• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Nitrogen gas

Guest Cerano

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cklasse

I pumped nitrogen when I changed to new tyres, quiet yes, but it's more of the new tyres, not the gas.

The only good thing about nitrogen is it comes almost dry and so you don't get moisture in your tyres. Nitrogen does not permeate easily through rubber and thus holds the pressure in the tyre longer than air. Don't think it contribute anything to less noise. That's why aircraft tyres are all filled with nitrogen.

Btw, I have pumped air into my tyres now, nitrogen does not make any difference. The only difference is you pay to get it and air is free. So why pay?

Guest Cklasse

The reasons of dry and less permeating through rubber are true and it's standard practice in aviation. However, it is a waste of money for our daily use road cars. Air is good enough unless we are driving F1 cars.

Guest sonnychann

Hi, just to add my two cents worth. The air that we breath itself has 78.1% nitrogen. :clap:

So, if we fill up the tyre with normal air, its already nearly 80% nitrogen.

So, my suggestion would be, if the shop provide for free, get the extra 20%. If not free, just get air pls.

Hi, just to add my two cents worth. The air that we breath itself has 78.1% nitrogen. :clap:

So, my suggestion would be, if the shop provide for free, get the extra 20%. If not free, just get air pls.

Geeze thanks for that useful bit of information! I'm glad I've learnt something new today! :P

Guest east539

and one thing abt Nitrogen is there are grades for purity of N2, the higher the purity is the dryer & cleaner it is, so there is a possibilities the shop that is offering the service might use the lowest purity in order to earn more as the higher the purity, the cost will be higher. but we will never know what grade they are using, unless we demand to see the purity cert from the gas company & i believe not much or none want to ask & have a look at it.

the purity for Nitrogen is from 99.5% to 99.9995% Min.

facts: Nitrogen - N2 - at room temp and atmospheric pressure, nitrogen is a colorless, odorless, nontoxic, nonflammable gas. It constitutes 78% by volume of the atmosphere. Naturally occurring nitrogen contains two isotopes, 14N and 15N. Used as an inert gas in electrical systems, chemical and food packaging industry. Used in the drying and preparation of refrigeration systems.

Guest Titan

Nitrogen gas in tyre can hold the pressure for quite long unlike those normal air. Just pay to top up nitrogen so no need to dirty hands to pump air every other week.

Guest nightfly

The reasons of dry and less permeating through rubber are true and it's standard practice in aviation. However, it is a waste of money for our daily use road cars. Air is good enough unless we are driving F1 cars.

This is true - I was formerly in aviation and the benefits are not significant enough for use in cars - just like those vortex generators some people put on ....

Having said that if it's free no harm but IMHO certainly not worth paying for.

Guest kopimonster

ya...really no point paying...no value add...and used to come across places that offer packages for such services somemore :D i rather visit the petrol kiosk a little bit more often ;D

Guest Cklasse

I carry my own little compressor in the spare tyre well. Just pump the tyres in my basement carpark, don't even need to go petrol kiosk. At least I am sure the tyre is cool to pump if I don't drive it.

I carry my own little compressor in the spare tyre well. Just pump the tyres in my basement carpark, don't even need to go petrol kiosk. At least I am sure the tyre is cool to pump if I don't drive it.

Hehehehehe now I know.. where did you get yours and for how much ?

Guest jameslhm

thanks for the infor