• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W124 Transmission Hard Shifting from gears 2-3 and 3-4

Guest benzw124

Guest benzw124

My transmission is shifting rather hard while driving but is fine when i shift it into reverse or up and down the gear shift through PRND. There is no clunking sounds or any of that sort, it only shifts hard while driving. So now here is my dilema. My mechanic says that the car needs a new transmission which costs quite a bomb, while i have a gut feeling that it may be the bushings from the rear swaybar and rear differential which have most likely worn out over the years, thus causing the differential and swaybar to more violently when the transmission shifts. My mechanic doesnt see any point in changing the bushings as it would not solve the problem. :( My Benz is sick and i need advice from you fellow w124 owners to help me cure her. :pray: Ive changed both the transmission and engine mounts as well as the two flex disks and this shifting problem still persists albeit to a lesser extent now.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mr w124

I had the same experience. after overhauling the trans, the shifting was better but still jerky. then replaced the transmission valve body. got better but was still not smooth. finally changed the transmission mounting n its perfect now. but i also had the rear differential, propellers n flanging changed to the 16valve model as mine was noisy. so i cant really say if it was the transmission mounting prob or the differential prob. y dont u change the transmission mounting first n then see how it feels like?

Guest mr w124

What a coincdence. After posting here, went to start the car the next day n realized that i had lost 4th gear again. Car kept going into neutral after 3rd gear. Just replaced trans valve body abt 3 months ago so not sure what happened. Thankfully it happened after i came back from malacca. cant imagine having to go down the nsh with gear3 roaring away.

Guest clarkewan

in case anyone need to replace or repair auto transmission:

TOP SPEED MOTORS

20 Pandan Loop

Singapore 128328

tel: 67798562

fax: 67756003

look for gurbak singh (nick) 96819011 or santok singh (ah seng) 98414549

they got website too: http://www.automatictransmission.com.sg

cheers!!!

JUST FOR SHARING....

I AM NO WAY OR ANYWAY RELATED TO THEM.....

THANKS!

Guest mr w124

Car still running on 3 gears. Last time a recon valve body was fitted. 16valve one. Now mech tried another valve body still same prob. Sigh. waiting for another replacement to come. been driving at abt 80kmh in 3rd gear around 3.5 to 4k rpm. hope nothing breaks

guys. my problem is when the auto transmission shifts from 4th gear to stop. everytime, i have a slight jerk. i have already changed the shaft coupling. the jerk is almost non existence until i m stuck in traffic and the problem comes back again. any idea what is the problem?

guys. my problem is when the auto transmission shifts from 4th gear to stop. everytime, i have a slight jerk. i have already changed the shaft coupling. the jerk is almost non existence until i m stuck in traffic and the problem comes back again. any idea what is the problem?

Bro, yours is R170, i believe your gearbox is 5 speed type. Our w124's is 4 speed. From my mech, he said the 5 speed type is slightly different and its lifetime warranty by merc!