• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

In-car camera

41 minutes ago, winks said:

Hi nutty. 

I contacted mr Leong but his installation states that the iroad will be powered via the lighter socket? Can I check if it was the same for you thanks!!

No leh. You connected the cam to the fuse box. Strange that he mentioned lighter socket. Perhaps you can call to clarify again? iRoad v9 right?

Would like to hear from those who installed a battery pack to power the camera when the car is parked and the engine ignition is switched off.  

Was told that we can use those mobile phone power banks to power the camera while the car is parked.  

Thanks for the replies. 

Just spoke to me leong again and it's definitely NOT to the fuse box because "to connect to fuse box need to know exactly where to connect". (Or so he said somewhat). 

He connects it to the lighter socket but not externally... Internally. So much so that the iroad retains its driving and parking mode functions even when the car is shut down. 

He says it works fine. Just wondering if those who did it with him got the same method of installation. 

Once the ignition key is switched off, the power to the lighter socket will be cut off too.

So I am guessing that the iRoad has an internal battery built-in?

3 hours ago, winks said:

He connects it to the lighter socket but not externally... Internally.

I wonder how that is done?

3 hours ago, winks said:

Thanks for the replies. 

Just spoke to me leong again and it's definitely NOT to the fuse box because "to connect to fuse box need to know exactly where to connect". (Or so he said somewhat). 

He connects it to the lighter socket but not externally... Internally. So much so that the iroad retains its driving and parking mode functions even when the car is shut down. 

He says it works fine. Just wondering if those who did it with him got the same method of installation. 

If you have already installed, enjoy your new toy. :-) If not, maybe can try other installer. 

Mine is connected to a free socket in the fuse box. Power is always avaliable even after engine is off, hence the power management is left to iRoad to manage.

There is no need to dismantle anything, that's the good thing. 

23 minutes ago, PearlJam said:

Once the ignition key is switched off, the power to the lighter socket will be cut off too.

So I am guessing that the iRoad has an internal battery built-in?

I wonder how that is done?

I would run the wire around the perimeter of the windscreen down to the legroom, open up the side panel below the centre console and tap a wire from there.