• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Satellite-based ERP system will be ready in 2020

winterfly

The winning bid for the next-generation Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) System — to be developed for S$556 million from the second quarter of this year — has been awarded to the consortium of NCS and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Engine System Asia, announced the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Explaining the rationale for switching to a new system using satellite positioning technology at a media briefing Thursday (Feb 25), LTA chief executive Chew Men Leong said that the current ERP system is nearly two decades old, and would become increasingly expensive and difficult to maintain. Implementing more physical gantries was impractical in a land scarce Singapore.

The new system overcomes the constraints of “costly” physical gantries, and will allow the authorities to have greater flexibility in managing traffic congestion.

“At the same time, this next-generation ERP system can also provide a platform where we can provide and develop useful value-added services that can bring greater convenience to motorists, as well as to manage incidents on the road,” said Mr Chew. “(These) include the provision of real-time location-based traffic information to facilitate route planning, as well as automated paying mode for various services such as roadside parking and off-peak car usage.”

When the next system is implemented in 2020, the current In-Vehicle Unit (IU) will be replaced by an On-Board Unit (OBU) – with a one-time replacement cost for Singapore-registered vehicles being borne by the government. Motorists will be scheduled to have their existing IU changed during an 18-month migration period.

Motorists will also have the option of front-end payment via CEPAS cards or backend payment using credit cards, virtual cards or GIRO.

The authorities will also look at implementing distance-based pricing after the next-generation ERP becomes operational, although no timeline for this has been set.

Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky.

I am the eye in the sky
Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules
Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind
And I don't need to see anymore
To know that 
I can read your mind (Looking At You), 
I can read your mind

Very idea system for LTA..No need cisco to take photo at bus lane, tp to spy cam, parking attendants...

One system capture all. Like credit card... Receiving bill every month end... Parking, demerit pts, summons,CBD,etc...

Maybe its time to remove COE?

Car ownership already near impossible for most ppl..now even worse..

Very idea system for LTA..No need cisco to take photo at bus lane, tp to spy cam, parking attendants...

One system capture all. Like credit card... Receiving bill every month end... Parking, demerit pts, summons,CBD,etc...

Maybe its time to remove COE?

Car ownership already near impossible for most ppl..now even worse..

if can vote, i will vote against for sure...

Hopefully

This latest system also capture the road hogging vehicles on expressway.

Now CTE morning peak hours always have slow moving vans and Lorry packed with FW traveling at their speed limit on lane 2. Many vehicles have to overtake them from left and right

Victoria Concordia Crescit

Translation: Victory grows out of harmony.

Hopefully

This latest system also capture the road hogging vehicles on expressway.

Now CTE morning peak hours always have slow moving vans and Lorry packed with FW traveling at their speed limit on lane 2. Many vehicles have to overtake them from left and right

Road Hogging.... Distance and Time Based pricing?? Lol

Road Hogging.... Distance and Time Based pricing?? Lol

Why would you want to eliminate road hogging???

Road hoggers slow down the average speed.

Once the average speeds drop, ERP must be implemented to 'smooth out and improve traffic speed'.

:D  :D  :D

This will include parking. No more need for coupons or gantry.

Once you stop your car in a lot, after a set time, say 3 minutes, the parking charges start!!

Where you go, etc . . it is monitored! 24/7.

Frankly, I think all this technology and cost is a great whitewash.

If the reason is to control vehicle population, we have CoE (which I think is another whitewash).

If the reason is to limit vehicle ownership, increase the taxes - import tax, road tax, etc.

But, whatever, if I can still afford a car then, I will disable my OBU.

I really don't want anyone else to know that I went to Bedok for nasi lemak for breakfast, parked at Toa Payoh at noon, etc etc.

However, if by then, the public transport is so good such that there is a real alternative, we do not need such methods to curb vehicle growth.

Look at Hong Kong.  Do you think they do not have such problems too? They solved it differently.  Not many in HK feel a need to own a vehicle now.

Look at Sydney.  The CBD is not jampacked with cars during office hours.  Why? Expensive and lack of parking. Trains, buses and ferries are efficient and convenient.  If you live far in the outlying suburbs, you drive to the train station, park there and take a train into the CBD.  What congestion? Solved! No need ERP, satellite whatever.  That $556 million can buy a lot of buses and perhaps another MRT line? 

Distance-based pricing using this expensive technology? No need.  Just raise the petrol tax!!  You want to drive more, you want a huge useless SUV to drive on flat Singapore urban roads, you want a 4 litre sports car with a noisy exhaust to show off, you will use more petrol so you pay.  That in itself is distance-based taxation.

ERP to control congestion?  There is ERP in the late evenings going HOME on the CTE! There is ERP on Saturday afternoons getting OUT of Shenton Way.  Why? Let there be traffic congestion, we are not in a hurry to get into office by 9am.

Do they really want you all to stop owning cars?  Think about it.  The answer is NO.  They still want you to own cars . . but they want you to pay a lot for it!  It is revenue!  No money no honey.  Can't afford a car? B-M-W and suck it!  (B-M-W = Bus, MRT, Walk!)

Singapore is a small compact metropolis.  Perfect for electric cars but there is no real incentive.   Perfect for car-sharing co-ops.  But these never took off.

• Like 3

This will include parking. No more need for coupons or gantry.

Once you stop your car in a lot, after a set time, say 3 minutes, the parking charges start!!

Where you go, etc . . it is monitored! 24/7.

Frankly, I think all this technology and cost is a great whitewash.

If the reason is to control vehicle population, we have CoE (which I think is another whitewash).

If the reason is to limit vehicle ownership, increase the taxes - import tax, road tax, etc.

But, whatever, if I can still afford a car then, I will disable my OBU.

I really don't want anyone else to know that I went to Bedok for nasi lemak for breakfast, parked at Toa Payoh at noon, etc etc.

However, if by then, the public transport is so good such that there is a real alternative, we do not need such methods to curb vehicle growth.

Look at Hong Kong. Do you think they do not have such problems too? They solved it differently. Not many in HK feel a need to own a vehicle now.

Look at Sydney. The CBD is not jampacked with cars during office hours. Why? Expensive and lack of parking. Trains, buses and ferries are efficient and convenient. If you live far in the outlying suburbs, you drive to the train station, park there and take a train into the CBD. What congestion? Solved! No need ERP, satellite whatever. That $556 million can buy a lot of buses and perhaps another MRT line?

Distance-based pricing using this expensive technology? No need. Just raise the petrol tax!! You want to drive more, you want a huge useless SUV to drive on flat Singapore urban roads, you want a 4 litre sports car with a noisy exhaust to show off, you will use more petrol so you pay. That in itself is distance-based taxation.

ERP to control congestion? There is ERP in the late evenings going HOME on the CTE! There is ERP on Saturday afternoons getting OUT of Shenton Way. Why? Let there be traffic congestion, we are not in a hurry to get into office by 9am.

Do they really want you all to stop owning cars? Think about it. The answer is NO. They still want you to own cars . . but they want you to pay a lot for it! It is revenue! No money no honey. Can't afford a car? B-M-W and suck it! (B-M-W = Bus, MRT, Walk!)

Singapore is a small compact metropolis. Perfect for electric cars but there is no real incentive. Perfect for car-sharing co-ops. But these never took off.

Well said, bro!

We can only rant our hearts out here in the forum!

End of the day, no choice LL pay to use the roads!