• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Brake Dust on Rims for my new C-180

Guest echodeltax

Guest echodeltax

For the past 1 month since i got my new C-180, i noticed that there is alot of brake dust on my rims. I try cleaning everyday... sian...Maybe the avantgarde rims in between the spoke gaps are very big.

Today my car is also not dirty at all but the rims are dirty again ...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest angela

For the past 1 month since i got my new C-180, i noticed that there is alot of brake dust on my rims. I try cleaning everyday... sian...Maybe the avantgarde rims in between the spoke gaps are very big.

yea man! i hate the fact that after i wash liao in the basement where its dry, den it rain and i go out for 5mins to buy some grocerys and come back and they are GREYYYYYYYYY... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

check out this other thread for some help...

http://www.sgmerc.com/forum/index.php?topic=3360.0

Guest echodeltax

Same problem here.. of cos the standard reply fm C&C is "that's normal"! :banghead:

Yah!!... but since so many Bros here also experienced the same thing then it must be really "normal"!! hahaha....

That's why i like to post so many questions about the car here before going to C&C so that i know whether it is "normal" or not. :)

Thanks!!

Guest holmiumz

ya iI hate it also...sunday I wash till mad, stil has some black spots stuck on it cant be cleaned...then I went to buy this Black Magic Rim Washer...heard it is good, jus spray and wash and the dirt will go away. Havent try, will try this weekends.

Guest colrc

Don't wash too clean clean because the brakes will squeal a little when you first drive off. so how? clean wheels that squeal or dirty ones that look like sh*t? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Guest kopimonster

good for you bro, that means your brakes are doing a pretty darn good job if you ask me ;)

i have used different sets of brakes with various combination of rims, and all having the same effect, so no worries bro. the gaps and layout of your spoke only determines how easy your rims can be washed nia haha

Guest echodeltax

Don't wash too clean clean because the brakes will squeal a little when you first drive off. so how? clean wheels that squeal or dirty ones that look like sh*t? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Talking about "squeal".. are you referring to the sound when drive off in morning??

I noticed the sound is pretty loud leh... how come ah?? Feels like my brake pads worn out like that. New car shouldnt have this type of sound... my old car has this noise cos the front brake pad was worn out and when i changed to new ones, no more sound already.

Guest kepiting1sg

ya iI hate it also...sunday I wash till mad, stil has some black spots stuck on it cant be cleaned...then I went to buy this Black Magic Rim Washer...heard it is good, jus spray and wash and the dirt will go away. Havent try, will try this weekends.

An effective and cheap way to wash your dirty rims is to mix a "little" diesel to your car shampoo - stir well and those dust will cum off. If U dun wanna dirty your hand, go through your wheels with a paint brush and later spray water to clear away the dirt & your rims will cum out clean & shiny.

I suspect some of this so call "expensive" wheel cleaner are actually a mixture of diesel & detergent.

Guest colrc

"squeal" due to brake disc too squeaky clean, lah. after I drive off and apply the brakes a few times, the noise disappears.

Dear uncle batam cheem, I would caution using solvents that may not only dissolve your brake dust but also the powder paint/chrome finish/shine of your beautiful wheels. Better to buy quality cleaners that do not corrode your mag/alloy wheels. check the labels b4 u buy. I guess this is the "old" way for an "old" man? you give good (costly?) advice on ICE, man. ha, ha. no offence, bro.

Guest kepiting1sg

"squeal" due to brake disc too squeaky clean, lah. after I drive off and apply the brakes a few times, the noise disappears.

Dear uncle batam cheem, I would caution using solvents that may not only dissolve your brake dust but also the powder paint/chrome finish/shine of your beautiful wheels. Better to buy quality cleaners that do not corrode your mag/alloy wheels. check the labels b4 u buy. I guess this is the "old" way for an "old" man? you give good (costly?) advice on ICE, man. ha, ha. no offence, bro.

Aiyah! A little diesel won't be corrosive lah!

Used them on my Brabus Monoblock IV without problem to the alloy wheels.

Those wheels after 5 years still look as good as new.

Nowadays neber wash car anymore!

Only wash them at the grooming center nia!

ICE arh???

Not necessary costly advice!

There are poisons for diff. budget!

BTW I surrendered & retired from ICE liao!!!! :surrender:

Ran out of stamina!!!! :evlaugh:

Guest Cklasse

I use this to keep my wheels clean, nevermind if the car is dirty but the rims must be clean.

429200_y075.jpg

Sonax wheel cleaner...very easy, just spray and wash off with water.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cklasse

I have seen it in Esso station, Autobac. Just spray the wheel and let it loosen the dust. It is ready to wash away when the clear solution turned red like the wheel is bleeding. Be warned, the smell of the spray is horrible (like hair dye smell) and it is better to hold your breath to spray, then get away from the area.

However, the end result is it is very easy to wash the rims. :apwink:

Guest east539

I have seen it in Esso station, Autobac. Just spray the wheel and let it loosen the dust. It is ready to wash away when the clear solution turned red like the wheel is bleeding. Be warned, the smell of the spray is horrible (like hair dye smell) and it is better to hold your breath to spray, then get away from the area.

ok swee, thanks. i later chiong to Esso & get it.

Guest 777kenny

I'm using the Sonax one also. Very effective! Bought mine at Autobacs.