• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Proud new owner of W124 :D

Guest JiaJia

Guest JiaJia

Hello!

I am a new owner of a W124 (93 16V) and a new member in this forum (also a new driver -- slightly more than a year). I have been lurking around the forum for a while already reading all your invaluable inputs and benefitting tremendously from them. Used some of the tips when searching for W124 before finally buying.

The buying process/experience was not something I would want to remember as I was no match against the shrewdness of the car dealer who among many things refused to buge when it comes to the price :'( But maybe I was not poker face enough and showed too much eagerness in getting the car).

I have a few questions and would be most grateful if veteran owners of the legendary and beautiful W124 E200 would be able to give some advise:

1) I would like to send the car for a 1st servicing right after collecting the car -- what are the things to check and service? Any recommendation of competent, honest and not so pricey workshop (bec already burnt big hole in pocket after buying the car, road tax, new 10 yr COE, insurance, etc)? What is the estimated cost for such servicing?

2) Notice a small rust spot (the size of an index finger print) on the under carriage and thus would like to get this repaired and to do a coat of under carriage rust proofing. Again, any recommendation of competent, honest and not so pricey workshop that can do the job?

Not sure if I have considered everything needed to get starter as a new owner of this W124 but I guess that will be all for the moment. Would be grateful for your inputs.

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am also a relatively new 8V owner myself

a fellow member referred me to Nam Sing in AMK autopt

not the rock bottom cheapest... but honest and down to earth.

i also have a few rust spots that need fixing

am thinking of going to another shop that did my Subaru... was pretty happy with their work and service

PM me if you want to do a "group-buy" together.... maybe we can get a good price out of it

send the car in for a full inspection things that are standard to be replaced on a old car are the bushings, tie rod end, centre drag link, check for absorber leak, check rotor and pads and check for oil seal leaks. check steering box for leaks and do the oil change, atf oil change and axle gear oil change

Guest JiaJia

Thanks for the advise received so far.

Mike -- do you have a good workshop that is competent and honest and not so pricey to recommend? Eokh (thanks) recommended Nam Sing at AMK autopt which I am likely to checkout as I stay near AMK also.

Can you give an estimate of the likely 'damage' to my wallet that a full servicing would cost? Sorry, first time owning a W124.

Thanks so much!

Guest JiaJia

Oh forgot to ask -- any reliable (and again not too pricey) towing service to recommend? Afterall, this is a 16 year old grand-dame so just in case of a breakdown, having the contact of towing co. will come in handy -- :D

Thanks again.

Regards.

Oh forgot to ask -- any reliable (and again not too pricey) towing service to recommend? Afterall, this is a 16 year old grand-dame so just in case of a breakdown, having the contact of towing co. will come in handy -- :D

Thanks again.

Regards.

Just join AA. :P

Guest kepiting1sg

Just join AA. :P

:welcome: :welcome: A Warm Welcome to U Jia Jia! :welcome: :welcome:

Hope to see U enjoy your stay here!!! :pray:

I rejoined AA in year 2000.

They have towed my previous W124 twice.

Both times due to failure of my High Output Alternator. :banghead:

They have came to my aid when my previous W203 battery suddenly went kaput. :banghead:

I believe they will also change punctured tire for U too. :apwink:

Free Bi-mthly AA Highway Car Magazine!

Reciprocal car assist from AAM in MY if your car breaks down...touch wood....heheheh! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advise received so far.

Mike -- do you have a good workshop that is competent and honest and not so pricey to recommend? Eokh (thanks) recommended Nam Sing at AMK autopt which I am likely to checkout as I stay near AMK also.

Can you give an estimate of the likely 'damage' to my wallet that a full servicing would cost? Sorry, first time owning a W124.

Thanks so much!

you got PM

not nice to publish cost figures on open space

dont want to spoil market

Guest JiaJia

Hello!

Thanks for the welcome and advise! Ermm ... nice to know that AA also helps change tyres besides providing towing service (how come I got a feeling I have just been 'suan' huh?? ::)

Can't wait to send my grand dame for her first thorough servicing and also for the mechanics to inspect and advise on the condition of the car. Hope my hubby and I have not got too bad a deal from a not so accomodating car dealer. Never felt comfortable with that car dealer but unfortunately already fell 'head-over-heels' in love with that unit (non-facelift and original 93 16v E200) -- sigh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

JiaJia wrote:

Hello!

I am a new owner of a W124 (93 16V) and a new member in this forum (also a new driver -- slightly more than a year). I have been lurking around the forum for a while already reading all your invaluable inputs and benefitting tremendously from them. Used some of the tips when searching for W124 before finally buying.

The buying process/experience was not something I would want to remember as I was no match against the shrewdness of the car dealer who among many things refused to buge when it comes to the price :'( But maybe I was not poker face enough and showed too much eagerness in getting the car).

I have a few questions and would be most grateful if veteran owners of the legendary and beautiful W124 E200 would be able to give some advise

1) I would like to send the car for a 1st servicing right after collecting the car -- what are the things to check and service? Any recommendation of competent, honest and not so pricey workshop (bec already burnt big hole in pocket after buying the car, road tax, new 10 yr COE, insurance, etc)? What is the estimated cost for such servicing?

2) Notice a small rust spot (the size of an index finger print) on the under carriage and thus would like to get this repaired and to do a coat of under carriage rust proofing. Again, any recommendation of competent, honest and not so pricey workshop that can do the job?

Not sure if I have considered everything needed to get starter as a new owner of this W124 but I guess that will be all for the moment. Would be grateful for your inputs.

Thanks!

mind PM me which car dealer you went to?? I got a feeling I oso bot my old SLK from the same dealer.... =X

Old car super a lot of problems... very sian but like the model quite sometimes le... classic to me.