• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

19" rim setup for C200 Coupe 2016 W205

Patrick Quek

Hi folks,

Like to get some advice from experts here.

I've put on 19" for my C200 Coupe 2016 W205 - staggered setup.

Front: 235/35/R19 8.5 width

Rear: 255/30/R19 9.0 width

For some reason - the front right rim scratches the brake caliper.  The rim shop suggest to change the front rim/tyres to be the same as back (255/30/R19 9.0 width).

I would like to understand if having 9.0 width at the front is of any concern - seems like 8.5 is the recommended setup.

I am aware having the same for 4 wheels allows me to rotate.

I'm not sure switching from a staggered to non-staggered will make the front less "sporty" or not.

thanks for any advice in advance.

cheers!

U have picked the wrong rims.....on the wrong recommendations by the shop? It is even more wrong to recommend that the front be using the rear setup just to clear the front calipers....better to ask for a swop back to original rims & walk away.

Thanks all for your inputs and your guidance.

You are right - I tried replacing the front 2 tyres to be the same as the back 255//30/R19 with 9.0J ET45.

Though the front rims don't scratch the calipers now - I realise that the edge to edge (left of left tyre to right of right tyre) is wider at the front compared to the back - a 2.5cm difference or about 1".

I Guess that's why the recommended specs has a 1" width diff between back and front wheels.

Can someone point me to the official c200 w205 coupe tyre recommendations site from Mercedes? I don't seem to find it. I found the attached in one of the forums but can't validate if it's for the coupe.

Thanks all.

Thanks Mark for sharing.

Hi all,

I've gone to a few rim/tyre shops and am getting very different recommendations/suggestions - am rather confused actually and would like your inputs.

Current setup (original from Mercedes)

Front: 225/45/R18 - 7.5j x 18 ET44 (5X112)

Rear: 245/40/R18 - 8.5j x 18 ET49 (5x112)

The particular aftermarket rims i am look at to get are 8.0j / 9.0j with offset ET45 (same for front and rear) - i know for a fact that the front rim will not clear the brake caliper so i will need to possibly look at spacers if i want to use these rims.

1. Shop #1:  Cheng An Da (Lim)

• Advised that aftermarket rims its usually 8.5j / 9.5j - however if i use 9.5j for the C200 coupe, at high speeds the car will be "lowered" due to aerodynamics so not recommended to go 8.5j / 9.5j setup.  He has done this before for similar models and that's his experience.
  • Rim recommendation: 8.0j / 9.0j - however the offset for the aftermarket rims is ET45 for both front and back and i know already that the front rim will not clear the brake caliper therefore need to put spacers.  For spaces i can either use the universal ones or custom made ones at $30 per piece.  Its not clear whether i just need spacers for the front or for the rear as well
  • Tyre recommendation
    • Front:  235/35/R19
    • Rear:   255/30/R19

2. Shop #2: Top93

• Initially met with Ah Hua who recommended the following:
    • Rim recommendation:  8.0j / 9.0j rims ET45 with spacers - he says prob just 3-4mm spacer will do.  Just for the front.  He will setup and measure what is needed.  Rear may also need spacer.  They have the standard spacers and also HRG which is $120 per set (? not sure i got the name right - but its the original from Germany).  He said he never heard of 9.5j giving trouble at high speed (which is what shop #1 said)
    • Tyre recommendation:
      • Front:  235/35/R19 
      • Rear:   265/30/R19
  • ​​The boss Yang came along and spoke with him but he gave me a totally different set of recommendations!
    • Rim recommendation:  8.0j / 9.0j rims ET45 with 10mm spacers front and back
    • Type recommendation:
      • He said using Front: 235/35/R19 and Rear:255/30/R19 is undersized
      • He recommends the following with 10mm spacers. And to use the original Germany spacers only else not safe and it may rattle.  Also that the space cannot be 3-4mm too thin cannot hold the bolt.
        • Front: 225/35/R19
        • Rear: 255/30/R19

3. Shop #3 - Leong Seng (LS Tyres & Automotive) - Daniel

• Rims - never heard of issue of using 9.5j.  If using 8.0j / 9.0j need to use spacers.  Spacers quoted $280 custom comes with centre ring with nut 3mm
  • Tyres recommendation:
    • Front: 225/40/R19
    • Rear:  255/35/R19

I'm pretty confused after all the different setup the shops are recommending.  Am hoping if any bros can help shed some light on the following:

Q1) 8.0j / 9.0j with spacers vs 8.5j / 9.5j no spacers setup ?

• Would 8.0j / 9.0j with spacers be ok?  I'm concerned if going from 7.5j / 8.5j to 8.5j / 9.5j the rims/tyres will be much wider/more noisy/heavier

Q2) Is it ok to use spacers or should i avoid them?

Q3) "Proper setup" - must the edge-to-edge (measured from the extreme left of the left tyre to the extreme right of the right tyre) of the front tyres vs the rear tyres be the same so that it's always  a "rectangle?  If the front is wider or smaller than the rear - is that not ideal/recommended?

Q4) With all these different tyre size recommendations - what is correct configuration i should for this car so that the odometer is still measuring correctly? Should whatever is recommended be achieving the same height for the front and rear at the end of the day?

Sorry for the lengthy post - abit of information overload at the moment :)

Thanks bro for any advice in advance.

cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Current setup (original from Mercedes W205)

Front: 225/45/R18 - 7.5j x 18 ET44 (5X112)

Rear: 245/40/R18 - 8.5j x 18 ET49 (5x112)

New setup (ordering C63 rims)

Front: 245/40/R18 - 8.5j x 18 ET38 (5X112)

Rear: 265/40/R18 - 9.5j x 18 ET56 (5x112)

Do you guys think it would fit perfectly? Based on various offset calculator tools online, the inner sidewall to the suspension and frame for the rear is 0.68 inches closer, as compared to stock.