• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New owner of W140 S320L.

amgm125

Greetings to all SG Merc bros here

I'm a new owner of a 1997 W140 Mercedes-Benz S320L, which I've taken over from my relative in Malaysia. It's a Malaysia plate car & I'll only be using it leisurely in JB. Having owned Japanese performance rides all my life, this is my first merc.

The car's engine and gearbox are running fine but however there are a few interior wear and tear:

1. There's this rear mirror with light for the rear passengers which seems to have fallen out and needs to use masking tape to hold it in closed position.

2. Driver's side power window button seems to have sunken into the wood panel detailing,

3. There's 2 storage compartment at the dashboard, top and bottom. Bottom one can't open..

4. Brakes are very mushy, need to depress very hard in order for it to bite. The brake pedal almost feels like a manual car's clutch.

Besides those, there's the usual suspension and coil spring knocking sound and rattling sound in the driver's side door compartment. Are parts for W140 easier to source here in SG or JB?  Any reliable MB workshop around Bukit Indah area JB? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

amgm125

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, this was the car that I used to like and of course wish to own it. 

1>  Rear Mirror need to change but I think it will drop out again. Mercedes mirror during that Era wasn't well made.

2>  The power window control assembly inside plastic leg broken.  You may want to open it up and see can glue or strengthen the plastic.

3>  The lock mechanism broke ( my guess)

4>  You need to bleed the brakes and change to those good grade brake pads. Malaysian mechanics like to use Bendix brake pads, they are low dust but no grip.... You may want to look into new master pump too.

Finally, spare parts are very much cheaper in Singapore while Malaysia labour is surely cheaper. So buy your parts from Singapore and fix it in Johore.

Hopes it helps.

Hi, Better to buy new parts or repair them. Old parts not worth because the scrap yards call for 75% of the new price.

You can back order these parts from Tye Soon at Waterloo street auto centre.

Propel runs both Sg & MY scrap yard.

Sg Propel is situated at 28 Kranji Road

http://propel-auto.com/

You can find their JB contacts here

http://propel-auto.com/contact.php

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Thanks for the input bro carcrazy.

Any local scrapyards that specializes in W140 parts here?

Most prob I'll go to a workshop to see what parts are broken before I make a list of what to buy.

Propel is going to strip this 1999 S320L

http://propel-auto.com/details.php?mid=905

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

Thanks for the inputs bro.

Forgot to add that the front passenger side seatbelt is unable to retract back to is original position. It's just maxed out and left hanging. Not sure if I have to replace the whole set, heng called up propel and they've got spares.

I've just contacted their JB branch one too and intend to make a trip down sometime next week. It's a lot easier to drive the car there to have a look at what is needed and etc in their JB branch since its a M'sian plate car and I can't drive into SG..