• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New tyres front or back?

Guest Jedi88knight

Guest Jedi88knight

Am sure some of you ave seen this...but no harm as a reminder i guess

The best is to change all four tyres together but if two only, then put them at the back

(contrary to what our local tyre shop guys are telling us !)

The video below will show u why u must always put the new tyes on the rear wheels.

On wet roads, the new tyres at the rear of the car will prevent its tail from spinning because of better grip in the rear n hence ensure higher driving safety.

Heed this advice seriously

Where to put the new tires? watch this video from Michelin.

It advises to put the new tires always in the rear

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-basics/reartire-change/

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops... thot it was general knowledge all along.

But do note that putting balder tyres in the front will increase understeer. Dangerous when wet doing higher spd cornering.

Remember Merc cars are designed to understeer on equal tyre grip.

However, newer tyres for the front may be the case for FF cars.

Hmm... just watched the Michelin video and ending credits talk abt FF cars... hmmm...

than if AWD/4WD how? Where? :surrender:

Our merc except A/B class are FR, so mostly if want to change only 2, than must put newer ones at the rear.

Last time my jap car which is FF, always place newer ones in front.

So i always go for the moving tires! Not the following tires.

Our merc except A/B class are FR, so mostly if want to change only 2, than must put newer ones at the rear.

aiyo...obviously u never watch the video lor... Michelin says always mount them at the rear... hmm...

aiyo...obviously u never watch the video lor... Michelin says always mount them at the rear... hmm...

jedi upz you again, cause i just got to know this too haha, really a very important subject for me thanks.

Guest Jedi88knight

thanks guys...agree with Jenvid that balder tyres in front create more understeer...but generally speaking, even for FF drive cars it's better to put the new tyres at the back becos 1) it will somewhat offset some oversteer 2) the feedback to the steering allows you to make adjustments when you start to lose grip

You are right man, haven't watch it yet. My browser something wrong lei can't view currently.

hehehehe... time to change comp & car liow..........

• 4 months later...
Guest linuskmj

If you are changing just two tyres, its always recommended that the older tyres goto the rear as you always steer with your front tyres. If you change two, it is also best you try to change to exactly the same type of tyres, but nonwithstanding the best option of course is to change all four at the same time. Tyres are essentially your only form of contact with the road. :)

Guest Cklasse

I still feel that the 2 new tyres should go to the rear. I had encountered tail wagging (it's a W203) on a wet road bend with a worn rear tyre but thanks to ESP, the car was obediently brought back into the lane in split second.

Guest kepiting1sg

IMHO,

Better tires in the front.

In my driving experience I have on a few occasions with the rear tires losing grip

but I was able to steer the car back to safety. (U steer towards the direction of the slide)

Imagine when the front tires loose grip, you cannot steer the car anymore.

Guest blackmercs

IMHO,

In my driving experience I have on a few occasions with the rear tires losing grip

but I was able to steer the car back to safety. (U steer towards the direction of the slide)

errr for front or rear drive ride model?

Guest kepiting1sg

IMHO,

U mean a rear or front wheel drive with nearly bald tires in front will not lose grip?

If I remembered correctly that happened in my previous cars were rear wheel drive.

Guest blackmercs

IMHO,

U mean a rear or front wheel drive with nearly bald tires in front will not lose grip?

If I remembered correctly that happened in my previous cars were rear wheel drive.

so the lesson is that be it front or rear wheel drive, is better to change the front rite?

Guest kepiting1sg

so the lesson is that be it front or rear wheel drive, is better to change the front rite?

IMHCCBO,

Better to have the good tires in front!

Back lose grip, front can control!

Front lose grip! God bless U!

Guest m1122

IMHO, you all CEO, CFO, CIO, MD, PhD, BBBJ life worth $900 for 17" low profile set of tyres - got to change better change ALL 4. hahaha

Fully Agree :clap:

Guest kepiting1sg

IMHO, you all CEO, CFO, CIO, MD, PhD, BBBJ life worth $900 for 17" low profile set of tyres - got to change better change ALL 4. hahaha

wakakakakakakaka......what's more with so many kaisu & kiasi kakies around.....whahahahahha!!! :wifstupid:

Guest east539

wakakakakakakaka......what's more with so many kaisu & kiasi kakies around.....whahahahahha!!! :wifstupid:

yar yar...i am also one of the kaisu kiasi & kia a lot of things ppl...hehe

Guest kepiting1sg

Hahahahah.....I think we all the kiasi, kiasu....rotate tires, wear front back all abt sama sama....finally conclude...no brainer.....wahahahah! :wifstupid: