• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C180 Kompressor or C180 Kompressor BlueEfficiency

Guest cyanming

Guest Sareve

what exactly does bro sillywilly means?

1.6L can nv be the same as 1.8L?

that is correct.

you can tune, chip up, turbo charge, supercharge a 1.6L engine to produce an equal amount of power & torque as a 1.8 engine. but when u rev it, there will be a difference that you can distinctly feel. it wont rev as nicely etc.

its like a scrawny athlete taking drugs to temporary boost himself to complete with a more muscular one.. they may run the same, but one is definitely pushing harder than the other, it may not be good in the long run.

im not saying that supercharging / turbocharging is bad, i love to drive my C180 cuz of the kompressor, it gives me more kick than my NA car.

Haha the example I had in mind was more like the Ariel Atom's little supercharged 2L engine will EAT YOUR LAMBO FOR BREAKFAST AND YOUR SCUDERIA FOR LUNCH. But sound wise, I agree, there's no replacement for displacement. The unearthly wail of a V12 is just downright AMAZING!!

So... wanna give me your lambo and scuderia willy? :) I'll trade you a cute little ariel atom :thumbsup:

Seriously though, sound aside, I really don't see any difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 litre engine if they're both producing the same HP and Torque.

Guest funng

what exactly does bro sillywilly means?

1.6L can nv be the same as 1.8L?

that is correct.

you can tune, chip up, turbo charge, supercharge a 1.6L engine to produce an equal amount of power & torque as a 1.8 engine. but when u rev it, there will be a difference that you can distinctly feel. it wont rev as nicely etc.

its like a scrawny athlete taking drugs to temporary boost himself to complete with a more muscular one.. they may run the same, but one is definitely pushing harder than the other, it may not be good in the long run.

im not saying that supercharging / turbocharging is bad, i love to drive my C180 cuz of the kompressor, it gives me more kick than my NA car.

Haha the example I had in mind was more like the Ariel Atom's little supercharged 2L engine will EAT YOUR LAMBO FOR BREAKFAST AND YOUR SCUDERIA FOR LUNCH. But sound wise, I agree, there's no replacement for displacement. The unearthly wail of a V12 is just downright AMAZING!!

So... wanna give me your lambo and scuderia willy? :) I'll trade you a cute little ariel atom :thumbsup:

Seriously though, sound aside, I really don't see any difference between a 1.6 and a 1.8 litre engine if they're both producing the same HP and Torque.

well, speaking of V12 sounds, daniel will know the best right? 599 sure sounds beyond amazing! i'm waiting for the taxi ride, daniel?\

i also dont see difference between the 1.6 and 1.8l. i'm pretty sure Merc engineers have a way to make it sound Mercedes-like?

1.8L can have bassy sounds also. JUN? hahaa.

Guest angela

sorry bro, i no car to exchange with u... maybe next time when i own my own?

and even if i had either of those 2 magic machines... the answer will still be a downright no even if u offered me 10 AAs per piece. i choose power & luxury ah... not a nakked machine... kekekekke

Guest angela

Sareve ]

Seriously though, sound aside, I really don' wrote:

funng ]

i also dont see difference between the 1.6 and 1.8l. i' wrote:

to answer both your questions, please refer to:-

As for the C180K BE in SG, it is a 1.6L in-line 4 16V engine with the bhp of 156 and torque of 230Nm which is the same as the current C180K. The difference in technical date actually actually is the max torque range which for the C180K is from 2500rpm but the C180K BE is from 3000rpm.

As for the test drive car in C&C, I have a feeling that it is abit more vocal partly because the car has not been run in yet. The mileage on the car less than 1000 kms. The power feels almost the same, less the accleration "pull" when I acclerate from standstill.

many kompressor engine users swear by the fact that its the low pushing power of the kompressor that makes the car a more fun drive, 9339, sy, funng, sgn6888j, back me up... the moment u move that max torque another 500revs higher, u instantly loose the low boost... that makes the 1.6 supercharged no more fun to drive..

even if MB managed to bring back that "mercedes engine" noise, would u still feel pleasure in reving ur ride to a minimum of 3000rpms at each gear shift to achieve the fun that a normal C180K would give at 2500 or lesser? consider that its $2k cheaper for more fun..

Guest funng

actually you got a point there willy, the low bellowing sound and the pull does come in for me at around 2500rpm. but then, possibilities of the 1.6l reaching max torque at 3000rpm, makes you PLANT your right foot on the pedal EVERYTIME to hear the kompressor whine!!! hahaha.

But makes perfect sense that the low boost is lost, but i would guess they have some way to compensate the low boost? surely they must have though about it before having the audacity to use a 1.6l engine to power a C class. lets face it, a c180k, with 156bhp, would not be a car you will push to the limits.

but perhaps the whole idea is really to be as environmentally friendly as possible, with global warming and govts trying to do something about it before they get lose trade as a result of not being environmentally friendly, depleting fossil fuels, etc etc. (i just completed an assignment on being a GREEN CITY). being environmentally friendly is the next hottest topic!

maybe mercedes is really trying to jump on the ship where people who can afford an Merc/AMG, but rather be environmentally and drive a fuel efficient car as power and accleration is not always necessary in urban areas (eg. singapore), therefore, these people who can also drive a ferrari besides an AMG, but dun like the comforts of a hybrid toyota, can get the C180BE to feel the luxury instead.

it is highly possible in city driving, you will hardly get pass 60km/h with increasing traffic, perhaps puttiing the max torque to 3000rpm would reduce the fuel consumption as we dun need max torque to reach 60km/h? i.e. driving in highest gear possible, without maximising full torque would save fuel right? please correct me if i'm wrong. i haven been reading automobiles stuff recently. 8.)

Guest Sareve

Haha funng, I'll give you a taxi ride when I'm back in June, maybe June meetup.

I think the fact that the max torque range is higher makes it more fun but less convenient to drive. The C180 will give you greater acceleration at lower rpm, this means that you don't have to step hard, your engine will always be quiet, and is generally more conducive to driving in adverse traffic conditions when you need the power earlier. Higher torque range means you can REV IT HARDER and hear the engine roar but still continue to drive within the speed limit. It's all a question of driving style. Personally, I only shift at above 4k rpm when driving normally and I'd drag my car all the way to redline all the time if possible.

On a slightly unrelated note, do any auto cars blip the throttle on downshifts for smoother and more exciting gear changes?

Guest funnypanda

Hi all,

i am also new to this forum.

I believe the reason of the Germans to come up with a model that is 1.6L and call it BE. they must have their reasons. As for SGP, our government calculate vehicle tax by engine size and car type for insurance. In Europe, their taxes are calculated by exhaust emission. Hence with a blue car, exhaust emission is a lot lesser and cheaper to draw ppl into buying a merc. Especially, for new drivers who have just passed their driving. Parents will love to buy such stuff for their kids in Euro.

Guest cyanming

Dear all,

My mum confirmed the C180 1.8l model.

All the people she asked told her the same thing..just get the 1.8l.

Once again, thank you all so much for the feedbacks and comments.

Hope to see you guys soon during the April meet up. :bboyspin:

Guest cyanming

bro cyanming

did u test drive both the 1.6 and 1.8 models?

any difference?

Hi Bro scs88,

I haven got a chance to do so..too busy with work.

Anyway, Din managed to get the coe today so have to wait for another 2 weeks. So maybe go down test test this wkends

SE also told us that C180 1.8l left 2 units. After which all the C180 will be BE models already.

Guest cyanming

ic..

as i mentioned previously, the 1.6L is slightly more noisy and a little underpowered

wat color did your mother booked?

Eh..i duno the actual colour code. The colour look like dark metallic grey to me.

Will still go down to test drive and will take note of the points u mentioned. :)