• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

AUX Input for Audio 20 C-180 (W204)

Guest echodeltax

Guest mvdennis

edmund wrote:

thx pak for your reply...they do not rececommend UCI to audio 20 as it might not work with audio 20, whereas it is 100% compatibility with comand.

as for comand, it is gonna burn a big hole in the pocket, gotta live on bread and water for a few months...haha...

hey mate, consider these options too ...

http://www.sgmerc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=187377&postcount=8

I'm most likely going for option 1 and 2 ... else buy the second hand cable from spursburger and have it fixed up on your car!

Guest mvdennis

edmund wrote:

got to dig out this old thread as i could not find similar topics...

my MY09 C180k does not come with an AUX input for my audio20, any idea who, where, and the indicative cost to get it done up?

i understand i will need a volume booster to rectify the low volume problem wrt to playing from iphone...can some kind soul direct me to the correct product/vendor?

many thanks!

interestingly enough i just realised i do have the AUX input in the glove box but there's no button on the audio set to select AUX?!!?!!?

What the fish!?

Guest kepiting1sg

mvdennis wrote:

interestingly enough i just realised i do have the AUX input in the glove box but there's no button on the audio set to select AUX?!!?!!?

What the fish!?

Come see me maybe I can sort it out for U!:becky:

Guest PALMER19

mvdennis wrote:

What the fish!?

Yup, blame it on the a luxury marque that comes with a rotary dial to access the audio 20. You can chose that function using the dial, but quite a hassle. I can't remember off hand, read the manual, if not I update the steps here later.

Guest mvdennis

PALMER19 wrote:

Yup, blame it on the a luxury marque that comes with a rotary dial to access the audio 20. You can chose that function using the dial, but quite a hassle. I can't remember off hand, read the manual, if not I update the steps here later.

yea can you help me with the steps?

the previous owner lost the owners manual ... and i can fully understand why. so many funny buttons and strange controls, no wonder have to keep reading until the whole book also went missing.

Lol!

Guest PALMER19

Select Disc --> CD or MP3 --> AUX.

You can access via the buttons or the dial at the centre console. Instead of rotating the dial to select within a folder, pull down on the dial to jump from folder to folder. Not very intuitive, but the AUX menu is hidden within some sub folders.

Guest mvdennis

PALMER19 wrote:

Select Disc --> CD or MP3 --> AUX.

You can access via the buttons or the dial at the centre console. Instead of rotating the dial to select within a folder, pull down on the dial to jump from folder to folder. Not very intuitive, but the AUX menu is hidden within some sub folders.

hey mate i got it ... mine dun have the dial so that's why we chicken and duck talk :becky::becky: for my antique set, what's needed to be done is to press and hold the CDC button for 2-3 seconds and it'll become AUX!

only thing is the input is so much softer even though my ipod is on max volume liao ... wonder where is the gain setting ......:whistle:

Guest kepiting1sg

mvdennis wrote:

hey mate i got it ... mine dun have the dial so that's why we chicken and duck talk :becky::becky: for my antique set, what's needed to be done is to press and hold the CDC button for 2-3 seconds and it'll become AUX!

only thing is the input is so much softer even though my ipod is on max volume liao ... wonder where is the gain setting ......:whistle:

U tok as if I got HIV or Leprosy.....kekekeke! :pound:

I've a poison for your every needs....or rather antidote for your poison...hehehee!:becky:

iPhone max sound still weak arh......try this out!

Click link:-

FiiO E5 Headphone Earphone Portable Amplifier

9289_12.JPG

!BuQ!fYgBmk~$(KGrHqEOKiEEvNzIQS99BL+jSy!j4g~~_12.JPG

Guest mvdennis

PALMER19 wrote:

Audio is very bad if you connect from headphone output. You have to have the output from the docking slot of the iPod.

actually it's not too bad la ...just very soft only... once it turn it up it's ok liao. and now with unker's mini headphone amp, i think it should do the trick!

bought from ebay liao ... eagerly waiting now

Guest mvdennis

kepiting1sg wrote:

Instantly poisoned or rather got antidote for poison immediately!!!!

I should have sell U mine cheaply.....muhahahah! :lol:

alamak! you should have said!!

:shocked:

Guest Questor

Hi, just wondering if anyone using the aux input has bothered to get a cable that gives line out instead of just using the headphone out of the ipod?

I don't believe a headphone amp is needed as this should address the impedence issue.

An example of the cable I mean:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-in-1-usb-3-5mm-aux-audio-data-charger-cable-for-ipod-iphone-2g-3g-3gs-black-1-2m-34654

Higher class one:

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html

Guest mvdennis

Questor wrote:

Hi, just wondering if anyone using the aux input has bothered to get a cable that gives line out instead of just using the headphone out of the ipod?

I don't believe a headphone amp is needed as this should address the impedence issue.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-in-1-usb-3-5mm-aux-audio-data-charger-cable-for-ipod-iphone-2g-3g-3gs-black-1-2m-34654

Higher class one:

let you know in a week or so ... i ordered not what poison unker recommended but the FIIO E1 which works on the same concept as what you indicated above.

Guest PALMER19

Questor wrote:

Higher class one:

I hv something similar to the 3-in-1 but instead of the USB, it a car charger. You can easily get this from any hand phone shop selling iPhone accessories. Cost me a grand total of $15 from a pasar malam stall. Works quite well, the location of the aux input is the problem.

Guest Questor

mvdennis wrote:

let you know in a week or so ... i ordered not what poison unker recommended but the FIIO E1 which works on the same concept as what you indicated above.

That looks good except it is still a headphone out and not line out. Still, quality should be good since voltage is higher. :) Only thing is can't charge the ipod at the same time. Good enough if you intend to take out the ipod of the car.

PALMER19 wrote:

I hv something similar to the 3-in-1 but instead of the USB, it a car charger. You can easily get this from any hand phone shop selling iPhone accessories. Cost me a grand total of $15 from a pasar malam stall. Works quite well, the location of the aux input is the problem.

There is one from the same site, but US$5. Thanks for the feedback that it works. :)

Some other brands offer a single cable from the charger to the ipod so can just route one cable to the front if that position is preferred. Both should be able to be hooked up in the glove compartment.

Guest mvdennis

Questor wrote:

That looks good except it is still a headphone out and not line out. Still, quality should be good since voltage is higher. :) Only thing is can't charge the ipod at the same time. Good enough if you intend to take out the ipod of the car.

There is one from the same site, but US$5. Thanks for the feedback that it works. :)

Some other brands offer a single cable from the charger to the ipod so can just route one cable to the front if that position is preferred. Both should be able to be hooked up in the glove compartment.

no no ... E1 is the line out for ipod ... oh shit dun tell me i quoted the wrong model :shocked:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Questor

Anyway just for an update and general info:

1. IPOD SETTINGS: For ipods, go to settings to ensure your volume is not limited. There is a usual setting of limiting it to about 80-85% of the max volume so you can get abit more out of it.

2. AUX SETTINGS: I hope everyone has click 'Boost' via the aux input options. This also helps abit.. with the above, now the gap in CD to AUX is about 3-4 notches on the dial only. Does not sound glaringly off anymore.. just the telephone left. I feel that the telephone is alot louder than CD/AUX when it cuts in.

3. TELEPHONE SETTINGS: If you press "telephone hang-up", "1" and "#" buttons on the front of the Audio-20 headunit at the same time and hold for about 5-10 seconds, you can access the engineering menu. There are various settings but unfortunately nothing to boost aux.

What it does do is to help lower the telephone volume setting, and up the entertainment volume setting, so that when telephone calls come in, it isn't excessively loud in comparison..

If someone manage to find a way to set the aux-in via this menu, please do share. I think not all cars' menu are the same.

4. I bought a cable giving line out for ipod (and charging) which is the normal signal strength for stereo equipment. However the sound via AUX-in is still softer. I found out this is because mercedes purposely attenuate the aux-in - supposedly because it reduces chance of issues, because less likely to have excessively high signal input which can blow the amp or speakers.

I am unsure how they attenuate (whether via lowering gain or increase impedence), but I bought a cheap headphone amp (as per suggestions in this thread) and it helps give about 5db gain or so which brings it to par. Note the line-out cable is still important to retain sound quality - if using the headphone out of the ipod, the quality tends to suffer if you have to max the volume there.

Just a note that headphone amps are designed to solve impedence issues rather than gain, and will only give you about 5-8db in general, though there are those which give more. Pick and choose. :)

5. Better solutions. I am still considering other options - if I can find a way to get 6.5V or 12V out of the car easily, I think I can easily buy a DAC for home systems and use it. This solves no.4 above in a better way, and gives better sound quality too!

Hope this helps someone!

Guest mvdennis

thanks for your detailed explanations and suggestions Questor!

i just recently fixed up the JBL MS-8 and there is a spare AUX pod that allows you to just plug it in. The quality and volume is now obviously superb since the processor takes care of everything. Worthwhile as a consideration especially for those who want a little bit more out of our stock system!

Guest Questor

I agree, this is another good method - if you are willing to add another processor or pre-amp into the stage. I guess my suggestions are more 'budget', because I feel if willing to go all the way, can upgrade command or buy ipod kit already. :)