• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Keep W221 beyond 10 yrs

mike9956

with the MAS new loan rule and more people extending their COE, i doubt the COE price will fall much further.

Don't forget those uber are still aggressively buying new cars.

You can probably monitor closely since you have more than 6 months to expiry.

For me, I just paid last week at $51k to extend 10 years, even though my expiry is year end. If I extend today based on Aug PQP, it will be $54k already. So 1 week difference i save 3k.

Worst case scenario, PQP drop to 40k by year end and i lose $11k, But my guess is highly unlikely to happen

• Like 1

Does QBE Or Optima provides 10 yrs old extended warranty ? May I know the price ?

What is your desirable PQP price in Dec. ?  or rather you deemed as fair value ?.

My extension trigger price is below $50k before Mar. 17. 

Cheers...mike

I was quoted a discount of $1k if i were to opt out of the QBE extended warranty.

That was for a 9yr E200k and the salesman told me upfront that the odometer would be adjusted to below 180k to qualify for the warranty.

According to the salesman, QBE coverage is better then Optima and they do extended warranty for any cars less then 10yrs old.

QBE can only be bought by dealers and the warranty covers basically everything and is a good protection for both dealer and buyer.

Well, the way i was looking at it....seems more protection for the dealer (lemon law) then any benefits to the buyer.

My opinion,

The car needs to pass a STA inspection in order to qualify for the warranty, therefore, it's prove of "defects free"

I presumed, after collection and if any problem surfaced will be considered "wasn't their fault" or faults shall be taken as wear & tear. 

If so, will the insurance company still foot the bill for the repairs?

Although the salesman was trying hard to explain / convince me.... it just doesn't make sense....(in the end, never bought from them)

Perhaps any Owner here got any experiences before to share ?

Good day to all !

Thanks for sharing. I have my reservation on any party that tempers with the odometer (integrity) and has no control over the change parts. I heard several horror story on 'warranty' workshops that used re-con parts or cheap non-specs parts. Of course, not all are bad apple. This is a good platform to share the good apples from the bad.  

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, AH SOH said:

Hi mike9956,

sorry to revive the conversation. Did you extend your COE in the end? I am considering a W221 for extension as well.

Any comments on the reliability after 10 years? And the maintenance cost?

Thanks!

I think mike sold his or about to in 1 month or so.....I am interested to hear from those planning to renew

On 28/08/2017 at 2:13 PM, AH SOH said:

Hi mike9956,

sorry to revive the conversation. Did you extend your COE in the end? I am considering a W221 for extension as well.

Any comments on the reliability after 10 years? And the maintenance cost?

Thanks!

I spent close to $15k on various repair on the 9th year.

Fingered out might as well extend COE since a lot of parts has been changed and the car is now almost "new"

Never regretted so far since I extended

58 minutes ago, AH SOH said:

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Interested to understand if other owners faces the same problem? If anyone kept it beyond 10 years and still maintaining it well?

Not yet renew, still got some time. But spend a few K on replacing lower arms and bushing for front wheels - wear and tear stuffs. Other than no failure as of now (hoping for the best).  

Hi dchum,

How long have you owned your W221 for? Wear and tear issues are inevitable I guess? Great that you do not have any major failure.

Read about the engine problem for 2007 and 2008 model. Is it common? Have you encountered it?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, AH SOH said:

Hi dchum,

How long have you owned your W221 for? Wear and tear issues are inevitable I guess? Great that you do not have any major failure.

Read about the engine problem for 2007 and 2008 model. Is it common? Have you encountered it?

Owned it for about a year or two. Mercs including S class are not immune to the usual wear and tear. Even failure of airmatics are considered wear and tear. But yeah like the other forumers mentioned, some control modules in Mercs in general do fail every now and then, which is expensive to repair, but definitely last longer than those in BMWs

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, mike9956 said:

Hi dchum, good day

What was the symptom or display error message that convinced you to replace the front lower arm and wheel bushing  ?

Appreciate your sharing ...cheers mike

Its the creaking noise when you go over hump...you can live with it for a while, so you can always delay for one service interval or so. But if you are hard on humps then probably may not last, and just hope the rubber don't completely disintegrate, then you will hear clanking sound ( I never reached this stage)

Just sold my S350L to the scrap yard after her ECU failed a 2nd time. Overall, very comfortable car to drive in. Sure sad to have to let her go.

To date, have spent an average of $4-6K per annual on maintaining her.

1 hour ago, dyeeng said:

Just sold my S350L to the scrap yard after her ECU failed a 2nd time. Overall, very comfortable car to drive in. Sure sad to have to let her go.

To date, have spent an average of $4-6K per annual on maintaining her.

That is quite a lot considering yours it hasn't pass the 10 year mark. So what's next? W222?

6 hours ago, dchum said:

That is quite a lot considering yours it hasn't pass the 10 year mark. So what's next? W222?

I'm waiting for the COE to crash...just got a 2009 S350L with S65 AMG body-kit.

Not a full-option ride but reasonably well. Needs quite a bit of doing up...

5 hours ago, mike9956 said:

By the way, did you managed to get above PARF $3-5k for the body when you scrapped ?

Cheers...mike

Got $5k above "paper". But sad to let this full-option bae go leh..

16 hours ago, dyeeng said:

I'm waiting for the COE to crash...just got a 2009 S350L with S65 AMG body-kit.

Not a full-option ride but reasonably well. Needs quite a bit of doing up...

Don't mine my asking...did you got it direct from owner  or dealer. What is the indicative price and which month in 2009 ?. My S300L due for scrap in Dec and looking for a 2009 S300Lreplacement. Like to know the  market price.  Thanks...mike chan

6 hours ago, mike9956 said:

Don't mine my asking...did you got it direct from owner  or dealer. What is the indicative price and which month in 2009 ?. My S300L due for scrap in Dec and looking for a 2009 S300Lreplacement. Like to know the  market price.  Thanks...mike chan

Got it for $16k depre per year, from a dealer. Regn Jun 2009.

Just that needed quite a bit of house keeping and minor repairs, which I estimate costs about $2-3k thou...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also interested to know how feasible is it to keep the W221 beyond 10yrs. Mine now and then will here spoil there spoil. Not as robust as an e-class, but after spending so much on repairs....i'm torn if i should keep it or not as there might be many more components to spoil.

So far replaced this year, SAM unit, Suspension Control Unit, Airmatic pump, airmatic valve block, Front Shocks, Front Lower Arm, Brakes, Radiator, Vaccum Pump, Oil Cooler, Rear Oil Seal.

Things which might spoil soon : Transmission Control Unit or/and valve body

I am sure it is a hard choice to make. If it is me, I would renew as already spent so much (I guess about $20k).if mileage is above 160,000, better to scrap, chances are more items (like engine and  transmission overhaul, drive belts/pulley/aircon/alternator would seek your attention. Particularly, electronic in our hot and humid environ are trouble-maker. It is common to see rubber insulator on wirings inside headlight assembly melted due to heat.

I think it is worth to send your w221 to a professional workshop or C&C to evaluate whether it is fit to extend

Cheers 

I have spent 25k from my 7th to 10th year of ownership. And you're right, I decided to renew coe since I already spent so much and all the old expensive parts changed are now brand new. It should last another 10 years.

And my previous old E class clocked about 500,000 km . So merc can usually last long. Imagine in Europe average usage is about 30 to 40k km a year and many keep their cars beyond 10 years. 

Unless u get a brand new S class, getting another 2nd hand car you never know what's going to change next. So stick to the one that u been changing out so many parts, at least u know those parts that is changed will likely last a long time

• Like 1