• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Buying & owning my new C180...

Guest echodeltax

Guest echodeltax

I think the new C-180 is the most beautiful car in the world. Buying and owning my new C-180 has overall been a very bad and sad experience for me....

I bought my C-180 about 2 months ago. It was considered really a rush buy cos I bought the car immediately after the test drive, without knowing anything about the C-class and all its functions. My SE said that it was the best price as the coe was at its lowest and also my wifey fell in love with the car instantly.

The overall buying process made me feel "cheapo" cos we had to keep calling our SE about the sales documents etc... cos it was not given to us earlier. And we were also not exactly sure what features and functions were included. She made me feel like owning is a merc is a very classy thingy.

When my new car was delivered, I found that the steering alignment was slightly off to the left. So I went back to adjust the next few days. In the middle of that, we discovered a deep 3 cm long scratched marked on the side-skirt near the front wheel and another one on the bumper. We could not determine exactly if it was done by C&C as we discovered the scratches after we left the service centre. So far (touch wood) no other stone markings were found during the past 2 mths. Is quite bad, the paint has completely come off and even with the touch-up paint also cannot cover-up properly. It keeps peeling off.

Finally, when I felt that the steering alignment was perfect, suddenly I could hear cranking/knocking sound when I turn the steering around 3/4 to full-lock while parking the car. The sound was very soft so I had to go down twice to find and convinced a patient service advisor to listen and pin-point the sound. In the end, they hear the sound and rectified for me. The service advisor is really good and so far no noise (touch wood). But to my dismay my steering alignment is back to day 1, slightly off to the left again!!

Now I really give up fixing the car, cos i worried that the sound may return or my car will suffer more damages!!

I only found this website after buying the car. This is where I discovered lots of things from this website and some bros sharing about their c-class, then I realised that there are so many things that I didnt bargain/request from my SE during the sales process. Or maybe i could have even bought the C200 with parktronic, etc.. chrome exhaust, etc, which i was not aware of. And now less than 2 mths they come up with this Blueefficiency model!!

Buying and owning this car is driving me crazy....But I still wish that my next car is a Mercedes Benz!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kinky74

Hi sir its really sad to hear that but what else can you do but have to stick your car. hey...its not the end.... enjoy your car as not everyone in singapore can own a c180. Well hopefully lesson learn maybe we need to research more for our next car.

Guest angela

bro ur story sounds like the tale of an afra romeo.. but its the experience that counts, if u still come down every morning and u love ur car the moment u see it, den i guess its the correct choice.......

Guest narmi

Bro,

If everyone were born with negotiation skills, the world would be full of rich ppl..

Unfortunately, we have to make mistakes for us to learn..

Dont be too disheartened by your experience, take that in your stride and i'm going to wish your next SE best of luck the next time u purchase a car, or anything else in that regard..

But just a word of advice, you bought your car from C&C and it comes with 3 yrs warranty.

C&C, in my opinion, is used to having obnoxious ppl complain abt every single thing..

So if i were you,go back down, get you allignment fixed, go for a test drive with the service fella, and test if that crankin sound is still there..

IF its there, MAKE SURE they get it sorted out! If its STILL not sorted out, you can ask any of the brothers here to help you out. maybe some of us have very good relationships with the service side, might be able to help you out..

And plus, that scratch that you have, no point pointing any blame to anyone, just ask any brothers here of a good place to get some repair work done, and viola! your car is as good as brand spanking new! I'm pretty sure the paint job is only gonna cost u at most, a couple hundred bucks if its an easy panel.. maybe even less..

Like bro kinky said, get it fixed and enjoy the car man..

Guest Raskie

it quite a frustrating experience esp if think Merc is amongst the top brand here ... what is done cannot be undone ... i suggest go back and ask to talk to a senior service consultant and seek a thorough check for the car. There is no need to bang table and be nasty .. I guess explain to them and they will listen and try their best. I doubt they want undue negative feedback ... if all else fails, I believe you can move to the next higher executive level to get this resolved.

with regards to a newer model coming in, it depends on the SEs .. some are more forthright in providing info while others just want to close sales ... in the long term, these latter SEs do not last very long in this industry.

I guess, just enjoy your ride for now and when the time is right, trade-it in for a new ride .. ^-^

Guest Sareve

bro ur story sounds like the tale of an afra romeo.. but its the experience that counts, if u still come down every morning and u love ur car the moment u see it, den i guess its the correct choice.......

Well said!

I think you're expecting too much, echodeltax. Instead of being angry at how you might have been shafted when buying your car, just drive it hard and enjoy the ride :thumbsup:

I agree it's quite disappointing that they're suddenly coming out with a new model right after you bought your car though. The same thing happened to my dad -_-"

Guest Raskie

about new model coming along ... I guess with the internet, it is not very difficult to read in advance what's available and what's coming up next ...

for instance, I spoke to 2 different SEs when contemplating the W211, one kept telling me how great the car is, the freebies that is staked on the car and working on how he can help work out the $$$

The second SE besides trying to sell me the merits of the car, actually asked me about my car ownership habit and advise me to go for the C-class or wait for the new E. She feels that although this promo is really good, in the long (or short :P ) run, I will actually lose more when selling ...

I do know about the new E-class and have read up quite a fair bit but one SE chose to talk about it while the other did not until I ask.

So it's neither right or wrong .. it's just sales tactics ...

But since Bro Echo has bought the car, try to sort out the problems with a senior Service Consultant, and enjoy the ride till the right time to trade-it in for his next love !

Guest kepiting1sg

Bro,

I believe I know how U feel.

Let Old Lam Humku Ah Pek Unker lor saw abit!

When I bought my W203, it was also very rush.

I had no plan to buy the W203 back then.

It was 1 sunny Sunday in late Jan 2004 - told my wife we go C & C & look at the $10K COE W203 (COE at that time was $20K+)

Just like U, went there, test drive the car and at the same time was mulling over the C200 too.

The F$#kin SE told me that buying the C180 was a better buy and not worth to spend the extra $$ on the C200. :twinmfinger:

Was told it was a promotion, so no options, black - left last car, silver left 2, so better be quick.

Was not offered a good trade in price for my W124. Told them no problem, I will sell it off myself. (actually got $4K+ more from dealer @ Mackenzie)

Signed on the dotted line immediately, got the car in 3 weeks and the F$#king SE asked for an ang pow. Gave him $200.

He even asked me whether if I will share with him the lucky draw prize if I won any during the promotion luck draw. :twinmfinger:

Less than 3 mths. time May 2004, there was the W203 FL which I was not even aware off. (Sounds familar! ;D)

Forum? We started on Delphi Forums

Bro camber53 started 1 - no regular gtg & forum didn't kick off

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Mercedes306/messages/start

Then Bro Keltanky cum along!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sgmercedes/start

GTG was usually a miserable 3 to 4 cars - W124, W123 sometimes a E190.

The fourm didn't really kick off till we have bros g8crasher, Kompressor, millionmilebenz, CKlasse came onboard. My kudos to them!

Also not forgetting the current bunch of wonderful neber say die bros & a sister joining the forum committee board

So now we got this wonderful forum for all of us to share & enjoy. :clap:

Tried souping up the C180 to get the "lost" 20+ bhp - probably got there but not "really happy" abt. it. :2guns:

Looking back, even though the C180 was lacking some of the extras from the C200, it was a really fun car to drive.

I work Mon to Fri in Batam Island and I dun really need a car except for the convenience of it during weekends.

Went with AA for a long drive to Penang & Cameron Highlands & with SGMerc fun drive to Malacca.

I still managed to keep that wonderful car for 5 years & put 55K Km to the odometer.

I've sold it to my younger bro & he too is enjoying it after selling off his 92 W124.

There will always be FLs, new models, etc and will neber end.

This is how the Manufacturers make their money anyway. ;D

Like what all the wise bros said, go & enjoy your ride & look at the finer points of it.

If U have the extras, do what BlackMerc is currently doing.

Do some perf & or non perf. mods now & then and there will be always something new to look forward too.

U luv the looks of your ride rite?

U enjoy driving your ride rite?

Then Live & Let Live!

Enjoy & Rock On Bro! :rockon:

See U at the GTGs or even join the Merc Bros & Sisters gatherings or fun drives.

Have a pleasant week ahead!

Guest echodeltax

Dear Bros,

Thank you for your replies. All your encouraging words and caring support make me feel much better now. :)

Yes, I will take it easy and enjoy my wonderful car and at the same time try to rectify the defects... and also accept that in life nothing is perfect.

With so many of you kind people out there sharing my thoughts and worries, I think this is the best forum on earth!!

Guest NewC180

Dear Bros,

Thank you for your replies. All your encouraging words and caring support make me feel much better now. :)

Yes, I will take it easy and enjoy my wonderful car and at the same time try to rectify the defects... and also accept that in life nothing is perfect.

With so many of you kind people out there sharing my thoughts and worries, I think this is the best forum on earth!!

Bro Echo, don't be so kek sim la. If I tell you what I've been through with my BMW 523 I think you'll faint! My car went in to PML 4 times in 3 months after collecting it new!!!

Things like that happen to new cars once in a while, just get them resolved and after some time the car will somehow settle down.

Be cool and enjoy your new car!

Guest Cklasse

Have you ever do those silly things like

1. Staring at your parked Merc and admiring the curves and shape? I do

2. Deliberately find reasons to drive your Merc? I do

3. Deliberately take the longest route because you enjoy driving your Merc? I do

This is still happening today, after I have put in 147000 km and it's going for the 6th year now.

I still love my W203 although I would like to have the W204.

I went for this W203 (a transition pre-FL model; a pre-FL with post FL engine) although I had read that a FL model will come in 6 months time. ALong the way, the lights were changed to a FL model and such external mods make the car look new.

At the end of the day, if you are in love with your car, you will enjoy driving it, even looking is enjoyable.

Ok, the urge to get out of office to stare at my car is here again. :apwink:

Guest NewC180

3. Deliberately take the longest route because you enjoy driving your Merc? I doThis is still happening today, after I have put in 147000 km and it's going for the 6th year now.

I still love my W203 although I would like to have the W204.

I went for this W203 (a transition pre-FL model; a pre-FL with post FL engine) although I had read that a FL model will come in 6 months time. ALong the way, the lights were changed to a FL model and such external mods make the car look new.

At the end of the day, if you are in love with your car, you will enjoy driving it, even looking is enjoyable.

Ok, the urge to get out of office to stare at my car is here again. :apwink:

Cklasse, I thought I'm the only one that do all these things!!!

Guest holmiumz

NewC180 ]

3. Deliberately take the longest route because you enjoy driving your Merc? I doThis is still happening today, after I have put in 147000 km and it' wrote:

hahaa bro me join you too! I did all these because I love my car! It is not a perfect car but most importantly, I love it!

So bro echotex, please be positive about your car...Every Adversity Has The Seeds For Greater Benefits! If you still cant find ways to stay positive, the only way is to sell ur car hehehe *call me, I can buy from you cheap cheap 8.) 8.) :P :p :P

Guest funng

holmiumz ]

NewC180 ]

3. Deliberately take the longest route because you enjoy driving your Merc? I doThis is still happening today, after I have put in 147000 km and it' wrote:

Cklasse, I thought I' wrote:

hahaa bro me join you too! I did all these because I love my car! It is not a perfect car but most importantly, I love it!

So bro echotex, please be positive about your car...Every Adversity Has The Seeds For Greater Benefits! If you still cant find ways to stay positive, the only way is to sell ur car hehehe *call me, I can buy from you cheap cheap 8.) 8.) :P :p :P

Thats what I do too! everytime before i get into the car, i will look at it and think to myself "wah, still looks like the one in the commercial from this angle"(silver merc)

I find reasons to specially make a trip to the ATM just so i can drive without anyone.

I always drive the "surface" roads when coming back from my gf's house at Still Road, and i live in Clementi.

Merc will always be a merc, the feeling, handling, the comfort. I just drove my gf's Honda CRV(2.4) 2 days ago, excellent car, but just lack that feeling and power i get from my E200k.

I also wish i could have psycho-ed my dad to get 325i coupe, but i really enjoy the ride in the merc, infact, i'm going to make a trip to the east just so i can see my gf for 30 mins, but more importantly, the drive!

Don't fret, perhaps some mods would make you feel better!

Guest angela

I also wish i could have psycho-ed my dad to get 325i coupe, but i really enjoy the ride in the merc, infact, i'm going to make a trip to the east just so i can see my gf for 30 mins, but more importantly, the drive!

becareful what you wish for....

&

becareful what you POST woh!!!!

:devil2: :devil2: :devil2:

Guest skipper

I also had my share of bad experience with my W203 - AC problem. At that time I also wanted to get rid of my car...

To cut a long story short, avoid the Alexandra and Eunos C&C workshops! Thanks to the Pandan Loop workshop I had my whole AC system replaced which the other workshops refused to do so.

My car has been with me for 5 years already. Recently, I just got myself the 325i cabriolet and guess what, I decided to keep my W203 as well as I couldn't bear to part with it... :thumbsup:

I find the C180 more than adequate for Singapore's roads. It can outrun most other cars on the road, and it gets you from point A to point B in style and with ease - I actually find the C180 easier to drive than the 325i in town. So far other than the usual wear and tear stuff, the car is totally problem free. What more can you ask for...

As for styling, I prefer the W203 styling than the W204. Agree with all the other bros here - till today, I still look at my W203 like the 1st day I had the car :clap:

Guest kepiting1sg

Bro NewC180,

I still peek and appreciate the looks of my former W203 each time my younger Bro drove over for dinner!

It was Luv at 1st sight :love7:....that's why I bought it even without any plan after dropping by C & C.

And They Live Happily Ever After!!!!!...... wahahahahah!!!!

Guest NewC180

Batam Cheem ]

NewC180 ]

Bro NewC180,

I still peek and appreciate the looks of my former W203 each time my younger Bro drove over for dinner!

It was Luv at 1st sight :love7:....that' wrote:

And They Live Happily Ever After!!!!!...... [/color]wahahahahah!!!!

Unker, look at your W203 macham like meet ex-gf har? Thinking of whether can have a ONS for old time sake har? HA HA HA.....

This happens to my previous BMW E39 and E46. I also can't stop looking at them whenever I see them on the road, especially the E39, I really missed it a lot. It is such a great car, and driving it is much more enjoyable than the new E60.

Guest holmiumz

funng ]

holmiumz ]

Thats what I do too! everytime before i get into the car, i will look at it and think to myself "wah, still looks like the one in the commercial from this angle"(silver merc)

I find reasons to specially make a trip to the ATM just so i can drive without anyone.

I always drive the "surface" roads when coming back from my gf's house at Still Road, and i live in Clementi.

Merc will always be a merc, the feeling, handling, the comfort. I just drove my gf's Honda CRV(2.4) 2 days ago, excellent car, but just lack that feeling and power i get from my E200k.

Don't fret, perhaps some mods would make you feel better!

wah bro! guess your gf must as chio as your avatar ah :P :p :P :p :P

Guest tategoi

I read from another forum that C200K will be de-commissioned soon, and replaced by the new C250CGI.

Features:

Still 1.8 litre sized engine like c200k

Twin exhaust instead of the c200k single exhaust

Turbo instead of the c200k compressor

HIGHER POWER AND LOWER FUEL EMMISSIONS compared to C200k

New Direct injection technology

Newer Euro 5 certificate of conformity (instead of c200k Euro 4)

Engine power of 150KW instead of the c200k 135K. This means over 200 horse power.

Guest funng

I read from another forum that C200K will be de-commissioned soon, and replaced by the new C250CGI.

Features:

Still 1.8 litre sized engine like c200k

Twin exhaust instead of the c200k single exhaust

Turbo instead of the c200k compressor

HIGHER POWER AND LOWER FUEL EMMISSIONS compared to C200k

New Direct injection technology

Newer Euro 5 certificate of conformity (instead of c200k Euro 4)

Engine power of 150KW instead of the c200k 135K. This means over 200 horse power.

over 200 bhp from a 1.8l engine? mercedes engineers sure know their stuff, next series are like Evos already la. 2.0l squeezing out 300bhp? hahaha

Guest funng

wah bro! guess your gf must as chio as your avatar ah :P :p :P :p :P

bro! :offtopic: but i wish also la! hahaha. but then, there's no perfection in this world. the girl in the avatar is perfection on the outside! hahaha. :offtopic:

i just enjoy the drive to her place. AYE=> ECP (faster drive) then come back through geylang road => town => clementi (enjoy the merc drive)!