• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Now we know why KPE tunnel is 70km/hr.

Guest fruitcakepablohoney

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KPE is far too long... and 70 km/h is really a speed many drivers keeping a safe distance can react to typical situations, avoiding disastrous situations.

Imagine the time to run out of the tunnel in case of fire burning away the oxygen when serious unpredictable accidents happens.

Or toxic fumes flooding the escape route.

A case example is the Mont Blanc Tunnel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_Tunnel

Much I see in the tunnel is safety precautions probably based on construction standards at the time it is built.

However, no one can predict the "worst case" scenario which unfortunately happens more than calculated ones.

Guest angela

How come the cars lose control so easily ? I wonder what speed they are traveling at to lose control...

no traction control, look at the cars, can tell some of them are over 10 years old "boxy square kind" before TC was used in many cars.. and many rear wheel drive so once they lose control = buang.

other reasons are, roads too narrow. and dual carriage way no seperators... u over shot ard the bend view is block by tunnel wall so can't see oncoming like b road... = byebye..

also im wondering how those big truck topple over so easy.. like paper or made of wood...

Guest Sareve

Bad tyres maybe? Loss of grip due to idiots not replacing tyres when worn out or not pumping enough air could cause the vehicle to lose control. After all, these accidents don't happen regularly.

Drive at recommended speed, keeping good distance from front, looking at the front vehicle, staying awake though tired and sleepy, mind enough focus on driving, looking at the rear for signs of speeding heavy vehicle?, regular tyre upkeep and change, replacing brake pads, ensure enough brake fluid, ensure brake/signal/rear lights working, wiper working if rain or water splash the opposite lane 1, not drunk at wheel, cigrette dun fall on groin area, dun pick up keys if drop at driver floor, no blow/hand job, no manual sms, no emotions of anger/frustration/desperation/depression/excitement/revenge, no movies on front LCD... can think of anymore?

If it is not you, it has to be someone else...

Otherwise like some say, when it is time, it is time... :pray:

I ever witnessed such accident before and nearly fall victim of it. It is really scary... :death:

Was a passenger in my friend's car along the MacRitchie Viaduct along Lornie Rd.

A car in front suddenly hit the side of the road (I suspected that he fell asleep) and started dashing across the lanes... from right to left (exactly what we saw in the video clip). Luckily my friend braked in time and "siam" the car, plus heng there is no car directly behind us... if not.. I think I will be the one who kana worse.. because if the car is going to hit us, it will be the front passenger side that get it 1st. Luckily I never do any evil deeds (at least not too much ;D), so still alive and jumping today :clap:. But my heart almost come to a stand still at that moment. Took me a while to cool down man...

Well, sometimes it is just an't enough to be careful ourselves, our lives also depend on others.