• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Drink Driving During Lunar New Year

g8crasher

I have received word from trusted authority that the roadblocks start early and end early in the morning throughout the CNY season. Please do not attempt to outsmart the drink driving catchers. You have been warned! Happy CNY!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest camelot

Dear All,

Happy Lunar New Year !!!

Anyway... I have this question that has been on my mind for a while and don't seems to have the right answer to. Anybody want to give it a try to answer it ? Any lawyers here can give a bit of legal advice as well. It's just food for thought and a scenario... don't think anybody daring (or dumb) enough to do so.

If you drink and drive... and you saw a road block ahead. As you approaching the police officer, you turn off the car and step out. You take a new can of beer (or a bottle of beer, or a bottle of hard liquor) and you started downing the whole can or whole bottle. The police officer approach you and ask why you do so, you claim whenever you see police officer you panic and you will start to drink.

Firstly, since your car engine is off and you have step out of the car, technically you are not drink driving (despite the fact that you were drinking earlier), and you do not have intention to drive home yourself after the drink. I am not sure whether the police can pin driving under influence of alcohol on you or not, secondly, it's not public nuisance either, since you weren't rowdy and lastly, police cannot charge you with obstruction of police duties (neither are you challenging the police officer), since they cannot prove in the first place you drink and drive. By the time they bring you into the station, the alcohol would have absorb into your blood stream and your lungs, therefore, any test on you will not be useful.

In this situation, are you able to get away without being incriminated and get someone to drive you home ? Hmmmm

-Ed

hi ed,

if i was the police officer, this is wat i would do.

1. fine him for illegal parking

2. bring him down to the hospital for blood test to check his alcohol level. even if he passed tat, it will ruin his whole nite.

hehehehehehehe

Add on from Sy reply......

Strip your car seat, carpet and almost everything......suspect you of trafficking drug.

Add on......

Fall down myself as i walk away from you....claiming that you assaulted me.......

Last.........

NO TROUBLE NO FIND TROUBLE........

Dear All,

Happy Lunar New Year !!!

Anyway... I have this question that has been on my mind for a while and don't seems to have the right answer to. Anybody want to give it a try to answer it ? Any lawyers here can give a bit of legal advice as well. It's just food for thought and a scenario... don't think anybody daring (or dumb) enough to do so.

If you drink and drive... and you saw a road block ahead. As you approaching the police officer, you turn off the car and step out. You take a new can of beer (or a bottle of beer, or a bottle of hard liquor) and you started downing the whole can or whole bottle. The police officer approach you and ask why you do so, you claim whenever you see police officer you panic and you will start to drink.

Firstly, since your car engine is off and you have step out of the car, technically you are not drink driving (despite the fact that you were drinking earlier), and you do not have intention to drive home yourself after the drink. I am not sure whether the police can pin driving under influence of alcohol on you or not, secondly, it's not public nuisance either, since you weren't rowdy and lastly, police cannot charge you with obstruction of police duties (neither are you challenging the police officer), since they cannot prove in the first place you drink and drive. By the time they bring you into the station, the alcohol would have absorb into your blood stream and your lungs, therefore, any test on you will not be useful.

In this situation, are you able to get away without being incriminated and get someone to drive you home ? Hmmmm

-Ed

he can always bring u to take a blood test. if you're over the limit, it doesnt matter whether you are driving at the point he stopped you. he saw u driving, and so did the other officers.

you'll go down.. this kind of thing.. dun play play...

Guest camelot

sillywilly ]

Dear All,

Happy Lunar New Year !!!

Anyway... I have this question that has been on my mind for a while and don' wrote:

he can always bring u to take a blood test. if you're over the limit, it doesnt matter whether you are driving at the point he stopped you. he saw u driving, and so did the other officers.

you'll go down.. this kind of thing.. dun play play...

Actually the blood test will be useless as he drank in front of the officer. The question is can the police officer prove that he was drinking before (driving under the influence of alcohol up to the point of road block). I think technically cannot be proven.

But the again... he can be slap with all sorts of other charges (not sure what) but definitely something.

Anyway... this is just a silly suggestion by a lawyer friend over a drink. Not too concern... don't think anybody will be silly enough to try it.

-Ed

Actually the blood test will be useless as he drank in front of the officer. The question is can the police officer prove that he was drinking before (driving under the influence of alcohol up to the point of road block). I think technically cannot be proven.

But the again... he can be slap with all sorts of other charges (not sure what) but definitely something.

Anyway... this is just a silly suggestion by a lawyer friend over a drink. Not too concern... don't think anybody will be silly enough to try it.

-Ed

it won't be useless.. one can of beer will roughly = X-much of % in ur blood alcohol level, if ur BAL is over X-much, you must have consumed alcohol before stopping ur vehicle and consuming that can of beer.

so long as he SAW you step out of the drivers door, he has the right to detain you. u may be able to give all sort of reasons, but you can't run from a cop...

police officer dun need to have physical proof that you were driving the vehicle... judge will ask you this - "do you know the officer personally?" & "does the officer know you personally?" if both answers are no, whose side will the judge take? this is singapore afterall, and everyone - "must follow law" :P

yup, i know this is just a causal suggestion, but in the interests of humoring ourselves, why not carry it on? who knows, it might have legal context in the future..

Fyi, the traffic police will not ask you to step out of the car until you blow the breath analyser, after that they will ask you to step out of the car if you failed the test.

Dear All,

Happy Lunar New Year !!!

-Ed

my take...

He will accompany you until u drive off... or ask u to remove your car for being a road obstruction or positioning your car in a manner obstructing a police operation or... aiyo possibility is endless lor...

Guest SgLaKsa

I have a better suggestion to avoid all those possible charges (Just for humor). If you see a road block, get out of your car and RUN. Get home as fast as you can before your neighbourhood police officers knock on your door. Change to your sleeping attire and mess up your hair. When the police officers come to look for the owner of the abandon '3 Pointed Star', act shock and shout at them at the top of your voice "HUH! My Mercedes was Stolen??? Aren't you policemen suppose to protect life and PROPERTY??? How can you let this happen??? Now bring my Mercedes back to me immediately." :bootyshake:

Aren't you policemen suppose to protect life and PROPERTY??? How can you let this happen??? Now bring my Mercedes back to me immediately." :bootyshake:

e232f9ba-3993-4e9c-94ff-fca6ffefeb74.jpg

policeman - "you think we security guard to guard ur car?!?!"

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Guest camelot

I have a better suggestion to avoid all those possible charges (Just for humor). If you see a road block, get out of your car and RUN. Get home as fast as you can before your neighbourhood police officers knock on your door. Change to your sleeping attire and mess up your hair. When the police officers come to look for the owner of the abandon '3 Pointed Star', act shock and shout at them at the top of your voice "HUH! My Mercedes was Stolen??? Aren't you policemen suppose to protect life and PROPERTY??? How can you let this happen??? Now bring my Mercedes back to me immediately." :bootyshake:

That's funny