• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C180 Kompressor or C180 Kompressor BlueEfficiency

Guest cyanming

Guest cyanming

Hi all,

I am new here..

Went to Alexandra to view C180 and was told by SE that the current C180 left only 7 units.

If i dun buy now, the next breed of C180 is 1.6l, know as C180 BlueEfficiency and it will cost $2k more.

I did not get to test drive the C180 BlueEfficiency that day but was told by SE that it is less powerful compared to the 1.8l model.

I read the specs and the power and Acceleration for both model is the same.

Wonder if anyone can comment on which model is a better choice?

Guest echodeltax

Hi all,

I am new here..

Went to Alexandra to view C180 and was told by SE that the current C180 left only 7 units.

If i dun buy now, the next breed of C180 is 1.6CC, know as C180 BlueEfficiency and it will cost $2k more.

I did not get to test drive the C180 BlueEfficiency that day but was told by SE that it is less powerful compared to the 1.8cc model.

Wow!! BlueEfficiency is good!! I should have waited!!

Guest funng

Hi all,

I am new here..

If i dun buy now, the next breed of C180 is 1.6CC, know as C180 BlueEfficiency and it will cost $2k more.

I did not get to test drive the C180 BlueEfficiency that day but was told by SE that it is less powerful compared to the 1.8cc model.

i would think there's no difference since the HP and 0-100 is the same, onyl diff is the 1.6cc and 1.8cc right?

i guess just how MB managed to squeeze the same number of horses out from 1.6cc. maybe the SE just trying to clear stock since the blueEfficiency coming in?

Guest echodeltax

1.6cc can use cat A cheaper COE some more!! and can save on road tax too!

I regretted not getting the C200 cos of better specs... Now I regret more knowing that I missed out on the Blueefficiency!!!

Buying my new C180 less than 2 mths ago has been a very sad and bad experience for me since....

Guest cyanming

Hi all,

I am new here..

i would think there's no difference since the HP and 0-100 is the same, onyl diff is the 1.6cc and 1.8cc right?

i guess just how MB managed to squeeze the same number of horses out from 1.6cc. maybe the SE just trying to clear stock since the blueEfficiency coming in?

that is my main concern too as the SE is quite pushy on the current C180.

I am thinking if anyone here had test drive the BlueEfficiency before?

Guest scs88

i personally testdrove both the c180 and the blue efficiency model.

i think that the 1.6L engine is slightly nosier.. ie, i think to achieve the same acceleration, more rpm is needed..

personally, i feel tt if u wana get a mercz u should get a 1.8L engine.. 1.6L sounds like a jap car? thats just my personal opinion. yes its blue efficiency, but surely the power would be compromised if the engine is of a lower CC..

A 1.6l Mercz just sounds weird.. road tax savings is insignificant.. prob ard 100 plus per year??

FC should improve from 10KM/L to 12KM/L

Guest cyanming

i personally testdrove both the c180 and the blue efficiency model.

i think that the 1.6L engine is slightly nosier.. ie, i think to achieve the same acceleration, more rpm is needed..

personally, i feel tt if u wana get a mercz u should get a 1.8L engine.. 1.6L sounds like a jap car? thats just my personal opinion. yes its blue efficiency, but surely the power would be compromised if the engine is of a lower CC..

A 1.6l Mercz just sounds weird.. road tax savings is insignificant.. prob ard 100 plus per year??

FC should improve from 10KM/L to 12KM/L

Thank you so much for the info. :)

will be going down to test drive the 1.6L in this 1 or 2 days.

Will take note of what you had said.

Guest Raskie

the blue efficiency is able to produce the same as 1.8 because of the engine construction and material used to bring the total weight down ...

also the blue efficiency is required to meet Europe very strict emission requirements ...

there is even the new E350 blue efficiency producing close to 300bhp ...

Guest TuMMyBeaR

The BlueEfficiency is actually an entire system which is incorporated into the Mercedes-Benz vehicles of today.

What it encompasses are: a more fuel efficient, lower carbon emissions, via a series of improvements in the cars for eg; weight reduction of the chassis without compromising on safety, better drag co-efficient, energy-saving tyres (currently on Michelins) amongst others.

All these is to just make the car more enviromentally friendly. As for what models will be classified as BlueEfficiency, it is generally the more mass market models. As for the C-Class, only the C180K will be a BE vehicle. The rest of the engine variants will not be.

As for the C180K BE in SG, it is a 1.6L in-line 4 16V engine with the bhp of 156 and torque of 230Nm which is the same as the current C180K. The difference in technical date actually actually is the max torque range which for the C180K is from 2500rpm but the C180K BE is from 3000rpm.

As for the test drive car in C&C, I have a feeling that it is abit more vocal partly because the car has not been run in yet. The mileage on the car less than 1000 kms. The power feels almost the same, less the accleration "pull" when I acclerate from standstill.

Cheers,

TuMMyBeaR

Guest NewC180

From the carmagazineuk link, the Blueefficiency C180K is supposed to come with lowered suspension, lighter rims, better tyres etc etc...

Seems like a good deal to me for being more fuel efficient with almost the same power.

On the other hand, with the max torque reached at a higher rpm, does that mean that you'll have to step harder to achieve the same torque, and hence increasing the fuel consumption???

IMHO, resale value for the BE will be better than the standard C180 a few years down the road.

Guest TuMMyBeaR

From the carmagazineuk link, the Blueefficiency C180K is supposed to come with lowered suspension, lighter rims, better tyres etc etc...

Seems like a good deal to me for being more fuel efficient with almost the same power.

On the other hand, with the max torque reached at a higher rpm, does that mean that you'll have to step harder to achieve the same torque, and hence increasing the fuel consumption???

IMHO, resale value for the BE will be better than the standard C180 a few years down the road.

Yes, but for certain specs, it may not apply here in SG like the rims etc. Because the lighten rims are for the 16" Classic ones, which at C&C, its the 17" Advantgarde rims. As for the tyres, as mentioned only Michelins has the tyres now. They may or may not come to SG as currently mainly for EU market.

As for stepping harder, that seems to be true too. But its still early days to find out now. The FC from factory for the BE C180K states about 15kms/L! But thats for the manual gearbox. Auto boxes should be slightly higher, but overall I'm sure the FC should be slightly better than the current C180K plus the savings from the roadtax, it seems very interesting.

One thing I realised about car owners in SG, we have not reached that level of "maturity" whereby going green is above everything else. Power, Luxury & Prestige is still something most of us will consider 1st. So as for the resale, its difficult to say now considering the price of the BE C180K is $2k more than the C180K.

Guest Sareve

TuMMyBeaR ]

On the other hand, with the max torque reached at a higher rpm, does that mean that you' wrote:

One thing I realised about car owners in SG, we have not reached that level of "maturity" whereby going green is above everything else. Power, Luxury & Prestige is still something most of us will consider 1st. So as for the resale, its difficult to say now considering the price of the BE C180K is $2k more than the C180K.

I hardly think going green is a sign of "maturity". If you wanna be a tree-hugging freak, don't drive. Anyone who thinks they're saving the environment by driving a "green" car is just a hypocrite.

Guest scs88

theres no such thing as maturity by being more receptive to 'going green'.

in my personal opinion, singaporeans have the perception that conti cars should have high CC, and by going for a 1.6L engine, doesnt that seems like a jap car? no one can accurately predict the resale value, but i would think that if u are looking for a 2nd hand Mercz, most pple would want a 1.8L engine rather than a 1.6L.

it may sound shallow, but if pple ask u wats the engine of your mercz and u say' 1.6L, pple will straight away think oh y is it 1.6l??

just doesnt sound right..

and the fact tt the blue efficiency model saves fuel by a number of different factors, and not all the conditions are available for our sg blue efficiency model, we might not be able to save much fuel..

but ulitmately, its still up to personal choice, and theres no right and no wrong, just which one u prefer and like..

Guest Sareve

theres no such thing as maturity by being more receptive to 'going green'.

in my personal opinion, singaporeans have the perception that conti cars should have high CC, and by going for a 1.6L engine, doesnt that seems like a jap car? no one can accurately predict the resale value, but i would think that if u are looking for a 2nd hand Mercz, most pple would want a 1.8L engine rather than a 1.6L.

it may sound shallow, but if pple ask u wats the engine of your mercz and u say' 1.6L, pple will straight away think oh y is it 1.6l??

just doesnt sound right..

and the fact tt the blue efficiency model saves fuel by a number of different factors, and not all the conditions are available for our sg blue efficiency model, we might not be able to save much fuel..

but ulitmately, its still up to personal choice, and theres no right and no wrong, just which one u prefer and like..

I agree, I think it's ridiculous that people seem to judge cars by their engine displacements. They obviously know nothing about other factors that affect HP and Torque such as power to weight ratio, how tuned up the engine is, forced induction etc. Honestly, I see no difference between 1.6L and 1.8L as long as BHP and Torque are the same.

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Actually, what I mean by maturity means that we are not the sort that will buy cars just because they are green vehicles. I believe SGreans buy such cars because of the fuel savings rather than saving the world.... :punk1:

Personally, I prefer the 1.8L.... perphaps I'm biased since I'm driving one too.... Hee hee.... :afro:

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Sareve ]

theres no such thing as maturity by being more receptive to ' wrote:

I agree, I think it's ridiculous that people seem to judge cars by their engine displacements. They obviously know nothing about other factors that affect HP and Torque such as power to weight ratio, how tuned up the engine is, forced induction etc. Honestly, I see no difference between 1.6L and 1.8L as long as BHP and Torque are the same.

Agreed.... At the end of the day, go with what you like and not what people like.

Guest holmiumz

tats absolutely correct! buy something you love because you going to stick with it for years! Personally, once decided dun look back! there will be always better car, model, higher tech, etc coming out in future. So never ending chasing game.

Guest TuMMyBeaR

Yes, just like when I was deciding the C180K, for 14k more can get the C200K. But if I wanted the V6, the C230 seems to be the best bet. But for a bit more, I could get the C280 which has intelligent light system, advance agility standard. For then, I might as well go for the C350! Everything have! Hahahaha..... ever ending story.... :D

Guest cyanming

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the replies.

Actually, this car is meant for my mum. Her current ride is toyota camry which is reaching 5yrs old soon.

Had already paid deposit for the C180 1.8l but i am the one who is looking at the 1.6l.

Maybe i over sensitive cause the SE seem to be quite pushy so i wanted to understand these 2 models better. :ninja:

Appreciate on all the details, infomations and personal views. :clap:

I will be going down to test drive the 1.6l either tonite or tomorrow to sum up everything. :bboyspin:

By the way,

SE is throwing in these few stuff:

1. Reverse Camera

2. Reverse Sensors

3. Solar Films

4. 3M mats

Wonder if there is anything i can squeeze out.. :tongue1:

Guest angela

2008-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-3.jpg

ag_08c63amg_engine.jpg

in my honest-2centsworth-personal-opinion....

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT

FOR DISPLACEMENT,

except when it comes to :1mfinger: fuel consumption :1mfinger:.....

Guest blackmercs

sillywilly ]

I agree, I think it' wrote:

I see no difference between 1.6L and 1.8L[/u] as long as BHP and Torque are the same.

2008-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-3.jpg

ag_08c63amg_engine.jpg

in my honest-2centsworth-personal-opinion....

THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT

FOR DISPLACEMENT,

except when it comes to :1mfinger: fuel consumption :1mfinger:.....

Hear hear!!!

Guest angela

what exactly does bro sillywilly means?

1.6L can nv be the same as 1.8L?

that is correct.

you can tune, chip up, turbo charge, supercharge a 1.6L engine to produce an equal amount of power & torque as a 1.8 engine. but when u rev it, there will be a difference that you can distinctly feel. it wont rev as nicely etc.

its like a scrawny athlete taking drugs to temporary boost himself to complete with a more muscular one.. they may run the same, but one is definitely pushing harder than the other, it may not be good in the long run.

im not saying that supercharging / turbocharging is bad, i love to drive my C180 cuz of the kompressor, it gives me more kick than my NA car.