• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

manual W124

Guest eokh

will you buy a manual 1989 W124 ?? its a 8V model

i am worried about parts availability ... however, i am also worried about the reliability of a autobox for a 16V

dont know which is the lesser of 2 evils.

headache !!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manual W124 is Rare in the Market and is more Fun driving it. More abit headache with our City Jams. :)

W124 Parts is widely available. Don't Worry. Any Spare Parts can get it from PAS Auto @ Sin Ming. :thumbsup:

if i get the manual, i will hv to keep our auto jipun chia also

its just that i still hv that 'itch' in me to drive a manual

prev drove 3 manuals for more than 10yrs... no issue w handling manual even in city traffic

great to know parts are still avail...

thanks and cheerios bros !! what would i do w/o yr kind advices

Guest mr w124

Checked out the ad on sgcarmart. its a 5 spd which is not really common. my understanding is that most manual boxes were 4 spd. having said that, a 5 spd box would prob give u better consumption i guess. n u wont need to worry abt trans overhaul n transmission vakve bodies breaking n stuff like that. i would go for it. prob is our fantastic jams. but a manual 124..... i would love to drive that. maybe i'll go down for a test drive.

Guest mr w124

I know that a spd gearbox exists but not sure if its for the 124. Then again, i wouldn't put it past these dealers to play a trick with words. Or maybe they really dont know what 5 spd means.

i did talk to the dealer on the phone and here are my thoughts

1. his england is not very powderful ... i dont think its about that 4fwd1rev vs 5fwd gear thing

2. i seriously find his price ridiculous

reason is that he has yet to renew the PQP.... which costs about 4 to 6k right now.

And he sounds quite unflexible on the price ... which means he is easily looking at a 8 to 10k profit if you dont nego hard enough

Upzz For the Rare Manual W124.

I have seen the Manual W124 personally. Confirm is a 5 Speed Manual with reverse gear. With new paintwork. very clean interior.

It is from C&C.

I got a copy of the car Chassis No or Vin No. WDB1240212B020085. You can check the website

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

at only $1.8k Depreciation Yearly to drive a Mercedes, its considered reasonable already. You see those COE till 2011, they are asking for $3k+ Depreciation.

Why bother how much dealer make profit out of the car. Thats their capability. The dealers is also making a living. as for english not good, speak chinese or dialect also can. ;D

Cheers ;D

Lyebin bro

wat you said do make sense ... dont get me wrong.

i am hokkian peng myself, graduate of University of Life. I have no difficulty communicating w peeps from all walks of life

the reason for my grouse is that the W124, PQP is 6k, selling for 18K

over the past few days, I had also sourced a E34 BMW 520 (sorry, i know this is a Merc forum, so dont bash me pls), recently renewed PQP at 12k for the next 9.5 years, selling for 18K also

in the event of total loss, i stand to lose more $$ on the W124 than compared to the E34

and thanks for doing the legwork to go view the car... i might stop by targore lane tmrw also

(dont even start about why i should fly down and take the bimmer immediately..... thats another story for another day)

bro, no worries ;D

In the event of total loss, at most to most we only lose is $18k+

you think about some bros here who bought Brand New Mercedes, with COE Value only $2k or now $200, they only get back Omv Rebates + miserable Coe rebates. I am not sure whether Insurance company will go by compensating at "market value" ?

Sometimes people talk about Paper+body, why nobody ask Brand new car agent, For example, E Class Why OMV is $50k + COE Value, why they are selling at $140K, meaning car body is $90K ?

haha. ;D

bro, no worries ;D

In the event of total loss, at most to most we only lose is $18k+

you think about some bros here who bought Brand New Mercedes, with COE Value only $2k or now $200, they only get back Omv Rebates + miserable Coe rebates. I am not sure whether Insurance company will go by compensating at "market value" ?

Sometimes people talk about Paper+body, why nobody ask Brand new car agent, For example, E Class Why OMV is $50k + COE Value, why they are selling at $140K, meaning car body is $90K ?

haha. ;D

chop carrot lor ... :punk1:

opps!!! cheers bro !!

Check OMV here - http://app.lta.gov.sg/motoring_vo_omv.asp

Check PARF Rebate here - http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/de_register_a_vehicle/PARF_COE_Rebates.html

Breakdown Before Vehicle Hits The Showroom

--------------------------------------------

OMV - Cost of veh incl freight and handling charges or CIF as assessed by Customs

Customs Duty - 20% of OMV

Reg Fee -$140

Additional Reg Fee - 100% of OMV

COE - Price at press time

Add The Following

-----------------

Cost of advertising -

Cash buffer for haggling -

Salespersons commission - for every hot chick that convinces you, add 20% more commission

Storage cost (if applicable) -

Workshop tie up cost -

It makes alot of sense to shop with reputable PIs like First Automobile because it doesn't make any more sense to pay an extra $10-20k more at the authorized dealer (assuming OMV costs and equipment levels are the same). Service and support is alot better from PIs these days as compared with a couple of years ago. I think most of us have been through the circuit with authorized distributors and frankly the type of nonsensical labour costs involved with changing a simple light bulb really puts people off.

not only the labor costs are absurd.... the cow-poo that those so called service advisors pit out is abhorrent as well

went down to targore today ... unfortunately the shop was closed and the car wasnt there.

haiz... wasted petrol

:angry3:

• 2 months later...
Guest alfaman

hi there

The car is still available @ tagore.

7 owners prior. The previous owner address is available on the log-card. :)

I was only there for 10 mins. Sat and fiddled with the gears. Yes, this is a rare 5-manual.

• 2 weeks later...

I am guessing the manual W124 is the one on this ad?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=36104&DL=1130

Any bro/sis here have gone down and viewed the vehicle? How is the condition? Seems like the vehicle had 7 owners previously which does not bode well. But I do like driving manuals and the price is cheap especially with a new COE or am I mistaken?

Cheers!

I think so too but concerned about the condition of the vehicle and what to look out for!

Can I offer a lunch (budget lah..I not printing moolah) to any W124 expert who is willing to view the car with me and advise accordingly? :)

manual gearbox r easy and cheap to repair. even our 124 auto boxes r easy to do so gearbox is not an issue. for the abovementioned manual w124 just check if the body is in alignment and the rust condition of it.