• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Fuel Type

g8crasher

jameslhm, this is for you.

Page 128 of the W124 Mercedes Benz manual states to use Premium Unleaded fuel of 95 RON/85 MON minimum OR Leaded Premium Fuel of 98 RON/88 MON.

I hope this puts any doubt you have to rest otherwise you will have to take your argument to Daimler Benz's technical team.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bro i noe i try 95 but gt issue i tried 95 for 2 to 3 month , when chnage to 98 car become better still looking the reason behind it

Can you be more specific about what it is that is bothering you when you pump 95 vs 98 ?

What strange noises do you hear ?

In what way is the car better ?

You need someone to adjust your ignition timing ?

Are you using the correct spark plugs ?

Look at it logically -

1. M102.962 engines are not high compression engines.

2. Our 8V cars are not equipped with knock sensors to take advantage of the higher octane in the fuel.

You have previously mentioned your car dies off when you engage reverse gear sometimes. If there is some co-relation between pumping 95RON fuel as opposed to 98RON fuel and that problem we'd like to hear it.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is to look at things objectively and work out the problem. FFS stop your guessing games and send it to a mechanic.

Good luck in finding your solution.

Does it generally mean that a higher compression engine runs better on higher octane levels?

Rather, a high compression engine requires a high octane fuel because it combusts slower than lower octane fuel. If you feed 92RON fuel in an engine designed for 98RON, you run the risk of detonating your engine. Detonation happens when the air/fuel mixture burns too quickly and is ignited by means other than the spark plug ignition causing excessive pressure and heat build up .

Guest angela

Rather, a high compression engine requires a high octane fuel because it combusts slower than lower octane fuel. If you feed 92RON fuel in an engine designed for 98RON, you run the risk of detonating your engine. Detonation happens when the air/fuel mixture burns too quickly and is ignited by means other than the spark plug ignition causing excessive pressure and heat build up .

i wonder if that is the reason of people saying there is a "knocking" sound if they pump lower fuel grade?

is it bcause i ever patch ,y ebgine head b4?

Maybe possible. It depends on the extent of the damage prior to you fixing it up. Only the person who patched your head will know how bad the cracks were. Likely that the previous owner didn't take good care of the car like you have tried.

i wonder if that is the reason of people saying there is a "knocking" sound if they pump lower fuel grade?

Yes Willy. Pinging, knocking are one and the same. Different people hear different things. :la: Higher RON rating does not mean higher quality fuel. In fact, the energy for a given volume of 98RON fuel vs 95RON is less!

What if we tune up our ECU? Need to use higher RON?

It all depends on how aggressive the mapping will be with the new ECU. There are a few different stages involved in modification. Stage 1 usually involves a simple chip upgrade or additional piggyback ECU. In this stage, a slightly more aggressive map is introduced to obtain more HP and torque from the factory setup.

Even if you increase the boost pressure of your turbo/compressor significantly, the ECU can still be tuned to within 98RON tolerances.

Guest starnite

HI all, how do they tune the CO? I understand we are using ECU, and not caburettor, so is it still possible to tune it? Is there a meter the mechanic use? or just using his ears and nose? :P

I am using RON95. If my ECU is remapped, does it mean that I have to upgrade to 98? or can I remain in 95 with increased boost from my supercharger?

Perhaps you could shed some light on the ECU you are using or plan on using ? As mentioned previously it really depends on how aggressively mapped it is. Generally if you do an "improvement over stock" ECU upgrade which touts a better throttle response, fuel efficiency(crazy as it sounds) etc, chances are it will still be okay on 95RON.

Anything more than "improvement over stock" is usually geared towards significantly higher power output and involves a whole suite of upgrades such as intercooler and fuel delivery system upgrades. In this case, 98RON will be highly recommended.

Yo hi again everyone... haha i m back... James just stick to ur 98 cos ur cylinder head is skimmed by quite an amount. and the EZL dial setting is set at S. if u wanna use 95 den u can just change the setting on ur EZL dial got it?

• 3 weeks later...