works in a very different way. When the display shows D4 means you are definitely in 4th gear. Maybe the paddleshift in the AMG package works in this same way. So for guys without AMG package and retrofitting a paddleshift yourself, it might not work this way, and might just work in the same 'up to xx gear' way as I've stated above.

My ang moh not very good, hope I'm not confusing you guys.

PM me if anyone wanna meet up and know more about this. Can show you guys the difference.

Yap, thats what i want to stress, if not the AMG package, its does not work like "manual" mode despite install the paddles. Many of times when we are in manual mode, we do not want the car to up gear by itself ! (to maintain high RPM )

Guest NewC180

mmkm ]

NewC180 ]

The AMG sport package paddle shift "Manual mode" works slightly different from the std gear shift D1,D2....D5. In gear shift, let say u stop your car at D4 wrote:

It is normal to start off with 1st gear when the car has stopped. You can' wrote:

Yap, thats what i want to stress, if not the AMG package, its does not work like "manual" mode despite install the paddles. Many of times when we are in manual mode, we do not want the car to up gear by itself ! (to maintain high RPM )

EXACTLY!!! At least you guys understand my ang moh!

Guest NewC180

Kepiting1sg ]

My ang moh not very good, hope I' wrote:

Bro Heng!

Your england much better than mine....heheheheh!! ;D

Unker, bo la, wait till you hear my hokkien, much better than my england.

Should I translate my whole post to hokkien for you? Ha ha... better end OT, if not I kena warning again lor.....

Guest kepiting1sg

Unker, bo la, wait till you hear my hokkien, much better than my england.

Should I translate my whole post to hokkien for you? Ha ha... better end OT, if not I kena warning again lor.....

Ko We Ah Hia, Ah Chek, Ah Sow, Ah Ma, Ah Kong!

Kin jit sio tee Ah Heng......wahahahahah!!!! :offtopic:

Guest ehwwong

just trying to understand a little more... dont get the ball yet.. pai seh.

so for AMG kit, if use the paddle shift mode. let say i come to a complete stop, and i forgot to downshift from D4 to D1... will it "si chia" just like manual car or it will still automatically downshift for me..

PS: NewC180, your ang mo is better than mine.. for sure..

Guest Sareve

so for AMG kit, if use the paddle shift mode. let say i come to a complete stop, and i forgot to downshift from D4 to D1... will it "si chia" just like manual car or it will still automatically downshift for me..

No it will not stall, but essentially, if you set your car to manual mode and drive at d4, it will still downshift for you if you slow down, but it will not display it, basically meaning that you don't have true control over your gears. If you install paddles, you'll just get the same effect except that instead of using the gear level to shift gears, you're now using the paddles. I don't have a merc to test this right now, but why don't you try setting your car to manual mode tomorrow and see what happens?

The difference between what we get on a merc and real paddle shift cars is that you will not have full control over your cars since the car will still automatically upshift at the rev limit. I can't speak for all cars with paddle shift, but from experience, they won't stall if you slow down to a stop in the wrong gear, they'll still auto downshift for you to prevent that from happening.

Guest NewC180

Alamak, should have shown you how it works on my car yesterday lah....

I don't know whether the AMG kit will work the same way as the standard W204 or not.

In the standard W204, it will down shift for you when you slow down, but the display will still show the gear you're previously on, eg, D4. When you come to a complete stop, the gear will go down to 1 or 2, but display still show D4. When you accelerate, it will upshift for you as well. No, it wouldn't 'si chia', unless you super kayu can make it 'si chia', ha ha, just joking!

In my bmw, which I think (think only har) is how the AMG paddleshift should work, once you change to manual it will be completely manual. Eg let say you are now in D4 and you slow down your car to a complete stop, it will downshift for you automatically and the display will show the correct gear accordingly. After you've stop and start to accelerate your car, the car will drag the gear unless you upshift it. If you floor your pedal without upshifting yourself, the car will drag till almost red then it will upshift to the next gear. I've did that to my bmw before, dragging 3rd gear till about 100kmh!

Anyone has the AMG kit with paddleshift here? Maybe can enlighten us here on how it works.

ehwwong, if you wanna meet up and see how it works in my car, pm me. It will be better to see how it works on a AMG kit W204 though.....