• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Car failed me on eve of CNY

ckcorona

My e200k w211 broke down on eve of new year after I did a TB cleaning. Initially, Engine sounded rough and response was slow. Decided to remove the TB to clean since I did it before 20k km ago. But after fixing up and crank, the car esp came up n rpm goes up n down around 1.2-1.8k non stop.. Even if start up is ok, once u put to d mode and drive for a few hundred meters, esp warning came up, abs fail, car went into limp mode, cel came up and accelerator pedal no response, have to off and restart the car. Able to travel another few hundred meter before limp mode kicks in. Now worst, restart n move off a few meters limp again. Gave up, now no car.

1st Suspect: TB as it's what I removed n cleaned and in fact the work shop did highlight that there's some TB fault registered earlier. Did a so called reset for the throttle n gear learnt from Internet, no use.

2nd suspect: MAF sensor. Was told maybe the fumes of the cleaner contaminated the sensor. Change air filter also dun work. So fed up that I sprayed 3m carb cleaner (stated sensor safe) and tried revving the car hard. It did help for abt 6km without hiccups. But after that, same issue. Worst if car was restart after a while.

Need help on which tow company at affordable price?

Which workshop opens earliest date?

Possible to salvage a used TB from scrap yard? since car left 2yrs 4mths and also tight budget.

Xbtl coz need to go back Msia to visit in law and also visiting during this period.

Any input or suggestion are welcome. Now totally lost the festive mood. Sian ah!

• Like 1

I don't think TB is the problem as its a mechanical device.

You need to literally strip & clean the MAF. See the YouTube for kompressor M271 MAF cleaning. Spraying carb cleaner is not effective.

Really slap myself in the face, workshop on reopens on 15 and stuck with no ride for more than a wk. tried spraying with 3m contact cleaner on the pcb n dc motor side but still limping.

Kept hearing the buzzing of the dc motor in the throttle body and occasional clicking when turn key to on position. Is this normal?

Got it tow to the workshop on 15 Feb when they reopens. Yup, it's the TB that is faulty. Got a new replacement and car back to normal. Total damage 610 bucks include tow, labor and parts

Don't think you'll be DIY cleaning your TB anytime soon. Heh...

Don't think you'll be DIY cleaning your TB anytime soon. Heh...

Will just leave it alone. Anyway I think the TB dying anyway but I took out and expedited its death. Since change new, should be able to last till car scrap.

no fault code triggered thru out the whole time the TB was acting up ?

Car went limp mode, engine heck lights up, esp, abs acts up. Too many codes for them to clear. But b4 I dismantled, fault code registered was the TB. That's why diy to clean it; more like killed it

Car went limp mode, engine heck lights up, esp, abs acts up. Too many codes for them to clear. But b4 I dismantled, fault code registered was the TB. That's why diy to clean it; more like killed it

Wow ... must be shocking to see so many codes .. I changed my TB before but due to other reason ..