• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Monoblocks...

Looking for 2 ohm stable sweet monoblock amp. Any recommendations ? Missed out on an A6 recently.. to slow to decide. ???

Looking to drive a 12" DVC.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mekenics

bro, i think u are tokin bout the post on delphi. got me hands on them! ;)

thinkin of gettin the A3 as well.

u might wanna look at the audison VRX series.

ahahahaha bro you fast fast fast on the draw or wat!! good score man!!

looking on ebay earlier, xtant 1001d looks interesting 2 ohm 1000w conservative

so far haven't see any good deals on VRX series leh

also looking out for new headunit, speakers.. cham lah.. better plan swee swee clear my old stuff first

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kepiting1sg

Didn't know that have sweet monoblocks to drive subs! ???

3 months back I sold my 2002 RF bd1500.1 for S$600.

That amp I previously bought from NG for S$2k.

The RF birth cert that came with the amp recorded the amp was tested

with an output result of > 1500WRMS @ 2 ohm. :D

Here a picture of the 2 durians with a total output of

3000WRMS @ 2 ohm connected together by a RF link.

No decent car alternator will able to drive it. ;D ;D ;D

160357_11_full.jpg

Soli forget to add in "sweet looking sweet power" monoblock ;)

Old school amps always so underrated then come out cert one big figure!! Nowadays with cost cutting, company mergers etc the already few quality amp manufacturers have been reduced even more. I guess sometimes it might pay to run the sub off a PPI Art series instead or the older RFs! :-[

Look at the xtant brand now.. after coming under the banner of Mitek Corp, overall product quality is down, amps selling for sh*thouse prices tsk tsk damn sad case

Guest kepiting1sg

Soli forget to add in "sweet looking sweet power" monoblock ;)

Old school amps always so underrated then come out cert one big figure!! Nowadays with cost cutting, company mergers etc the already few quality amp manufacturers have been reduced even more. I guess sometimes it might pay to run the sub off a PPI Art series instead or the older RFs! :-[

Look at the xtant brand now.. after coming under the banner of Mitek Corp, overall product quality is down, amps selling for sh*thouse prices tsk tsk damn sad case

hehehehe!!! It's sad to see merger like a/d/s & ppi into Directed Electronics INc.

Lots of amps are now "Designed in the States, Europe" and make in the Far East. :( :( :(

IMHO,

The old RF power rating & bird cert was neber how siao.

They were tested and signed by the employee who conducted the test.

It was solid raw power! ;D ;D ;D

I had 5 RF amps bought from NG under local RF agent Pro Ice

and they were all sold without problem to very happy owners.

2 pcs. 2000 RF bd1000.1 1 pc. 2000 RF Power800a2 and 2 pcs.

2002 RF bd1500.1

U wan Art Series arh???.....wahahhaha! ;D ;D ;D

I do lup PPI amps becos they are regulated amps meaning they deliver constant output throughout the normal voltage range.

I do have a PPI Art series A300 in my cupboard and sitting side by side with an old school PPI PC4800 in chrome. I have also abandoned a PC21400 in chrome @ agent Ban Leong due to a faulty chip.

To run a PPI PC21400 you can kiss goodbye to running any other amp in your ICE cos the power draw is real scary when U turn up the volume.

PPI A300 Specs.?

2 x 75W @ 4 ohms

2 x 150W @ 2 ohms

1 x 300W @ 4 ohms bridge

40A Fuse Rating

Manufactured in 1993-1995

PC4800.2 Specs.

100 WRMS x 4 @ 4W per channel

200 WRMS x 4 @ 2W per channel

400 WRMS x 2 @ 4W bridged

80A Fuse Rating

PC21400 Specs.

350W x 2 at 4 Ohms--

700W x 2 at 2 Ohms--

1400W x 1 @ 4 ohm

160A Fuse Rating

Length of Amp 2 ft 1"

For blasting & not SQ listening, it's all about cone surface area and raw power. ;D ;D ;D

Cartoon of NG & me planned this monster running 5300WRMS with an

External Regulated High Output Alternator @ 225 Ampere. It used to rock Yishun Dam from Sats Midnite to the wee hours of the morning. ;D

2 RF bd1500.1 = 2 x 1500WRMS = 3000WRMS

1 PPI PC21400 = 1 x 1500WRMS

2 McIntosh MC431M = 2 x 200WRMS + 4 x 100WRMS = 800WRMS

Total Output = 5.3 KWRMS ;D

The 2 McIntosh Amps meter.gif

160357_15_full.jpg

BTW Even the 225 Ampere was still not solid to run the 5 amps.

This was evident from the premature failure of at least 2 of these alternators.

NG Cartoon's former Vito used to run 2 High Output Alternators > 400 Ampere

160357_43_full.jpg

PC21400 Specs.

350W x 2 at 4 Ohms

700W x 2 at 2 Ohms

1400W x 1 @ 4 ohm--------------> Control and Power!!

160A Fuse Rating -----------------> OMG

Length of Amp 2 ft 1" ------------> OMG No boot space

Sheesh man.. extra external alternator also useless when running this mother. I cannot imagine lah becoz other pple put a few extra batts in the boot with Alumapro large caps etc I already in state of unbelief let alone EXTERNAL REGULATED HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR. :P :P

Guest Winningeleven

Hi dial911,

Will u be going down to audioedge to install the amp, i be there the whole day on wed to install my mids and dvd changer, if going than maybe we can have coffee together. ;D

Guest Winningeleven

haha.... actually u have to go down personally to find out their price,they can't give u a gd price over the phone.Base on my personally opinion, they are very flexible on their pricing, they may look like a high end audioshop but their pricing is actually very reasonable.

I've been their regular customer, since they start their bus. 2 years ago.

They are also the local agent for focal, so i thought u be going there to install ur focal stuff, they r 1 of the fews who give warranty for speaker, for most of the brand they carry.

I have nothing to do with AE, just a sastify customer of them.

tks for the info man! I've actually been past audioedge quite a few times but have yet to step in. who should I look for when gng there ?

very very gian the FP 1.800 hehehe

Guest Winningeleven

yo bro,

U can look for Er, he is the one tunning the system for us. If he not around look for huat.

I will be there the whole day tomorrow, if u happen to pass by can drop by and say Hi, at the same time check out their pricing.

hey bro, popped into audioedge today coz was in the area. went into the showroom to steal a few looks and see so many types of candy leh!! hertz ribbon tweeters were interesting.

didn't manage to speak to anyone coz they were scurrying around trying to finish up some cars. will go down again in my own veh to they can have a look and give me a proper quote.

don't mind if I use your recommendation as a reference ya!

tks once again

Guest Winningeleven

Yo bro, no problem juz tell them u r bernard's frd, the one driving w210 kompressor, Haha...

Anyway ill be there 2morrow from 3pm- 7 pm for my tunning.

Hope to see u there....

Cheers

Guest Winningeleven

Hi anyone can advise !

I'm thinking of changing my amp to full focal setup, do u think its better to buy 1 focal FP 5.500 5 channel amp to drive my BE mids and TN52 tweeter and another FP 2.75 to drive my K2p upgrade midbass , or buy the FP 4.754 + FP 2.75 to drive my 3 way than use back my kicker amp to drive my sub?

BTW also thinking of audison VRX 6.420, but heard from alot of people that the audison can't be compare to the Focal. My frd just change his full audison vrx setup to focal amp and he say the sound is much better.

Pls help..............

Yo bro, I was quite hot for the Focal FP1.800 but I did more research on it and don't quite like the fact that it is now made in china. Not a snob or anything like that but sometimes build quality issues really bug me.

There is one selling on ebay now - a used 1.800 and the amp cover has suffered "chips" on the edge. For a relatively new amplifier that looks pretty solid to suffer something like that is of concern!

I do hope their really expensive dual mono is made in france but I wouldn't bet on it.

Guest Winningeleven

Huh!! made in china????

Sian already....... but i thought focal line up only the access series made in china, the rest all made in france.

Think must go do some research b4 i commit.

Anyway what do u think of the audison vrx 6 channel amp?

Apologize for the misinformation. Focal's amplifier prototypes were designed and built in France but production is currently in Korea not in China.

Apparently the move was to ensure costs were kept low so the RRP won't be too expensive. Online is about US$450 for the FP1.800 Class D mono. Works out to just under S$900 including shipping but no warranty.

I don't know enough about Audison to comment on their amps other than the fact their high end range is still made in italy. :( VRx is basically top of the line stuff save for the Thesis amp which is premium top range stuff at around US$3k+

Guest Winningeleven

Hi bro, heard a few of my frd saying that the audision amp even their top of the range chrome shadow also lose out in SQ compare to the focal. 1 of my frd using full audision chrome shadow running 2 way active using focal BE series, sold his 2 mths old audison Chrome shadow and change to full focal amp after he listen to another's frd focal amp + BE setup. Maybe the BE component must match with focal amp, but my next upgrade after the amp gonna be full BE 3 way, really love the sound of the BE. I think the BE series is 1 of the highest range in car audio, made in france by -JMlab. Especially the Pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter. Trusts me go and listen to a full BE setup and i think u can forget about all other speaker, Haha...

http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/Utopia%20Be%20series/Utopia%20Be%20press%20release.pdf

Btw i might want to sell off my less than 1 mth old K2p upgrade for the full BE. I think i've been poison by all my frd using BE liao, keep spending $ on my ICE. If u want to audit a full Be setup can join us next time when we come out for coffee, usually around 6pm after work we will meet at AE for coffee.

1 Audison VRX 6 channel around the same price as Focal 2 + another 4 channel amp. So i think my mind more set towards focal , because next time resale should be better as i can sell both amp seperately.

Anyway b4 i confrim on the focal amp, i'm still open to all advise on amp, budget around 3k to max 4k for the amp. I might also buy the focal FP 5.500 and FP 2.150, than i can use the 4x75 watts on the FP 5.500 to drive my high mids and tweeter, the remaining monoblock channel drive SW, than use the 2x150 watts on the FP 2.150 to drive the midbass.

What do you guys think? Come on uncle kepiting join in our discussion and give some advise leh!!!

Guest kepiting1sg

Winningeleven ]

Hi bro, heard a few of my frd saying that the audision amp even their top of the range chrome shadow also lose out in SQ compare to the focal. 1 of my frd using full audision chrome shadow running 2 way active using focal BE series, sold his 2 mths old audison Chrome shadow and change to full focal amp after he listen to another' wrote:

http://www.focalaustralia.com.au/Utopia%20Be%20series/Utopia%20Be%20press%20release.pdf[/url]

Btw i might want to sell off my less than 1 mth old K2p upgrade for the full BE. I think i've been poison by all my frd using BE liao, keep spending $ on my ICE. If u want to audit a full Be setup can join us next time when we come out for coffee, usually around 6pm after work we will meet at AE for coffee.

1 Audison VRX 6 channel around the same price as Focal 2 + another 4 channel amp. So i think my mind more set towards focal , because next time resale should be better as i can sell both amp seperately.

Anyway b4 i confrim on the focal amp, i'm still open to all advise on amp, budget around 3k to max 4k for the amp. I might also buy the focal FP 5.500 and FP 2.150, than i can use the 4x75 watts on the FP 5.500 to drive my high mids and tweeter, the remaining monoblock channel drive SW, than use the 2x150 watts on the FP 2.150 to drive the midbass.

What do you guys think? Come on uncle kepiting join in our discussion and give some advise leh!!!

Ahem!!!! ;D

I earlier asked U to have the BE tweets, U say U dun wanna to spend.

Now U kenna poison deep deep, no medicine can cure,

there's no turning back now! Mati liao! ......wahahahahaha!

IMHLHKO,

Dun spend too much money on amps!

Good to look at & impress!

Speakers gip U much more mileage than amps.

More so for amp driving sub/subs.

Now U say that BE is best!

Wait someone say U go & listen to the Alpine F1 HU/Processor

Wait someone say go & hear the Rainbow Reference!

Wait someone say go for Sinfoni amps.

Then U kar por luan chow chow!!!!!

The road to ICE nirvana is neber ending!

Amithaba!!!!!!

Join me at the Bodhi tree for some meditations to seek ICE enlightenment!

"If the Bass drowns out the Mids & Highs and you like it, then U are a "BASSHEAD"

"If U like extended low Hz response @ High Sound Pressure Level,

U will be in for an exciting & enjoyable ride"

"If you do not like Bass and are uncomfortable with Bass or you do not wish

to explore the boundaries of your audio system, then leave now before the exits are sealed."

"So fastened your seat belt & get ready to take off!"

Guest Winningeleven

Haha uncle indeed kena poison very deep liao, but so far hear quite alot of diff speaker, still find the BE is 1 of the best out there, especially the BE tweeter.

Focal is the only 1 in the WORLD out there to made this Pure Beryllium inverted dome tweeter.

The sound of this tws sound very diff from other tws, just dunno how to describe the sound.

I saw someone selling his k2p upgrade few days ago, his was 7 mths old local set, and he asking $950, later sold it for $900, all this within 2 days, so i think resale value of the k2p quite gd.

Think i might be able to sell my less than 1 mth old k2p local set for $1K , comes with all box and warranty card. Than i top up another 1.5K for the BE.

Although i like to ask for advise, but afterall i still trust my own ear, i believe i will only stop once i reach BE level, unless focal came out with a new utopia series, but i dun think they will do so in the near future.Now everyday thinking of the full Be haha............

I do agreed amp is not that important, i also feel that speaker is the most important part of a gd ICE setup, but rite now i still enjoying my k2p, the only diff i think is the Beryllium inverted dome tweeter and TN52 , the midbass not much diff, infact i find my k2p midbass give a stronger front bass than the Be midbass.

The TN52 tweeter is also a very detailed pair, but it just lack some kind of warm when u compare it with the Beryllium.

Anyway more or less confrim on the Fp 5.50 and fp 2.150 focal amp, and add another focal SW plus upgrade all my RCA cables, Is there enough power for me to drive my 3 way + a SW ?