• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Engine problem

Guest Sareve

My car used to sound very "smooth" and there was hardly any vibration in the car at all. Now the engine just sounds cruder, like a diesel engine and there is often alot of vibration in the car. Is this an engine problem? Could some parts be loose? Or is it just the car showing its age?

If it's a problem, what's a good place that can check my car for any problems?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My car used to sound very "smooth" and there was hardly any vibration in the car at all. Now the engine just sounds cruder, like a diesel engine

the way u drive - heavy on the foot causes the engine to hit the higher revs - this = engine stress and in time (3 years since u get ur license and car) will wear ur engine down.

my bmw used to have slient engine note until 4,000rpm. now 1,500rpm with a/c off can hear it liao. its just 1.5 years old and hit 40,000km.

and there is often alot of vibration in the car. Is this an engine problem? Could some parts be loose? Or is it just the car showing its age?

engine mount old liao, change for it to have no / less vibration. not that cheap, i think at least $400, if i remember correctly for my old c class, w202.

If it's a problem, what's a good place that can check my car for any problems?

anywhere, c&c will do a through check than most workshops, esp if they have ur svsing record.

hmmm my car sometime seems to have this problem too.. abit of vibration i can feel.. so is it normal too?

bro ur car is very new.

its a sports car with a sports package, i believe comes with sports exhuast so the louder noise from ur exhaust pipes will cause more vibration (i.e. nothing is free in this world)

small vibration like idling and all is normal, ur roadster should have a harder suspension, so feeling the "bumps and stones" on the road is normal

if you're talking about an unbearable vibration (i think like what sareve is talking about), den you should bring the car back to c&c to get it done, and dun forget to ask for a courtesy car as your ride is less than 6 mths old.

PS: your "sister" has the same car as urs, why not take a ride in hers to see if the vibration is common. and if u can't tell the difference i'm sure she can give u some advise too.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll bring the car down to a workshop and have them take a look at it soon.

I'm talking like taxi kind of vibration on the SL. Car is 4 years old, but only has 42 thousand km on it I think.

I don't think the problem developed from the car being driven too hard as this problem only occurred after I returned from Australia, my mom's been driving the car while I was there. This problem doesn't go away even after the engine is warmed up.

Any other good workshops besides C&C? If it's inconvenient to mention here, can pm me instead.

To Jun: Haha go take a ride in mercy's car with the roof closed, you'll immediately feel the difference! Btw, all mercs are damn comfortable and are supposed to be really quiet and smooth, slk not withstanding. Go take a ride in a more focused sports car and you'll immediately see and feel a huge difference!

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll bring the car down to a workshop and have them take a look at it soon.

I'm talking like taxi kind of vibration on the SL. Car is 4 years old, but only has 42 thousand km on it I think.

I don't think the problem developed from the car being driven too hard as this problem only occurred after I returned from Australia, my mom's been driving the car while I was there. This problem doesn't go away even after the engine is warmed up.

Any other good workshops besides C&C? If it's inconvenient to mention here, can pm me instead.

To Jun: Haha go take a ride in mercy's car with the roof closed, you'll immediately feel the difference! Btw, all mercs are damn comfortable and are supposed to be really quiet and smooth, slk not withstanding. Go take a ride in a more focused sports car and you'll immediately see and feel a huge difference!

if there is vibration, and ur rev meter remains ard the same poisition, den ur engine mount has been worn out, as i said.

but it ur rev meter goes up and down and ur car feels like gonna stall, den ur engine got something wrong - i had that problem before.

the way ur mum drive doesn't matter, cuz the way u drive for the past few year has did the damage to it liao... :swduel:

engine not warm up won't give u vibration problem, dun worry. =)

pm-ed u the workshop that fixed my vibration problem.

To Jun: ...all mercs are damn comfortable and are supposed to be really quiet and smooth, slk not withstanding.

mine has certain amount of vibrations, like what JUN mentioned. but seriously. not all comfortable, quiet and smooth. mine sounds like a lorry, right after 1.5k rpm. hahaha.

yes, could blame the right foot.

but I think high chance of engine mount? my dad's old S had the same problem as well.

Guest SgLaKsa

pm-ed u the workshop that fixed my vibration problem.

Hi Willy,

My car also has the same vibration problem which doesn't exist when it was new. Only 1 year old and did around 25,000 km, but vibration started 6 months ago. Can you PM me the workshop too? Thanks.

I've told M@@ about it and the service adviser said he'll settle it for me. When i collect my car and complained that the vibration is worse than before, guess what he replied? He said "Bu Ke Neng De Lah (Not Possible Lah), we didn't even do anything about the vibration." He said this to show that they didn't cause my car to vibrate more, but he forgot that he just admitted about ignoring my complain by doing nothing about the vibration. Great Service indeed :banghead:

I consider myself a very easy to handle customer. The same shop above couldn't solve my car's Ultra irritating Squeeky interior sound, i live with it for the whole time lor. Now there's this vibration thing and they showed me the kinda face that i've over reacted to the problem, again i just live with the vibration till now lor :-[ (Moreover, my car started to have this vibration after they changed my faulty radiator fan.) :-[ Sigh! "Ren Shan Bei Ren Qi" :-[

To Jun: ...all mercs are damn comfortable and are supposed to be really quiet and smooth, slk not withstanding.

mine has certain amount of vibrations, like what JUN mentioned. but seriously. not all comfortable, quiet and smooth. mine sounds like a lorry, right after 1.5k rpm. hahaha.

but I think high chance of engine mount? my dad's old S had the same problem as well.

ahhahaah maybe you turbocharged your kompressor????!!! that's why gt this type of vibration. ehehehhehe :punk1: :punk1: :punk1:

Guest skipper

Other than engine mountings, the gearbox mountings can also cause vibrations. Got mine changed at C&C and everything was fine. Sad to say, the Merc mountings don't last very long but fortunately they are not very expensive for the W203.

Sounds like you either have a problem or you modded your car :P

SgLaKsa ]

Hi Willy,

My car also has the same vibration problem which doesn' wrote:

"Bu Ke Neng De Lah (Not Possible Lah), we didn't even do anything about the vibration."[/b] He said this to show that they didn't cause my car to vibrate more, but he forgot that he just admitted about ignoring my complain by doing nothing about the vibration. Great Service indeed :banghead:

hi ben, pm-ed u the info.

in the first year of having my w203 i left the engine running at idle for 1 hour 30min while i was talking to my friend (yes, bad mistake, i noe, it won't happen again) in the car..

2 day later the engine started to choke, and the rev started jumping up and down and the car stalled like 10 times on my way to sch and back. managed to bring it to sin ming to get it done.. cost me $600++ to change some part in the engine (can't remember what liao) + engine mounts.

maybe you're experiencing a similar problem?

Sareve ]

mine sounds like a lorry, right after 1.5k rpm. hahaha.

ahhahaah maybe you turbocharged your kompressor????!!! that' wrote:

Sounds like you either have a problem or you modded your car :P

the way he give his wheel a "rolling headstart" before driving... :rockon:

800px-DTM_car_mercedes2006_burnOut.jpg

blame the right foot and left hand on the reset button... :devil2:

Guest SgLaKsa

hi ben, pm-ed u the info.

in the first year of having my w203 i left the engine running at idle for 1 hour 30min while i was talking to my friend (yes, bad mistake, i noe, it won't happen again) in the car..

2 day later the engine started to choke, and the rev started jumping up and down and the car stalled like 10 times on my way to sch and back. managed to bring it to sin ming to get it done.. cost me $600++ to change some part in the engine (can't remember what liao) + engine mounts.

maybe you're experiencing a similar problem?

Hi William,

Thanks for your info. I think mine is just some mounting problem, not the serious case which you've described above as my idling RPM is very constant :D Heng Ah.

Hi William,

Thanks for your info. I think mine is just some mounting problem, not the serious case which you've described above as my idling RPM is very constant :D Heng Ah.

welcome ben. glad to hear it isn't the "shake" disease... good luck to getting ur car done soon.