• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

AUX Input for Audio 20 C-180 (W204)

Guest echodeltax

Guest echodeltax

Hi Bros,

Anyone can share with me exactly how the AUX input works for Audio 20??

The input is located inside the glove compartment??

I have a MP3 Player (Creative). Do need to get an IPOD to be able to fully integrate all the function into the sound system?? For example, can adjust everything from the steering wheel??

Does the IPOD Nano work well on the Audio 20 system?? (which model is recommeded??)

Pls advice!! Thanks very much!!

Guest heavenknows

I have the iPod interface cable installed and it uses the AUX input on the Audio 20. You can control the iPod from the steering wheel but not from the tumble wheet on the armrest. The songs from the iPod are also not displayed on the Audio20 screen but only on the speedo display... but quite limited since the screen there is so small.

One frustrating thing is this: the iPod interface cable does not support charging of the iPod. :banghead: If you leave it there overnight, the iPod will go flat!

Guest kepiting1sg

I have the iPod interface cable installed and it uses the AUX input on the Audio 20. You can control the iPod from the steering wheel but not from the tumble wheet on the armrest. The songs from the iPod are also not displayed on the Audio20 screen but only on the speedo display... but quite limited since the screen there is so small.

One frustrating thing is this: the iPod interface cable does not support charging of the iPod. :banghead: If you leave it there overnight, the iPod will go flat!

Hiam some more!

U W204 lucky lot with W204 Audio 20 that can has IPod & Bluetooth Handfree

We guys with the W211 Audio 20 has nothing..... :banghead: :banghead:

Guest echodeltax

Which IPOD model do you have to make it work on the screen?? And what wire to buy??

Did you just plug in directly into the glove compartment and can instantly access already? Any setup process on the ipod side or the Audio 20??

Can share in details pls...

Is it worth to set up everything?? or just burn songs on the MP3 CD player easier??

Thanks!!

Guest redhood

Yah lor, uncle. R171 pre-FL oso same same Audio 20 no Aux-in. Must spend another 1000++ to get iPod. Sigh...

Btw, to get charging for iPod, just go buy a dock for iPod with Aux-out. I'm using a Belkin FM transmitter that connects to cig 12v outlet n it has Aux-out. Connect that to the aux-in in the glove compartment and u r all set!

Guest kepiting1sg

Yah lor, uncle. R171 pre-FL oso same same Audio 20 no Aux-in. Must spend another 1000++ to get iPod. Sigh...

Btw, to get charging for iPod, just go buy a dock for iPod with Aux-out. I'm using a Belkin FM transmitter that connects to cig 12v outlet n it has Aux-out. Connect that to the aux-in in the glove compartment and u r all set!

The FM transmitter - no interference noise arh? How's the sound quality?

In my Batam Island Land Cruiser ride, my cheapo Panasonic D-Din DVD Player - got full iPod integration - charging, playlist, album, artist, song title,etc, damn shiok. :clap: Dunno why MB make life so difficult for us. :2guns:

Guest jenvid

should consider getting the Harman Kardon Drive & Play I think it is by far the best aux in car ipod interface kit IMHO.

• Like 1

Guest kepiting1sg

should consider getting the Harman Kardon Drive & Play I think it is by far the best aux in car ipod interface kit IMHO.

Bro Jenvid, more info please!

Features, pics, installation, $$$, where to get....hehehe! ;D

Guest blackmercs

Hi heavenknows, can share the brand and cost of ipod interface cable information??

Guest redhood

Bro Jenvid, more info please!

Features, pics, installation, $$$, where to get....hehehe! ;D

But HK drive & play cannot connect to steering controls leh, sigh!! Will also lose the flushed looks of the dashboard.

Uncle, my FM transmitter sound quality not so good lah, but sometimes it can get as good as radio, that's abt it. MB really make it difficult for us. One more aux-in can die is it?

My car also has an AUX input located inside the glove compartment.

But it is just a small hole, look like a 3.5mm socket instead of a standard red-white RCA...

may I know that is it an normal standard L/R 3.5mm audio socket?? :)

Guest kepiting1sg

But it is just a small hole, look like a 3.5mm socket instead of a standard red-white RCA...

Yes! It's a normal socket for a "std" mini jack. ;D

Guest blackmercs

Hi, yes is the 3.5 mm, male to male jack input. Many shop is selling this cable, i brought mine $7.50 bucks at 3.5m long. But the sounds system is really CMI, so soft need to full blast the volume knob. Remember to lower the volume when switch back to radio or CD mode. Frankly, i wonder what is the purpose of having that AUX jack, if the sound quality is so bad!!!!

Guest kepiting1sg

Hi, yes is the 3.5 mm, male to male jack input. Many shop is selling this cable, i brought mine $7.50 bucks at 3.5m long. But the sounds system is really CMI, so soft need to full blast the volume knob. Remember to lower the volume when switch back to radio or CD mode. Frankly, i wonder what is the purpose of having that AUX jack, if the sound quality is so bad!!!!

Cannot hiam lah! Got better than dun have. :thumbsup:

U W204 guys lucky lot - got aux in for iPod & Bluetooth Phone handsfree.

We guys with the W211 Audio20 has nothing other than the usual CDs to play nia. :banghead:

Guest yonghwee

Just to share my experience.

After trying options like cable to glove compartment and also buying a FM transmitter, i found the best and cheapest solution thus far: Sony Ericsson W980 Walkman phone

Price: S$50 after trading in my Nokia N80, and $100 voucher from my wife's iphone purchase

Phone Features:

- 8GB built in memory (BUILT IN, not SD card)

- Built in FM transmitter

- It's a flip phone, there's a set of music controls on the cover with a small LCD panel for song display

- Can just shake the phone to shuffle or change track

- Blue tooth for phone

Before I drive, I'll switch audio20 to my preset station, play music on my phone and switch on FM transmission, and viola!

So there's no need for a separate FM transmitter, or a cable to the glove compartment, basically wireless so the phone is free to move around. The phone's built in FM transmitter also sends song info, so both the Audio20 screen and speedo shows the track title.

After some experiment, i found a good frequency with minimum disturbance, although classical music can still hear noise. Also doesn't work well in tunnels.

The Blue Tooth works, so in coming calls and SMS alert are handled gracefully as usually.

Battery quite decent even after using FM transmitter. Only thing now is to find a car charger for this phone :punk1:

Thanks. Just want to understand the AUX hole ;).

I am on V251 Comand APS which has a SD card slot, so it is quite convenient for me to download and play MP3 :D.

Guest holmiumz

Hey , I wan to hook out the Aux to my IPod also...wat interface cable is recommended? I dont want to use the male to male jack bcoz it is very soft, is there any cable tat has male-to-ipod-interface (dunno wat i calls hehe) type of cable?

Guest nightfly

Hey , I wan to hook out the Aux to my IPod also...wat interface cable is recommended? I dont want to use the male to male jack bcoz it is very soft, is there any cable tat has male-to-ipod-interface (dunno wat i calls hehe) type of cable?

I'm using the 3.5mm minijack (or male to male as you call it) and it's ok volume wise if you have the ipod at max. There are aftermarket minijack to dock (ipod interface) cables out there but I've still yet to acquire and try one. What I have gathered from online forums is that the dock output bypasses the built-in ipod amp and the result is a lower output signal but of higher SQ.

There's a fair bit of information to be found if you search the Jaben Forums. Here's the link: http://jaben.net/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=0033c84f27af4ff3b628c445c0314fcd&board=76.0

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
Guest extra6

Just got my W204 2 days ago! Loving every moment driving in it.

I'm very particular about the in-car iPod/iPhone connectivity for my music and is thankful that the Aux Input is available.

My current setup is as follows:

1. Male-to-male 3.5mm cable (1.5m) running from the Aux out of the Glove compartment to the side of the centre console (to hide the cable) - range from $5 and above depends on quality

2. Griffin TuneFlex Aux Smart Click, complete with charging facility, dock/holder, remote to control and volume adjustment.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflex-aux-with-smartclick -$138

In summary, sound quality is good, much better compared with FM transmission and control is much better. If you have a GPS App on your iphone, the voice command will be from your in-car speakers.

Simply fantastic!

• 1 year later...

got to dig out this old thread as i could not find similar topics...

my MY09 C180k does not come with an AUX input for my audio20, any idea who, where, and the indicative cost to get it done up?

i understand i will need a volume booster to rectify the low volume problem wrt to playing from iphone...can some kind soul direct me to the correct product/vendor?

many thanks!

Guest kepiting1sg

edmund wrote:

got to dig out this old thread as i could not find similar topics...

my MY09 C180k does not come with an AUX input for my audio20, any idea who, where, and the indicative cost to get it done up?

i understand i will need a volume booster to rectify the low volume problem wrt to playing from iphone...can some kind soul direct me to the correct product/vendor?

many thanks!

U might wanna consider retrofitting UCI (Universal Communication Interface)

Unlike the AUX input, this retrofit gives you 3 cables & 3 choices of input.

1. 3.5mm AUX

2. USB Flash Drive - Take up to 32Gb or more from Thumb Drive

3. iPhone/iPod - with charging.

U can contact either of the 2 forum experts here in MB AV retrofitting

1. Camber53 aka Gregeory - 96680053 or [email protected]

http://www.sgmerc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18976&page=2

2. Ricric_lo aka Ricky - [email protected]

http://www.sgmerc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19767

kepiting1sg wrote:

U might wanna consider retrofitting UCI (Universal Communication Interface)

Unlike the AUX input, this retrofit gives you 3 cables & 3 choices of input.

1. 3.5mm AUX

2. USB Flash Drive - Take up to 32Gb or more from Thumb Drive

3. iPhone/iPod - with charging.

U can contact either of the 2 forum experts here in MB AV retrofitting

1. Camber53 aka Gregeory - 96680053 or [email protected]

http://www.sgmerc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18976&page=2

2. Ricric_lo aka Ricky - [email protected]

http://www.sgmerc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19767

thx pak for your reply...they do not rececommend UCI to audio 20 as it might not work with audio 20, whereas it is 100% compatibility with comand.

as for comand, it is gonna burn a big hole in the pocket, gotta live on bread and water for a few months...haha...

Guest kepiting1sg

edmund wrote:

thx pak for your reply...they do not rececommend UCI to audio 20 as it might not work with audio 20, whereas it is 100% compatibility with comand.

as for comand, it is gonna burn a big hole in the pocket, gotta live on bread and water for a few months...haha...

Dunno about your W204 but my previous stock W212 with Audio 20 came with UCI.

The guys also can do just the iPod/iPhone interface too!

• 4 weeks later...