• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Oil Change

Guest tategoi

Guest tategoi

Mobil 1 is the recommended engine oil for Mercedes Benz. I have been using the gold Mobil 1 on my old rides, and I found it much better compared to the Castrol. My previous BMW and VW felt smoother and they were more fuel efficient when on Mobil 1 Gold. Only recently I noticed that C&C is using Shell Helix, WTF! What is your take on Helix on Mercedes?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Shell Helix quality is so so only.

Couple of times when I bought a new car.. the oil inside the car is Shell Helix..

first 5k servicing also give you Shell Helix.. thereafter also Helix..

Is just an ordinary base oil, but if you are looking into performance or to protect your

engine in the long run.. better go for any better oil in the market

Mobil 1 is the recommended engine oil for Mercedes Benz. I have been using the gold Mobil 1 on my old rides, and I found it much better compared to the Castrol. My previous BMW and VW felt smoother and they were more fuel efficient when on Mobil 1 Gold. Only recently I noticed that C&C is using Shell Helix, WTF! What is your take on Helix on Mercedes?

Yes C&C always uses Helix..i have considered giving them other better brands of oil to top up during the servicing but then again, who knows what really goes into it if u know wat i mean...i can't be beside them when they pour it in to my engine or mabe it goes smwhere else?

so i just gave up and let them do wat they like...life is too short to start micro-managing on my car oil...

Guest kopimonster

yet to go in for any servicing, but just a couple of weeks back, my car was screaming at me to top up engine oil, so i gave C&C technical guys a call to check on the recommended engine oil and they recommended my mobil gold.

Guest tategoi

Yes C&C always uses Helix..i have considered giving them other better brands of oil to top up during the servicing but then again, who knows what really goes into it if u know wat i mean...i can't be beside them when they pour it in to my engine or mabe it goes smwhere else?

so i just gave up and let them do wat they like...life is too short to start micro-managing on my car oil...

This is not about micro managing engine oil, it is about putting the right stuff in our cars. When we need to replace car parts, we only want genuine Mercedes Benz parts. Although those made-in-Taiwan or made-in-Thailand parts can also be used, I don't think you will be agreeable to allow C&C to use them.

Of course I am not saying Helix is no good, as I have not used that before. But since Mobil 1 is the recommended engine oil, why aren't C&C using that? We hear radio ads from Mercedes Benz touting the workshops know best, but why it allows the only local authorised workshops to use an engine oil that is not recommended by its own HQ?

Actually I'm not too particular about what brand/make the oil is.. as long as I'm not whacking my car or always driving in a tough conditions like long distance or track.. any oil is fine for me.

I just make sure that the oil level is always rite.. & remember to change oil when necessary.. is good enough for a normal engine to last.

Read about the class action lawsuit against MB in USA by MB owners over 'conventional oil'. Filed in 2003

http://syntheticlubricants.org/mercedesfindsout.html

The following info is swiped from the Mobil 1 SG site - http://www.mobil.com.sg/Singapore-English/LCW/Products_Services/Automotive/Mobil1_Myths.asp

In fact, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

• Acura RDX

• Aston Martin

• Bentley Vehicles

• Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, Escalade, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V

• Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

• Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

• Chrysler 300C SRT-8

• Chevrolet Cobalt SS

• Dodge Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8

• Holden Special Vehicles

• Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8