• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Side mirrors tilt down when reverse

wheelslover

• 1 month later...

Hi wheelslover

I think you might. the earlier post is missing a couple of steps.

Its the same procedure for mercs from as early as 2005

a)  Push button to activate adjustment of left mirror on the driver door (red led on...) and Set transmission to reverse.

B) your b class would tell you that left mirror is selected for adjustment by lighting up a red LED on the button.

while in Reverse gear and this red LED on, use the circular 4 way button and adjust the mirror to the position you want it to 

tilt to. I.e. next time you select reverse, the mirror will move to this position. 

c) once you like what you see (like the left road curb), press and hold the left mirror activate adjustment for like 10 secs. 

this is believably to store the tilt mirror position. [not sure if your really need this step but it worked for my 2015 b180]

d) now set transmission to D and the mirror should tilt back in the next 15 secs. (not immediately) you can drive off first and check later.

the reason why it will take 15 secs is because it assume you still be parking and might go into reverse in the next few seconds so better don't tilt back

up first so as not to keep going up and down.

e) Every time you want the mirror to tilt down in Reverse gear, make sure the left adjustment button is "on" {ie red LED lighted]

This feature usually comes with the memory package so even if it doesn't work, you can just use the seat memory recall to move the mirrors back in position.  Only problem is you have to manually tilt it every time you get into reverse. My wife does that all the time when sometimes merc electronics get iffy and not return to original position.

Yes...You may not need it all the time especially like you mention the reverse cam but the cam doesn't indicate the left side curb very well. I use it to avoid scratching my brand new rims against the curbs or creating knock blisters on the tires.

hope this works out for you...

your sales exec did not set it for you when you collected?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My mirrors started acting up after the warranty ended.  Sometimes it doesn't go back to the original position after tilting down in reverse gear.

On a few occasions, it worked after I sprayed lubricating oil liberally.  I think perhaps this should be a regular maintenance thing to do?  Spray WD40 behind the glass?

My mirrors started acting up after the warranty ended. Sometimes it doesn't go back to the original position after tilting down in reverse gear.

On a few occasions, it worked after I sprayed lubricating oil liberally. I think perhaps this should be a regular maintenance thing to do? Spray WD40 behind the glass?

Pearljam, ..the motor needs some 'stretching exercise'. Try moving (via the control ) the mirror to the max in all 4 (North/SOUTH/ E/W) directions, then press the memory button to return , and now try the reverse gear.

Need to repeat this a few times over couple of days...

Pearljam,

Unfortunately they do act up. I have had 2 mercs and they acted up on me.

sometimes its not the mechanism fault. for example, some one knock your mirror out of place and 

the mechanism lost its alignment and like doesn't what position it is in.

I would do the "Stretching" exercise Jtang recommended to get the mechanisms back in sync.