• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Airmatic Suspension

mike9956

Hi , good day !

Went to a workshop at Upp Thomson to check on front undercarriage low-level metal-grinding noise. Very likely caused by front airmatic suspension struts. Service Advisor quoted me 1 pair (insist on 1 pair . Otherwise, the other with fail soon after). In addition, he insisted I ought to replace the air-pump and solenoid block valve to ensure 100% no problem with the airmatic system, after the struts replacement.  I would like to seek comments from you guys whether this is the norm or an overkill solution to the grinding-noise issue.

Recently, I noticed that every time I start up the car, the 'car-rising' lamp on the top-right main-display lighted up for about 5 secs and then off. In the past, it was about 2-3 secs.  Unsure if that has anything to do with the air pump or block-valve ?

Appreciate your opinion

Thanks...mike

On 16/04/2019 at 7:29 PM, mike9956 said:

Hi , good day !

Went to a workshop at Upp Thomson to check on front undercarriage low-level metal-grinding noise. Very likely caused by front airmatic suspension struts. Service Advisor quoted me 1 pair (insist on 1 pair . Otherwise, the other with fail soon after). In addition, he insisted I ought to replace the air-pump and solenoid block valve to ensure 100% no problem with the airmatic system, after the struts replacement.  I would like to seek comments from you guys whether this is the norm or an overkill solution to the grinding-noise issue.

Recently, I noticed that every time I start up the car, the 'car-rising' lamp on the top-right main-display lighted up for about 5 secs and then off. In the past, it was about 2-3 secs.  Unsure if that has anything to do with the air pump or block-valve ?

Appreciate your opinion

Thanks...mike

Upper Thomson which workshop?

Find one who really know how to do the proper diagnosis for you!

I also kana the same as you when I go to those so called experience workshop. 

Kns! Ask me to replace all my absorbers & the air compressor too. 

At the end of the day, I only need to replace the compressor Block Valve.

you can go to Trendy Automotives. Look for Uncle Tony to have your car properly diagnose with his licensed Xentry.

Hi, visited Uncle Tony (Trendy Auto) today. He and Ah Teck (1st mechanic) were very meticulous in diagnosing the undercarriage noise. Conducted 3 test run (at driver seat, at passenger seat and at back seat) over uneven road in order to pinpoint the noise. Narrowed down to front left section. Dismantled the lower control arm, thrust arm and stabiliser bar. Inspected the joints and brushes. All found normal. During  re-assembling, they applied  a copper-coloured  coating (appeared like liquid latex) on all the major bolts, screws and brushes as an anti-friction protection (most mechanics can't be bothered with such task).  Eventually, nailed down to the front left suspension struts. He dismantled (very tedious task) the struts. Opened up the dust cover and big-O-rings. Use WD-40 and compressed air to clean up the dirt and oiled the internal rods. From my past experience, no workshop was willing to open up and oiled/clean the strut interior (see attached photo). Most will insist you to buy a new pair (not just the faulty unit) - taking the easy and most profitable way out but burned a big holes in customer's wallet.

Bottom line, instead of paying for  1 pair of new front strut , 1 air  pump and 1 block value for a quote close to $4k by another workshop, I gladfully paid $320 for his team's 5 hrs of workmanship.

Once again, I must thanks member RX7EFFINI for his recommendation. I was tempted to keep good things to myself, as a secret !!!  There again, nowadays we are living in an 'information sharing' society and obliged to share the good. Besides, it is a gem discovering honest and experienced mechanics who doesn't take the easy way out and do take pride in repairing stuff. Why replace where you can repair,,,the strut will now be good for another 25-30kkms.  In our 'disposal-whatever' society, repair has increasingly becomes a dying word

Have a good weekend...cheers...mike

Like they said...happy like a toad. Saved myself a couple of thousands

trendy_check_clean_up_suspenion_strut_7.jpg

• Like 1

On 20/04/2019 at 5:03 PM, mike9956 said:

Hi, visited Uncle Tony (Trendy Auto) today. He and Ah Teck (1st mechanic) were very meticulous in diagnosing the undercarriage noise. Conducted 3 test run (at driver seat, at passenger seat and at back seat) over uneven road in order to pinpoint the noise. Narrowed down to front left section. Dismantled the lower control arm, thrust arm and stabiliser bar. Inspected the joints and brushes. All found normal. During  re-assembling, they applied  a copper-coloured  coating (appeared like liquid latex) on all the major bolts, screws and brushes as an anti-friction protection (most mechanics can't be bothered with such task).  Eventually, nailed down to the front left suspension struts. He dismantled (very tedious task) the struts. Opened up the dust cover and big-O-rings. Use WD-40 and compressed air to clean up the dirt and oiled the internal rods. From my past experience, no workshop was willing to open up and oiled/clean the strut interior (see attached photo). Most will insist you to buy a new pair (not just the faulty unit) - taking the easy and most profitable way out but burned a big holes in customer's wallet.

Bottom line, instead of paying for  1 pair of new front strut , 1 air  pump and 1 block value for a quote close to $4k by another workshop, I gladfully paid $320 for his team's 5 hrs of workmanship.

Once again, I must thanks member RX7EFFINI for his recommendation. I was tempted to keep good things to myself, as a secret !!!  There again, nowadays we are living in an 'information sharing' society and obliged to share the good. Besides, it is a gem discovering honest and experienced mechanics who doesn't take the easy way out and do take pride in repairing stuff. Why replace where you can repair,,,the strut will now be good for another 25-30kkms.  In our 'disposal-whatever' society, repair has increasingly becomes a dying word

Have a good weekend...cheers...mike

Like they said...happy like a toad. Saved myself a couple of thousands

trendy_check_clean_up_suspenion_strut_7.jpg

Good to know your problem solved.

• 1 year later...