• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Wipers went dead in heavy rain

MGA180S

Hi, wanted to share a incident that i experienced this afternoon during the heavy downpour. Was driving in the rain at speed of 60km-70km on the extreme right lane just before hitting the expressway when the wipers just went dead suddenly (was on auto mode and working fine when I started the journey which have already started raining). Visibililty was extremely low with the wipers not moving and I have to on my hazard lights and crawl my car to the left side of the road (with a long trails of vehicles behind) before stopping just below a flyover. Was not a good feeling seeing cars and buses behind travelling at high speed and slowing down adruptly via your rear view mirror. Did a few engine re-starts and even tried switching to non-auto mode and doing the manual long press of the button with the spray but did not manage to get the wipers to work. Only after 5-10 mins and after 3-4 engine re-starts, did it started to work again. Ride is only 3+ months old. This is an extremely dangerous incident and I think that it will be good to share in case mine is not an isolated incident. Fortunately I have not hit the expressway which I am about to enter. Can't imagine hitting the expressway at higher speed (90km) with heavy rain at night and the wipers just go dead.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be going down to cnc to check this coming week since they have already closed yesterday. But i doubt they can diagnose anything since it is working now. Not a electrical expert here but wonder if the motor of the wipers will overheat at high speed and fail while on auto mode and only start again after cooling down (Btw, i have only been started my journey for under 20 mins). For me, i do not have many chances to use the wipers very often as i have not have many encounters driving in heavy downpours since i collected the car. But i think this is a serious safety issue.

Would suggest u plug in a car cam bro.

So that when driving and rain can record down if happen again.

I did have a car cam but with 16gb, the duration of the incident was unfortunately over-written. Did not occur to me at that point to remove the sd card. Only remember at the end of the day after some driving back home. But certainly, it greatly reduced my confidence in driving in heavy rain in future, you never know when it will happen again and the consequences can be serious when visibility is low and you are not able to see the road markings clearly.

Hi all, just to provide an update on this. Sent in my car for checks at C&C and collected my car last week. Service advisor mentioned that they did found some error in the diagnosis check and did a software update, hopefully same issue will not happen again. I also did a check on my earlier mentioned issue of the front windscreen frosting up after parking at night and was updated that later YOM A class (mine is 2015); the blowers will operate for some time even after engine off, reasons given was that there was previous complaints of particles sticking to the blowers after engine off, this function will get ride of the smell and particles. Also like to comment that the service of C&C service centre (Pandan Loop) is pretty good and professional.