• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Tyre make

JFCC

Hi there

It was recommended that we change the original tyres that came with the car (S300L) with a mileage of 20K. The brand is Pirelli P Zero Rosso 255/45/18. Drive within SG only. Mileage as indicated averages 10K per year. I read up a little that tyre of such make ( and generally ) has a shorter lifespan as compared to the past!?. Anyhow thinking of changing it anyhow. Comfort and quietness are main priority. Cld anyone share what they have used which meet these two factors best. Appreciate it and thanks !  

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyres are generally designed to run for 30-40k... But also depends on your driving pattern....You change if you are uncomfortable with the grip or the  thread lines visible.... And if you are loaded... change every year also can...your $$$ so its your pick... But I believe your regular tyre man would advice promptly... unless he really needs the sales or he really hates you.... 

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Ah Bui, Thks.

Grip seems ok except noise level has gone up ( as expected from what I read) and thread looks quite ok still ( my untrained eyes). Just concerned that the recommendation was made ( by AD). Maybe I will drive to some "outside" shop to check it out. I guess AD do sometimes prescribed a more earlier than " expired date" to be on the safe side but I have no reason to doubt though as the person we dealt with thusfar in our view is a rather professional person.  Although I must say from what I read (on some user websites) and as I indicated, the current tyre make has a shorter life span it seems. Our driving style is rather pedestrian!  So if it can tahan a bit more I will hang on a little while. Interested though to hear still what experience (tyre make) are being used by others. Thanks

When I was on the S280 I was on michelin can't remember the model, 225/55/16 my tyre lasted me for 105k.

But all depends on ur driving habit, if you are the kind that brakes a lot, your tyre will wear off faster and do you do tyre rotation. Tyre rotation do double the lifespan

I feel p-zero is more comfortable compared to CSC 3 . Csc 5 is a bit hard, but depends on what kind you like.

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Look at the thread wear indicator to know when the grooves run out

Typically do not use a tyre that is more than 4-5years old from date of manufacture, which is marked on the tyre sidewall. 

Lastly, if you only drive in SG, within the speed limits, I would recommend Michelin Primacy HP. You can check with you favourite tyre shop for pricing or other recommendations. 

Look at the thread wear indicator to know when the grooves run out

Typically do not use a tyre that is more than 4-5years old from date of manufacture, which is marked on the tyre sidewall. 

Lastly, if you only drive in SG, within the speed limits, I would recommend Michelin Primacy HP. You can check with you favourite tyre shop for pricing or other recommendations. 

if above the speed limit leh? must use what tyres? :D

if above the speed limit leh? must use what tyres? :D

If over speed limit and kena caught.... you'll only need Ezylink card....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

• 1 month later...

Pirelli P Zero wears out very fast. Lasted only 15-20k max for me. At 55k mileage now and I've already changed tyres twice. Adding on the fresh ones that came with the car stock that means I'm on the third set of tyres now. #%(*$&^%(@(&@#$

• 2 weeks later...

Odessus ..I have the same experience with PPZ. As indicated in earlier post my mileage is hitting 21K soon and the PPZ performance deteriorates rather markedly when it hit 19/20K mark (esp. noise level gone up quite a bit, ride quality drops as well). PPZ is excellent when new but such a quick thread wear rate is not great. Have not had chance to change as yet but thinking of Michelin Primacy HP..

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I give a little update from the tyre change that I have made. Finally decided on Michelin Primacy HP 255/45/18. Have clocked abt 1400 KM with the new tyres. Pretty soft feel.  Quieter than the original Pirelli P Zero. Other performance changes that I cld detect i.e. with the PPZ, cornering feel smoother on tight turn (say U turn or making a reverse parking). Over small ridges or minor uneven surfaces, there is a somewhat more "cluttering or shimmy" being felt in the cabin. Don't recall I had this B4 with the PPZ although I did read that strangely with air suspension, there is tendency for such effect and certain tyre choices can alleviate or induce more of such effect?? Wonder anyone else has such experience. Anyhow, overall I am ok with the tyre given my "pedestrian" driving style where comfort and quietness are 2 main priority. Hopefully though the thread last longer than the PPZ (only 18-20K and towards the end of its thread life the ride was rather harsh and pretty noisy. So the Michelin is a welcome change and thanks for the input by various bros here.. Cheers  

Light footed on brakes will cause ur tyre to last longer

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Lighter footed on brakes will cause ur tyre to last longer